/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
why bother trying to stop people from getting places — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

why bother trying to stop people from getting places

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

why bother trying to stop people from getting places

we can do it if we try
http://imgur.com/D7iiyR3
http://imgur.com/Kyf5mfg
http://imgur.com/fodTc4G
i've started with placing markers on where i've reached, the 3rd one is a nice view from the 2nd spot, the locations are pretty far out

Comments

• if there was no challenge, there would be no reward! ;)

seriously though, most of the collisions or ways of blocking the player are placed there for the more casual crowd, who generally doesn't play to explore all the places they can climb - it's to help them from getting stuck and from feeling lost.
    We still want to leave some places for you hardcore runners who like to explore, find the fastest route, highest point, lowest point, etc. so we have not closed off everything ;) just keep exploring and show us all the spots you can find! :D
    Level Artist - Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst
    I fight for the users!
  • if there was no challenge, there would be no reward! ;)

seriously though, most of the collisions or ways of blocking the player are placed there for the more casual crowd, who generally doesn't play to explore all the places they can climb - it's to help them from getting stuck and from feeling lost.
    We still want to leave some places for you hardcore runners who like to explore, find the fastest route, highest point, lowest point, etc. so we have not closed off everything ;) just keep exploring and show us all the spots you can find! :D

9a809cd43de310f7f8293cbe50b4492f.jpg

• I hope there is a way the street death barrier can be removed in the full game, like for example after you finish the main story (so you can't cheat before then XD). Roaming the streets is cool as well as finding the ways to get down there ;p I would like to know how you got onto the crane...I was searching but didn't find a way in the short time
    "Yeah yeah I'm sure the birds are real impressed Faith, but once you're done showing off think you might concentrate on some actual work?!!" - Merc
  • oh it was pretty simple, did you manage to get the secret document at the bottom of the crane?
    if you did then skip 1.
    1. if you didn't then, that involved running along scaffolding pole and then wall running and then jumping onto the ledge which is on the wall you're running
    2. jump onto the scaffolding pole nearby towards the operators side, jump up and you should grab onto the operators box, jump to the right in which you should grab onto the railing to climb over
    3. jump onto the operators box in which you'll find out that they put a board over the place you walk into the cranes tunnel, in order to get there is rather you ignore it and jump onto the box next to it and use a crouch jump to jump up on top of the tunnel in which allows you to walk along
    4. enjoy the view
  • Verilion
    5 posts Developer
    I will add to what Linnea said. :)

Few things kill immersion like invisible barriers. We don't want to upset you guys/gals. Some barriers are scattered here and there (they should be rare), they are usually just there to prevent the player from completely breaking the progression in the game. Those are the issues which we address primarily.

I'm on your side coolflamos. :) We know that people will find ways to exploit the geometry in the city to find their way to areas where they are probably not intended to reach.

We go by the rule that the player knows that they are exploiting the environment when they find their way to some of the areas you posted screenshots of. That's fine. If you reached an area on accident which is buggy (as a more casual runner), that is not ok. Hopefully we have covered most of those.

Inevitably, because this game has a lucrative exploration factor, we cannot account for all of the areas you will find, and I think that's okay, especially when you guys find it fun -- as long as you understand that you're in areas you were not intended to reach. :D

Keep up the running.

- Boström
  • FaithConnors
    133 posts
    edited April 2016
    Verilion wrote: »

Few things kill immersion like invisible barriers. We don't want to upset you guys/gals. Some barriers are scattered here and there (they should be rare), they are usually just there to prevent the player from completely breaking the progression in the game. Those are the issues which we address primarily.
    Inevitably, because this game has a lucrative exploration factor, we cannot account for all of the areas you will find, and I think that's okay, especially when you guys find it fun -- as long as you understand that you're in areas you were not intended to reach. :D

Keep up the running.

- Boström

Do you have any info on whether the street death barrier is here to stay or if it gets turned off after you finish the main campaign and whatever important missions? I know all the people and cars would probably look bad compared to up top but it's fun to reach the street where it is impossible for most casual players to access ;p
    Post edited by EAMod_Mike on
    "Yeah yeah I'm sure the birds are real impressed Faith, but once you're done showing off think you might concentrate on some actual work?!!" - Merc
  • Teto
    137 posts
    edited April 2016
    First ME had levels on ground, street and so on. But they were closed levels, with no NPC except cops and bad guys.
    If MEC allow you to run on street, that means that traffic must be devlopped, NPC variety, with things to do (like Assassin's Creed). That means money, money and... bugs, gamers who want to mod and so on.
    I think that's a choice from DICE to let the street be a part of the background, no more. It's cheaper, and the game is about Faith running on roofs (or underground), period.
    I'd like to play Faith in the middle of people, like in GTAV. But DICE wants to do something different of GTA, Watchdog or Assassin's Creed, and I think they're right. Imagine the commentaries of gamers about that : "Faith running on street : A Chinese Altaïr with red shoes. AC is enough, no need for more." Wooohooo...
  • Verilion wrote: »

I'm on your side coolflamos. :) We know that people will find ways to exploit the geometry in the city to find their way to areas where they are probably not intended to reach.

We go by the rule that the player knows that they are exploiting the environment when they find their way to some of the areas you posted screenshots of. That's fine. If you reached an area on accident which is buggy (as a more casual runner), that is not ok. Hopefully we have covered most of those.

Keep up the running.

- Boström

thanks, btw one of the buildings with a pass which requires the mag can be bypassed if you vault off the construction handling then go into a wall run and jumping off, just thought u might wanna know cause it means your gap wasn't big enough to stop me <3
  • Teto wrote: »
    First ME had levels on ground, street and so on. But they were closed levels, with no NPC except cops and bad guys.
    If MEC allow you to run on street, that means that traffic must be devlopped, NPC variety, with things to do (like Assassin's Creed). That means money, money and... bugs, gamers who want to mod and so on.
    I think that's a choice from DICE to let the street be a part of the background, no more. It's cheaper, and the game is about Faith running on roofs (or underground), period.
    I'd like to play Faith in the middle of people, like in GTAV. But DICE wants to do something different of GTA, Watchdog or Assassin's Creed, and I think they're right. Imagine the commentaries of gamers about that : "Faith running on street : A Chinese Altaïr with red shoes. AC is enough, no need for more." Wooohooo...

I wouldn't mind if they were closed levels with barely any NPCs, I just like the idea of running on the streets.