/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Suggestion for all the red objects and white buildings — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

Suggestion for all the red objects and white buildings

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Suggestion for all the red objects and white buildings

R3V3RS3PARADOX
5 posts
edited May 2016
I have a suggestion instead of just having the objects that you can interact with appear a solid red you could have a particle effect glowing red around those objects this way the city could look more like a normal city and the objects would only slightly stand out instead of making the game just feel like someone took red spray paint to everything you interact with. Same goes for the red splash for runners vision that shows you were to go more glowing and transparency would make it look a lot better. (Also maybe a different color then red would be better like maybe a neon blue instead might fit better.)

I also think that the buildings would make a lot more sense and look a lot better if they were all mostly a shiny black color the white hurts your eyes after a short amount of time also never seen a city with all white buildings but many have black and dark gray buildings. I guess it could be part of a futuristic type of look but I'd rather shiny black personally it could still be futuristic. (Part of the reason I would like this change is the white just leaves a feeling of incompleteness or a very basic feel but shiny black would fill more complete. Because 3d models start out white before any textures are added to them.) Now I'm not saying to do away with all white buildings but I think that most of the buildings being a shiny black would provide for a more polished look.
Post edited by R3V3RS3PARADOX on

Comments

• Cole
    28 posts
    edited May 2016
    Removing these is like removing Mirrors Edge out of Mirrors Edge.

The red indication and the white buildings give this game a unique look, which I absolutely love. I would have to politely disagree with your suggestions as I think it would be moving too far from Mirrors Edge if followed. Also with this game as late as in development (Just under 2 weeks!) as it is things like this wont be changing drastically.
    Post edited by Cole on
  • Cole wrote: »
    Removing these is like removing Mirrors Edge of Mirrors Edge.

The red indication and the white buildings give this game a unique look, which I absolutely love. I would have to politely disagree with your suggestions as I think it would be moving too far from Mirrors Edge if followed. Also with this game as late as in development (Just under 2 weeks!) as it is things like this wont be changing drastically.

Yea this would be a bad idea IMO as well. Its part of Mirror Edge's identity and would be sorely missed.
  • In a video I saw of the gameplay there is some parts that don't have the red items and the white buildings those sections look amazing and I think they really just need the red objects for like the beginning tutorials so that you can get a feel for which objects can be interacted with.
    Cole wrote: »

Making these changes wouldn't be as hard as you may think they could probably do everything I mentioned in 1-2 days of work or less if they have more then 1 person working on it which is most likely the case. I would say more but they already have the textures that they would need for the objects to have their real colors so all they would have to do is add them to those models. Even if some of them don't have any textures to use they could find/make them pretty easy making textures is much easier then making the models themselves which can take a lot longer. The glowing particle effects I mentioned would most likely be the hardest part of all of this but really they probably have a automatic generator for particle effects with the engine they are using to make the game so even that shouldn't be to hard.

• In a video I saw of the gameplay there is some parts that don't have the red items and the white buildings those sections look amazing and I think they really just need the red objects for like the beginning tutorials so that you can get a feel for which objects can be interacted with.

Making these changes wouldn't be as hard as you may think they could probably do everything I mentioned in 1-2 days of work or less if they have more then 1 person working on it which is most likely the case. I would say more but they already have the textures that they would need for the objects to have their real colors so all they would have to do is add them to those models. Even if some of them don't have any textures to use they could find/make them pretty easy making textures is much easier then making the models themselves which can take a lot longer. The glowing particle effects I mentioned would most likely be the hardest part of all of this but really they probably have a automatic generator for particle effects with the engine they are using to make the game so even that shouldn't be to hard.

Things break when you add, change, or remove something. I don't think it's as easy as you think.

If it is this easy though, I hope someone makes a mod to your liking one day.

The red glowing stuff is called Runner's Vision. Which can be turned off in the settings. But taking the white away is like asking you to sign something with someone else's signature, it's not you. Just like black buildings aren't Mirror's Edge, it just doesn't work.