/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Dialogue cringeworthy — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums
Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Dialogue cringeworthy

I know this isn't anything that can be adjusted at this point in the development, but it put me off so much I wanted to get others opinions. I'm only a few hours in but whenever I start a story mission where the characters cut to dialogue, the conversations are so rigid and awkward it makes my face contort. Obviously this isn't really the focus of this game but when they seemingly put in a lot of effort to filming the cut scenes and then add in unnatural dialogue flow it really takes me out of it. Anyone else?

Comments

• Yep, I have the same feeling. What makes it worse though, is the fact that you can't skip cutscenes. That's something that can and should be fixed. It's 2016, why can't we skip cutscenes? Even if I cared or liked the script and characters I still could be on the second or the third run through the game and I wouldn't want to sit through all the cutscenes one more time.

And I really doubt that when the Beta is over the saves will transit to the release version. I'll have to go through the cutscene-heavy beginning one more time.
  • You can skip cutscenes in full game. Already confirmed several times.
  • Naiko32
    2 posts
    edited April 2016
    Yes, honestly i was expecting something between this lines, i hope that in the full version we can skip, if not :sleeping:
    Post edited by EAMod_Mike on
  • Mallaky wrote: »
    You can skip cutscenes in full game. Already confirmed several times.

Sounds great!
    But where can I look for this kind of confirmed changes and fixes?

This is fine but shouldn't I WANT to watch the cut scenes they spent time and money to bother to put in?
  • What is actually cringeworthy? Is it something I said? Reunions can be a bit awkward...
    "Yeah yeah I'm sure the birds are real impressed Faith, but once you're done showing off think you might concentrate on some actual work?!!" - Merc
  • It's not what you say, it's how you say it. The dialogue just sounds like sound bites strung together. There's no flow or emotion to interactions. Maybe it's just me...

Reunions are definitely awkward. I spent a LOT of time with the first mirrors edge. Really got to know it intimately. Then you went away for a long time and left us here, uncertain of your fate, while you went out and found yourself. So I'm trying hard not to be too judgy. But it's going to take some time...

• IMO the dialogue is fine. Not the best, but it's certainly not terrible.
  • I have to agree with this one, I personally feel that both the writing and the reading of the dialogue seems a bit off, especially the conversations over the radio. Sounds far too rigid, and there's a whole lot of "take care Faith"-esque generic comments.
  • I think it's fine. Not good. Not bad. Just fine. Considering how cringe-y some of the dialogue in the original was, this is an improvement.
  • This thread lol. Thank god we can skip dialogue, if I have to sit through it again on release..
  • My flow is in running, not emotional interactions! ;-)
    "Yeah yeah I'm sure the birds are real impressed Faith, but once you're done showing off think you might concentrate on some actual work?!!" - Merc
  • I like the dialogue or atleast it doesnt bother me, i dont expect from DICE Naughty Dog or Rockstar type of writing, that has never been a DICE's strong point.
  • Dialogue/script is fine in my opinion and it is delivered excellently by the voice actors. A lot better than some games manage. Nothing ground breaking but definitely nothing here that would have me cringing. This is just my opinion of course.
  • Its fine, and tbh i kinda like Icarus more than other charaxters so far.
  • I think the dialogue is great so far. The characters were established and the interactions really set the tone of the game story. When I watch the cutscenes I do feel a tone of discomfort, but it feels as though it's intentional as opposed to a mistake. As though the characters are glad to see each other again, but things have changed between them greatly somehow and they don't know how to express it. The detail in the graphics compliments the story development this far as well.
  • I absolutely love the sound design in this game, however I find the voice acting in the original Mirror's Edge better. Haven't had any cringe moments from the dialogue, myself.
    ~Abincyp

Can you site your sources?
  • When I first started this game, It was almost as If I was playing Remember Me. Anyone else got the same feels?
  • Artemy wrote: »
    I absolutely love the sound design in this game, however I find the voice acting in the original Mirror's Edge better. Haven't had any cringe moments from the dialogue, myself.

Huh. With the exception of Merc and Faith I felt the original ME's voice acting wasn't as good as Catalyst.
  • I can agree with the rigid delivery of the radio dialogues. Faith always sounds exhausted, out of breath, which is reasonable, but leaves no space for other emotions.
    The cutscenes have a bit more emotional scale and depth, and and those are supported by excellent character animation. That part is really good. However, the Faith sometimes seems to hit a different tones than I would expect from the sript, which can be a bit off-putting, but nothing really serious.
  • Daneran wrote: »
    I can agree with the rigid delivery of the radio dialogues. Faith always sounds exhausted, out of breath, which is reasonable, but leaves no space for other emotions.
    The cutscenes have a bit more emotional scale and depth, and and those are supported by excellent character animation. That part is really good. However, the Faith sometimes seems to hit a different tones than I would expect from the sript, which can be a bit off-putting, but nothing really serious.

I saw a post in the forums made by Faith (@FaithConnors ?) herself that said she doesn't really express emotions either very well or at all if anything. It would make sense that her dialogue doesnt have much emotion, especially with her mentality.
  • I'm young and so stubborn, it's how I got here
  • I'm young and so stubborn, it's how I got here

It's good to see you getting back into the flow this time!
  • Yeah; it's not that the story seems to suck just as much as it did the first time around (I couldn't care less; the less story, the better), but this time it's much more in-your-face (not to mention the fact that it's being so widely advertised as something special--not so, my friends.)