/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Beta Machinima and Feedback — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums
Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Beta Machinima and Feedback

Hi all!

So first of all, hope it is okay that I post this video here since there is not a category for fan content yet, but I can remove it if there is a problem and leave my feedback that I am throwing in here too.

I really enjoyed playing the game this weekend, and decided tonight on a whim to make a small machinima of it, especially since beta ends tomorrow.

On to my feedback:
The Good
The game feels a lot like the first Mirror's Edge in my opinion, which is not a bad thing at all. The one big thing I would have liked to have in the first game was more free roaming in the city... and this is exactly that, so woohoo!

The visuals looks great, and really gave me that old Mirror's Edge feeling. It is really great standing on ledges and just watching the scenery and I am looking forward to finding a really high point and just stand there, listening to the ambiance.

I love the face animations and voice acting. They fit well with the characters and really make them feel alive, especially showing their emotions. The story and character interaction is obviously way beyond that of the first Mirror's Edge, and looking forward to see the story unfold.

I really enjoyed the combat as well and it looked really awesome when you pulled of some punches, especially the small cinematics. The fact that you can keep running fast and stun guards as you run is really great too, making the situation feel fast and constantly flowing.

The time trials and "social play" was pretty fun, and it was fun trying to beat the leader's score and compete with a few friends. The bit of interaction I had with it, seemed like it worked well, but to be fair, I did not play that much with that feature.

Last but certainly not least, it was great hearing the Mirror's Edge music again. I wish there was more instances to hear it, but I am sure there will be more as the story progresses in the final game.

The Bad
Most of the bad things I have noticed have been mentioned in the Beta feedback, but here what was the worst that I saw.

1) Stutter during cinematics: This was really annoying after a few cinematics and really ruined some of it, especially since the game play is so smooth and then suddenly stutter in the cinematic. Some times was better than other.

2) Pop-in: I saw some really, really bad pop-ins of models and textures. At one point, I fell straight to the ground because a walkway have not loaded yet. Another time, I got stuck inside a building with a bunch of NPC's and could not leave anymore due to the windows that loaded after I got in there.

Textures tend to take some time to load as well and appear really low resolution till they pop in.
This can be due to the fact that my graphics was set too high (even though I usually got 60 FPS with recording software running) or that this game really require a SSD.

3) Background vehicles and NPC: It was a shame seeing the lack of quality in the background items, and by that I mostly mean the movement than the visuals. I understand the visuals can't be bumped too high, why load stuff that majority of people wont pay much attention too? (Although to be fair, here and there it would be nice to just have a little bump in the background visuals).

The thing that is a shame is seeing drones go through buildings, people walking with their lower body in the ground, the train not being on the track some times and cars driving erratic all across the road.

4) Model placement: There has been a few places that I saw wires hanging in the middle of the air or a building being placed to far over to one side, leaving a gap that you can see straight through (The building across from Elysium where you go through the window is like that). I also saw a train track pylon position right in the middle of a road. Nothing major, but it is silly seeing that stuff happen.

Well that was a lot longer than I initially intended!

The Thank You
Just wanted to also say, thanks to DICE and EA for another Mirror's Edge.
See you all on the rooftops!

Comments