/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
New Song Recorded by Lisa Miskovsky for Mirror's Edge Catalyst — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

New Song Recorded by Lisa Miskovsky for Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

New Song Recorded by Lisa Miskovsky for Mirror's Edge Catalyst

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EP4O0rqorQA

Back in 2013 when Mirror's Edge Catalyst was first revealed, they used snippets of a brand new song for the trailer featuring vocals by Lisa Miskovsky which were placed at the start of the trailer. The song is not a remix and is completely new, but is simply in a somewhat similar style to Still Alive, yet sounds more futuristic which fits the theme of Mirror's Edge Catalyst perfectly. We haven't heard any news about the song at all besides hearing a snippet of it in the 2013 debut trailer. It's quite obvious that Lisa Miskovsky recorded a new song for Mirror's Edge Catalyst, but there's no news at all.

Recently, a new song recorded by CHVRCHES called Warning Call was released for the Mirror's Edge Catalyst soundtrack. Apparently it's the theme song for the game, which is quite concerning.

Has the new song Lisa Miskovsky recorded for Mirror's Edge Catalyst been scrapped for the new song by CHVRCHES? What do you think?

Comments

• Still Alive was perfect. I would love Lisa to cover this ME too!
  • I wish they would use lisa's song instead of churches.
  • Ash
    99 posts
    If Lisa's song indeed was scrapped, then it's utterly disappointing. CHVRCHES song is nice, but imo, it doesn't fit Mirror's Edge at all. I don't feel anything towards this song when I think about Catalyst. But when I think about original Mirror's Edge I automatically hear "Still Alive". That song was perfect and I had hoped we would have another song from Lisa for Catalyst.
    And since we already heard snippets of her new song when Catalyst was revealed, then why suddenly change it?
    One, big disappointment. I was truly excited when I heard Lisa during reveal of MEC...
    "The Flow is what keeps us running... keeps us alive."
  • Ash wrote: »
    If Lisa's song indeed was scrapped, then it's utterly disappointing. CHVRCHES song is nice, but imo, it doesn't fit Mirror's Edge at all. I don't feel anything towards this song when I think about Catalyst. But when I think about original Mirror's Edge I automatically hear "Still Alive". That song was perfect and I had hoped we would have another song from Lisa for Catalyst.
    And since we already heard snippets of her new song when Catalyst was revealed, then why suddenly change it?
    One, big disappointment. I was truly excited when I heard Lisa during reveal of MEC...

Agreed. The new song previewed in the 2013 debut trailer sounds absolutely perfect. We may have only had a short snippet, but I'd argue it sounds better than Still Alive. The overall vibe of the song is genius.

We should try and find out what happened to the song. If they hear there's a demand for the song, they might release it. Who can we contact?
  • Well if anything they should release a full version of that song, it's probably too late for them to bring it back into the game if they haven't already...
  • Teto
    137 posts
    That's pretty funny. I listened the songs sung by Lisa on YouTube or Vevo, and it's the same feeling about the song composed by Chvrches for the new game : It's terrific (I love the new one) but other songs aren't that good, except very few ones.

Yes, it's disappointing if Lisa has composed a new song but was dropped out. But I think that the new one is in the mood of the game (especially for the end, I feel that the final mission won't be bold like action movies, but more sad, even it's spectacular). I watched the 2013 teaser trailer, and yes it's good, but no it's not terrific (for me).

That said, having the Lisa version on the soundtrack would be great (but impossible for many reasons I guess).
  • To be honest the music we got in the teaser was more than likely a quick throw together to have a similar song to build hype without knowing what the main theme song was going to be. Even Faith herself has changed which should be a good indication that what we saw and heard was far from set in stone.

Regardless though the song in the teaser was defiantly amazing and fit MEC very well. I like the new theme song and honestly it's not a big deal what the main theme song is, you're not going to be hearing it all that often (if at all) while playing the game.
  • Cole wrote: »
    To be honest the music we got in the teaser was more than likely a quick throw together to have a similar song to build hype without knowing what the main theme song was going to be. Even Faith herself has changed which should be a good indication that what we saw and heard was far from set in stone.

Regardless though the song in the teaser was defiantly amazing and fit MEC very well. I like the new theme song and honestly it's not a big deal what the main theme song is, you're not going to be hearing it all that often (if at all) while playing the game.

That's extremely unlikely and doesn't make any sense. It's clearly a snippet of an actual new song recorded by Lisa Miskovsky. With the way the snippet is played in the trailer, you can tell it has been cut off from a longer song. Plus, why would they go through all of the trouble to get Lisa Miskovsky to record "Na, na, na na." just for the trailer? It's her voice.

I'm not really bothered about what the main theme is. I'd just like them to release this song. I'm worried we'll never hear it.
  • Cole
    28 posts
    edited May 2016
    Merc wrote: »
    Cole wrote: »
    To be honest the music we got in the teaser was more than likely a quick throw together to have a similar song to build hype without knowing what the main theme song was going to be. Even Faith herself has changed which should be a good indication that what we saw and heard was far from set in stone.

That's extremely unlikely and doesn't make any sense. It's clearly a snippet of an actual new song recorded by Lisa Miskovsky. With the way the snippet is played in the trailer, you can tell it has been cut off from a longer song. Plus, why would they go through all of the trouble to get Lisa Miskovsky to record "Na, na, na na." just for the trailer? It's her voice.

I'm not really bothered about what the main theme is. I'd just like them to release this song. I'm worried we'll never hear it.

It makes sense.

You don't have to create a full song if you're only needing a small segment. Not to mention this could have really been just a demo of a song that was never finished.

That "Na, na, na, na" could have been another person, or old assets from the previous game that were not used.

Edit: And in all honesty I would love to have the full version of the song myself. I'm just staying there's a high chance this song was never finished and we will never hear it in its entirety.
  • Cole wrote: »
    Cole wrote: »

It makes sense.

You don't have to create a full song if you're only needing a small segment. Not to mention this could have really been just a demo of a song that was never finished.

That "Na, na, na, na" could have been another person, or old assets from the previous game that were not used.

Edit: And in all honesty I would love to have the full version of the song myself. I'm just staying there's a high chance this song was never finished and we will never hear it in its entirety.

Your argument doesn't make sense at all. That's definitely Lisa Miskovsky's voice and she's singing the tune which is repeated in the snippet of the song itself. Why would they go through the trouble of getting Lisa Miskovsky to record "Na, Na, Na, Na" just for the trailer? Why would they feature Lisa with a new song in the first few previews of Mirror's Edge Catalyst if they had no intention of using the song or featuring Lisa on the soundtrack? Also, why would they feature an unfinished new track in the previews instead of using a finished track from the first game? None of your points make any logical sense.

It's blatant that Lisa Miskovsky recorded a new track which was featured in the first few previews of the game, but has more than likely been scrapped for the more popular CHVRCHES. Lisa Miskovsky's new song was the main theme of the first few previews, but there has been no sign of the song since it was last featured in the E3 2014 preview of the game.

The short snippets of Lisa Miskovsky's new song are far better than the song CHVRCHES recorded. I'd argue those snippets were better than Still Alive as well. I believe Lisa Miskovsky recorded a masterpiece which we will never hear.
  • Mildocjr
    105 posts
    edited June 2016
    Yeah I just want to say that as I do music producing as a hobby, I can tell that those vocals definitely don't determine whether or not it was Lisa unless she comes forward and says "yeah it was me." Aside from that those vocals which if it is her, have been ripped from one of her other tunes you can tell this because after the vocals go Na Na Na, it's a terrible cut with a fade into the loop, you can hear the reverb cut right before the fade in. Also, if you look up Lisa's music this is not her style. Still Alive is about as wild as she ever got.

It's relatively easy to get the same guitar sound that she used in Still Alive, then create a backing track with 7 instruments that loop over a course of 16 bars. With another 16 bars thrown in after 4 phrases that plays for 2 phrases and every once in a while comes back to "Na Na Na." Not much effort put into it as it was just a demo. It also could have been made by anyone. Since this was also posted by not dice, it's someone's home grown music. I have several tunes that I haven't figure out something to do with it that do this just for reference.

I hate to crush dreams and hurt feelings with my post but to my ears this is the equivalent of a cheesy B movie with obviously fake explosions in it.

This is something that I last worked on for fun, but even it evolves over time and includes more dynamic elements in it than that demo, took me about 2 months to get it where it's at. With that being said it's not radio material.

https://soundcloud.com/djmildocjr/dreaming-in-solitude

EDIT: Yes those are her "Na Na Na's" they come from the song "Got a Friend" from her album Violent Sky which came out in 2011. Was this her recording? Probably not, and I'll leave that up to someone else to shazam it to see if it's someone else's material or if it's actually home grown like I fairly certain it is.

If you want a sample that is mixed properly of the Solarfields main theme to whet your appetite before the soundtrack releases here you go https://youtu.be/w_pl6Up1wes
  • Mildocjr wrote: »
    Yeah I just want to say that as I do music producing as a hobby, I can tell that those vocals definitely don't determine whether or not it was Lisa unless she comes forward and says "yeah it was me." Aside from that those vocals which if it is her, have been ripped from one of her other tunes you can tell this because after the vocals go Na Na Na, it's a terrible cut with a fade into the loop, you can hear the reverb cut right before the fade in. Also, if you look up Lisa's music this is not her style. Still Alive is about as wild as she ever got.

It's relatively easy to get the same guitar sound that she used in Still Alive, then create a backing track with 7 instruments that loop over a course of 16 bars. With another 16 bars thrown in after 4 phrases that plays for 2 phrases and every once in a while comes back to "Na Na Na." Not much effort put into it as it was just a demo. It also could have been made by anyone. Since this was also posted by not dice, it's someone's home grown music. I have several tunes that I haven't figure out something to do with it that do this just for reference.

I hate to crush dreams and hurt feelings with my post but to my ears this is the equivalent of a cheesy B movie with obviously fake explosions in it.

This is something that I last worked on for fun, but even it evolves over time and includes more dynamic elements in it than that demo, took me about 2 months to get it where it's at. With that being said it's not radio material.

EDIT: Yes those are her "Na Na Na's" they come from the song "Got a Friend" from her album Violent Sky which came out in 2011. Was this her recording? Probably not, and I'll leave that up to someone else to shazam it to see if it's someone else's material or if it's actually home grown like I fairly certain it is.

If you want a sample that is mixed properly of the Solarfields main theme to whet your appetite before the soundtrack releases here you go https://youtu.be/w_pl6Up1wes

Great post, thank you. I've done quiet a bit of producing myself as a hobby (FL Studio my love). I think the direction the song was going was pretty awesome but I honestly believe there wasn't any full tracks made. The amount of unifished tracks I have is way too high lol.
  • Mildocjr wrote: »

You don't really seem to know much about the track. It wasn't made by a fan. The uploader of the video I linked to simply made an extended version. The track was featured in the 2013 debut trailer for Mirror's Edge Catalyst as well as the 2014 E3 preview of Mirror's Edge Catalyst. It's DICE's track.

You can clearly hear it's Lisa. It's definitely not sampled from one of her past songs. She's singing entirely differently in the reference you provided. It's an official original track for Mirror's Edge Catalyst. The game has changed direction along with Faith being redesigned since those early previews of the game. It's pretty obvious that Lisa was swapped out for CHVRCHES.
  • FaithConnors
    133 posts
    edited June 2016
    Sing to me, why won't you sing to me? Why won't you sing like you did a long long time ago? It was such a long long time ago...
    "Yeah yeah I'm sure the birds are real impressed Faith, but once you're done showing off think you might concentrate on some actual work?!!" - Merc
  • Merc wrote: »
    Mildocjr wrote: »

You don't really seem to know much about the track. It wasn't made by a fan. The uploader of the video I linked to simply made an extended version. The track was featured in the 2013 debut trailer for Mirror's Edge Catalyst as well as the 2014 E3 preview of Mirror's Edge Catalyst. It's DICE's track.

You can clearly hear it's Lisa. It's definitely not sampled from one of her past songs. She's singing entirely differently in the reference you provided. It's an official original track for Mirror's Edge Catalyst. The game has changed direction along with Faith being redesigned since those early previews of the game. It's pretty obvious that Lisa was swapped out for CHVRCHES.

You won't believe the magic equalizers, filters and distortion can do to sounds. This could have been anyone's voice.
    The bit from the announcement trailer is a typical EDM progression that could have been made by any serious producer. Add the chords from the original tune and there you have it.
    The bottom line is that no one knows for sure and we just have to deal with it.
    Don't get lost...
  • Simplex wrote: »
    Mildocjr wrote: »

You won't believe the magic equalizers, filters and distortion can do to sounds. This could have been anyone's voice.
    The bit from the announcement trailer is a typical EDM progression that could have been made by any serious producer. Add the chords from the original tune and there you have it.
    The bottom line is that no one knows for sure and we just have to deal with it.

I'm well aware of how audio can be manipulated, but that's certainly not the case here. Obviously it's Lisa. You must be unfamiliar with her voice if you are unsure. It's not the chords from Still Alive. It's a whole new song.

No one knows what happened to the song, but that's why this thread was made. We should push for DICE to respond and hopefully include it in the soundtrack.
  • I dunno, this sounds way too much like some generic club piece.
  • Merc wrote: »

You are right in that I don't know much about the track, but I do know a few things about sampling tracks. My point still stands that part of it could have been pulled from the track I mentioned, although, as a guy with a tenor voice, I can sing into a microphone and alter the audio so I sound like an alto female opera singer, a chipmunk, or even an electric guitar using a wah pedal. As far as it being a loop over what was used at E3, I didn't remember it, however, I did mention that I have songs that loop like that too when I'm not quite sure what I want to do with them. As for this it was just a placeholder. Since then music tastes have changed, apparently we keep moving in and out of the 80s and 90s due to mixed reactions, this is why it's hard for some people to accept the 80s sounding tune that CHVRCHES published.