/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Lots of talk about the map size in the full game... — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

Lots of talk about the map size in the full game...

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Lots of talk about the map size in the full game...

So i have read a lot of the general discussions about the map size... how would you describe the full map though, Huge? Massive? Gigantic?? I'm so excited to just run around and explore... but are there more districts than Downtown, The Anchor and View that make up the map?? i must say the beta map we were given still was pretty big, playing in Downtown had lots to do. But how would you compare the Beta map to the actual full game map size???

Comments

• Beta was not even a half of the whole map as it was confirmed by a dev. There are indeed two more districts and an underground level, if not an another map at all.
    Don't get lost...
  • Simplex wrote: »
    Beta was not even a half of the whole map as it was confirmed by a dev. There are indeed two more districts and an underground level, if not an another map at all.

awesome!!! Can't wait! thank you, i was curious after all the talk on it...
  • so map of beta looks just a quarter of the city?
  • MyLife wrote: »
    ?????????

• Yes, the map we were given in the beta is supposedly 1/4 of the whole map in the full game... i was told that there are indeed two more districts added to the the existing three, (Downtown, The Anchor and The View) not sure what the other two districts are called. It was also stated by a dev, that with the full map, you will not be able to recognize the map section that was shown in the beta. so if this is right, the map will be huge, and also, there is a whole other map for under the city, which i guess is the tunnels that provide a whole new and interesting environment for us to explore as well as the whole city above... so we all shouldn't be disappointed when the game comes out. Also though, there will probably be a few large buildings for us to explore through as well, such as skyscrapers for us to climb, so the map will have a lot of consistency and things for us to do. I hope this helped!!!
  • Yes, the map we were given in the beta is supposedly 1/4 of the whole map in the full game... i was told that there are indeed two more districts added to the the existing three, (Downtown, The Anchor and The View) not sure what the other two districts are called. It was also stated by a dev, that with the full map, you will not be able to recognize the map section that was shown in the beta. so if this is right, the map will be huge, and also, there is a whole other map for under the city, which i guess is the tunnels that provide a whole new and interesting environment for us to explore as well as the whole city above... so we all shouldn't be disappointed when the game comes out. Also though, there will probably be a few large buildings for us to explore through as well, such as skyscrapers for us to climb, so the map will have a lot of consistency and things for us to do. I hope this helped!!!

One of them is the Development Zone.

Is that Like the name of the District???
  • In the final game there are three district (The View, Anchor and Downtown) if i not saying **** ! ☺️ But i,m not sure.
  • PolishFinnish
    45 posts
    edited May 2016
    <comment deleted sorry posted on the wrong page :P >
  • RobVaivodiss
    41 posts
    edited May 2016
    Yes, the map we were given in the beta is supposedly 1/4 of the whole map in the full game... i was told that there are indeed two more districts added to the the existing three, (Downtown, The Anchor and The View) not sure what the other two districts are called. It was also stated by a dev, that with the full map, you will not be able to recognize the map section that was shown in the beta. so if this is right, the map will be huge, and also, there is a whole other map for under the city, which i guess is the tunnels that provide a whole new and interesting environment for us to explore as well as the whole city above... so we all shouldn't be disappointed when the game comes out. Also though, there will probably be a few large buildings for us to explore through as well, such as skyscrapers for us to climb, so the map will have a lot of consistency and things for us to do. I hope this helped!!!

Is that Like the name of the District???

That's what it said on the beta map. It was north of the downtown area. Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHNfmEAtAMM

Clearly it wasn't in the beta physically, but it will most likely be in the full game.
  • As soon as the official map was posted on the website, I compared it to the map that you guys were talking about before. I went and outlined the area of the map that's actually in the game. Assuming that DVDSpike was right about the area in the Beta, the full game is many times the size of the Beta [img]htYnzl1.jpg
  • Red
    44 posts
    The Map has been updated you can now see the playable area http://www.mirrorsedge.com/map
  • I'm really interested though, because in another discussion someone posted a picture of a mirrors edge tweet in reply to someone. mirrors edge said that the whole city will be explorable... but how much is the whole city??? that whole area outlined in green??? if it is really that big, then that is awesome, but it is now kinda confusing me...
  • I'm really interested though, because in another discussion someone posted a picture of a mirrors edge tweet in reply to someone. mirrors edge said that the whole city will be explorable... but how much is the whole city??? that whole area outlined in green??? if it is really that big, then that is awesome, but it is now kinda confusing me...

Well I asked them on twitter if every building that is shown is playable space or if some of them are just background environment and they never replied.

The picture of the entire city is from a previous post speculating about the size. When the official map came out on the website, I compared it to that and outlined it in green. Basically, the picture is the map of the CITY, the green is the PLAYABLE AREA, confirmed by dev on Twitter, and the red is supposedly the area in the Beta.

TL;DR: Yeah, the green outline is playable. It's gonna be huge.
  • KSetay wrote: »
    I'm really interested though, because in another discussion someone posted a picture of a mirrors edge tweet in reply to someone. mirrors edge said that the whole city will be explorable... but how much is the whole city??? that whole area outlined in green??? if it is really that big, then that is awesome, but it is now kinda confusing me...

The picture of the entire city is from a previous post speculating about the size. When the official map came out on the website, I compared it to that and outlined it in green. Basically, the picture is the map of the CITY, the green is the PLAYABLE AREA, confirmed by dev on Twitter, and the red is supposedly the area in the Beta.

TL;DR: Yeah, the green outline is playable. It's gonna be huge.

I'm so happy to hear that, and now i'm over hyped :)

in twenty days, we play !!

• SPChanelSTH
    17 posts
    edited May 2016
    But if they make all of the background building playable this game will takeover the world. and take over GTA 5 too. maybe this game will be a biggest open world game ever (world record)
    But anyway. The shard building is playable....
    aulodp866cd.png
    I am the combat master :V
  • But if they make all of the background building playable this game will takeover the world. and take over GTA 5 too. maybe this game will be a biggest open world game ever (world record)

Negative, The Elder Scrolls: Arena has the honor to have the biggest open world ever made.
    Don't get lost...
  • Simplex wrote: »
    But if they make all of the background building playable this game will takeover the world. and take over GTA 5 too. maybe this game will be a biggest open world game ever (world record)

Negative, The Elder Scrolls: Arena has the honor to have the biggest open world ever made.

Randomly generated world. Not the same as a hand-crafted world. But sure, numbers are numbers.
  • well ok... i guess it will be huge!! but even if that whole area isn't playable it is still pretty big...
  • I wish devs didn't put so much of an emphasis on map size nowadays. A large open world is pointless if its not filled with interesting stuff to do, and most open world games suffer from repetitive missions and "checklist" type of design.

I hope im wrong but I fear MEC is going for a quantity > quality approach. I still wish they had kept the linear design of the original.
  • TwinB wrote: »
    I wish devs didn't put so much of an emphasis on map size nowadays. A large open world is pointless if its not filled with interesting stuff to do, and most open world games suffer from repetitive missions and "checklist" type of design.

I hope im wrong but I fear MEC is going for a quantity > quality approach. I still wish they had kept the linear design of the original.

I wouldn't be so sure if I had to be honest. They said that they built everything by hand in the City Of Glass with no 'repeated architectural geometry'. I would be hard pressed to believe that they didn't put time and effort into something of this size. Also, considering the mechanics and the exploration of first person parkour mechanics, there will be plenty of things to do, and places to climb, while players will contemplate how to get from point A to B. I'm so looking forward to this! The city of Glass felt like a maze of skyscrapers in the sky. :)