/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Announcement trailer VS now rant — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

Announcement trailer VS now rant

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Announcement trailer VS now rant

This is gonna be a one hefty, hopeful rant, just a warning.

<rant>
After playing the beta, I find myself coming back to the announcement trailer much more often than any recent trailers. The world had more of a metallic gray color, lacked other colors and felt cold... And as much as I like the color scheme the beta had (which was inevitably going to end up there since the original had it), I always hoped that that gray, colorless and cold world would end up in the game too. And the other districts don't showcase anything of that sort.

Okay, so, the announcement trailer was set in the Sylvine building. It had surreal high-tech architecture with opened areas, glass, smooth concrete and dark red alarm colors warning guards of your intrusion. It felt dangerous, cold and sharp. There just seems to be nothing like it anywhere else in the game (based from the current screenshots and videos we have now).

Maybe it was just concept art. To showcase and hype up the announce: it was still in the early stages of development. The trailer was pre-rendered after all and these levels don't have to exist in the game: they could just be swiftly made chunks of a level that served no other purpose but to be background scenery for the trailer.

And if this level does end up in the final release, it is probably gonna be altered with colors and flashing whites instead of metallic grays. Which will probably satisfy any other die hard fan but me. That announcement trailer is what me and lots of others looked up to for the entire two years since its release. Ive come to love that area so much and it just... CAN NOT not end up there, right? This is what was promised for two years straight, this is what I thought of every time I was reminded that the game is in the works.

Call me outdated or obsessed, but I did spend 26+ hrs on the beta and not a single hour went by without me hoping that there is more to this world.

Maybe its just paranoia and it will end up in the game. Maybe Ive got a chunk of what I wanted and now Im going mad over it...
But alright, worst case scenario is ill still spend 1k hours perfecting the open world until I know it by heart and then recreate the area from the announcement trailer in UE4 or Source or anything else I work with.

P.S. The announcement trailer looked cold and clean because of the lack of oversaturated dof, bloom, motion blur and lens flares which are all present (oooh boy are they present) in the beta.
</rant>
Don't get lost...

Comments

• I also preferred the original theme song, that plays at the end of the teaser. However, they changed it for CHVRCHES "Warning Call" that has a completely different feeling. Oh well, what can we do.
  • nag wrote: »
    I also preferred the original theme song, that plays at the end of the teaser. However, they changed it for CHVRCHES "Warning Call" that has a completely different feeling. Oh well, what can we do.

Oh, actually never knew they made the main theme tune, thanks!
    Don't get lost...
  • nag wrote: »
    I also preferred the original theme song, that plays at the end of the teaser. However, they changed it for CHVRCHES "Warning Call" that has a completely different feeling. Oh well, what can we do.

I know . To be honest, i love CHVRCHES. I have the liked the band for a while now, but i don't think CHVRCHES style of music matches with the theme of Mirror's Edge. When i think of Mirror's Edge, I imagine stark, near futuristic cities, runners, and a corrupt government oppressing millions of people. I think Solar Fields style of music matches this. However, i think CHVRCHES 1980-ish style of music better fits something like portal.
  • Teto
    137 posts
    edited May 2016
    I've just watched the teaser-trailer and I must admit that the blue-grayish tone of the final view of the city with Faith on the right is beautiful and much better than the tone we had for the beta (and what we'll have for the release for sure).
    But maybe there will be a solution : ENB series (for PC).
    Or like Talos Principle, different tones available in-game, but I don't count on that actually. ^^
    And don't forget that there's a day-night cycle, so what we had in beta is not all we'll have in the final game. Note: I didn't watch launch trailer to avoid spoilers.
  • Honestly watching that teaser trailer again and comparing to what I played in the beta has me very satisfied. So far IMHO Catalyst is shaping up very nicely. Also color corrections are usually easily changed with small mod packs but overall I'm beyond hyped for the full game release.
  • Teto wrote: »
    I've just watched the teaser-trailer and I must admit that the blue-grayish tone of the final view of the city with Faith on the right is beautiful and much better than the tone we had for the beta (and what we'll have for the release for sure).
    But maybe there will be a solution : ENB series (for PC).
    Or like Talos Principle, different tones available in-game, but I don't count on that actually. ^^
    And don't forget that there's a day-night cycle, so what we had in beta is not all we'll have in the final game. Note: I didn't watch launch trailer to avoid spoilers.

Dude, you should watch that trailer. It's gotten me so hyped (not that I wasn't hyped before). Doesn't give too many spoilers, just one that I can think of, but that one just leaves you wondering. Not too bad. It was an awesome trailer though.
  • Anyone else notice that Faith has a little bit more liveliness now than the 2013 version which looked a bit cold-hearted?
  • Teto
    137 posts
    Miss Pratchett has more maturity in its writing now, that could help.

Miss Pratchett is not the writer of Catalyst.
    Don't get lost...
  • Talking about the colors - is it just me or the colors are too saturated in the beta? Announce trailer has this metallic cold feel to it. The beta on the other hand feels too colorful and bright.
    Might be just me though.
    Don't get lost...
  • Teto
    137 posts
    Simplex wrote: »
    Teto wrote: »

What ?
    Simplex wrote: »
    Teto wrote: »

What ?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-08-mirrors-edge-writer-rhianna-pratchett-isnt-working-on-mirrors-edge-2
    Don't get lost...
  • Teto
    137 posts
    Oh, thanks. That's why her Wikipedia page didn't mention MEC... ^^
    It seems that she was upset though. I can imagine.