/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Mini Map — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums
Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Mini Map

faethflex
54 posts
edited April 2016
It would be awesome to have a mini map in game so I can navigate without having to switch between the virtual instance of the map and the in game character camera. It would add to the fluidity (flow) of the gaming experience

Comments

• Totally agree. It was diving me q little crazy to have no minimap at all to give me a general idea of what the different paths were available in the area and where they could go besides just, "towards that building in the distance".
  • If you add this, PLEASE keep it optional.
  • No minimap please, the hud must be clean, also I don't like the enemy hp bars, this should be optional
  • DNA_Destroyer
    21 posts
    edited April 2016
    HeII no.
  • It could be a transparent grid like map on the top right. Optional of course.
  • As long as it's optional. I think the HUD is enough as is.
  • Mark the destination on the map and switch to full Runner Vision. That should guide you enough, and you can see the alternate path when you run.
    BUT minimap? No please.
    The tutorial sequence adresses it subtly: when you put on the BEAT lens and it goes glitchy, there is a minimap ANd a wether forecast AND a news feed AND a calendar or whatnot as HUD for you. Then Icarus cuts the GridLink armband off you and the they vanish.
    Because the runners don't need those, that is part of their freedom. They live on the rooftops and know them by heart.
  • Good lord, I didn't mean to put sticks up everyone's **** by agreeing with the original poster. Some people don't want to actually have to take the time to memorize all the routes cuz they don't have that kind do time. If I could I would, but it would help to have a simple minimap. I get why it makes sense in context of story, but I'm not faith nor do I have a phenomenal memory. A mini map makes it easier than having to constantly switch back and forth between the in game map or opening the map on my phone and constantly refreshing the website's map so it stays synced with what I'm doing in the game.
  • If it was an optional feature I believe it would compliment the immersion in game. My post was just a suggestion based on my experience and some speculation.
    Daneran wrote: »
    Mark the destination on the map and switch to full Runner Vision. That should guide you enough, and you can see the alternate path when you run.
    BUT minimap? No please.
    The tutorial sequence adresses it subtly: when you put on the BEAT lens and it goes glitchy, there is a minimap ANd a wether forecast AND a news feed AND a calendar or whatnot as HUD for you. Then Icarus cuts the GridLink armband off you and the they vanish.
    Because the runners don't need those, that is part of their freedom. They live on the rooftops and know them by heart.

I understand what you're saying, I didn't catch the details in the intro of the game so I didn't understand this point before I made this post. The thing I love about the game is it allows you to go through Faith's story, just as she is. She hasn't been running for a while, she's getting used to the new technology, she's got a young rebellious mind and all of the little details I've seen in the game thus far are really setting the game up for an awesome experience. I understand why she wouldn't want a mini map; she hasn't had one before. I just know that if it were my character in game, I'd be working on all kinds of features and upgrades to The Beat.
  • JpLeeva wrote: »
    No minimap please, the hud must be clean, also I don't like the enemy hp bars, this should be optional

The devs say that the enemy hp bars are optional( at least in the full game not sure how it was in the beta).

One of the things I liked about the first game was the realism and lack of hud. A minimap is unnecessary when you have runner vision and ugly. But if it is added, make sure its optional.
  • JpLeeva wrote: »
    No minimap please, the hud must be clean, also I don't like the enemy hp bars, this should be optional

The devs say that the enemy hp bars are optional( at least in the full game not sure how it was in the beta).

One of the things I liked about the first game was the realism and lack of hud. A minimap is unnecessary when you have runner vision and ugly. But if it is added, make sure its optional.

Dude I don't know. There was a pretty signifigant HUD in the first game. Unless you switched it off, you had this entire huge dot filling up your screen. And don't even get me started on when you picked up a gun, it was a dot, with a CIRCLE AROUND IT! The injustice of it all!

Though in all seriousness, I'm probably gonna completely turn of the HUD, maybe leave the health and flow on, if that's an option. I don't really like the circle in the middle that shows enemies. I feel like it's overkill.
  • HeII no.

Me