/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
A "Very Low" setting for PC users — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

A "Very Low" setting for PC users

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

A "Very Low" setting for PC users

qreeves
17 posts
edited June 2016
As a person with a terrible computer (Intel Core 2 Quad 9300 @ 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 1GB Nvidia GTX 650, Windows 10) I decided to spend some time developing "Very Low" setting so that others might enjoy Mirror's Edge Catalyst even if their system specifications don't match minimum requirements.

UPDATE: DICE has kindly included a more advanced way of controlling rendering quality. I am updating this post to advise users they can now use in-game settings to improve performance.
  • If you get "Out of Memory" errors, try increasing your page file to a fixed size of 8 to 12 GB
  • In-game you can press GRAVE/TILDE (`/~) to open up the developer console. I suggest "GameTime.MaxVariableFps 60" at the very least. The console shows available commands as you type and supports TAB completion.
  • You can create a "User.cfg" in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mirror's Edge Catalyst\" for any settings you find useful and want to keep around permanently.
  • I find a resolution of 1280x720 with a render scale of 0.75 and post-processing set to "Low" or "Medium" to be a decent trade-off.
Example "PROF_SAVE_profile" settings:
GstRender.AmbientOcclusion 0
GstRender.AnisotropicFilter 1
GstRender.AntiAliasingDeferred 1
GstRender.AntiAliasingPost 1
GstRender.Brightness 0.500000
GstRender.ClampGpuMemory 1
GstRender.Contrast 0.500000
GstRender.EffectsQuality 0
GstRender.Enlighten 0
GstRender.HaveNewQualityLevel 1
GstRender.LightingQuality 0
GstRender.MeshQuality 0
GstRender.MotionBlur 0
GstRender.OverallGraphicsQuality 6
GstRender.PostProcessQuality 1
GstRender.ReflectionQuality 0
GstRender.ResolutionHeight 720
GstRender.ResolutionScale 0.75
GstRender.ResolutionWidth 1280
GstRender.ShaderQuality 0
GstRender.ShadowQuality 0
GstRender.TerrainQuality 0
GstRender.TextureFiltering 0
GstRender.TextureQuality 0
GstRender.ThreadMaxProcessorCount 4
GstRender.TransparentShadows 0
GstRender.UndergrowthQuality 0
Example "User.cfg" settings:
GameTime.MaxVariableFps 60
PerfOverlay.DrawFps 1
PerfOverlay.DrawFpsMethod 1
PerfOverlay.DrawGraph 0
PerfOverlay.DrawGraphMethod 1
PerfOverlay.Enable 1
PerfOverlay.FpsDisplayFormat 0
PerfOverlay.FpsDisplayOffsetX 10
PerfOverlay.FpsDisplayOffsetY 10
PerfOverlay.FpsDisplayScale 2

Enjoy!

DISCLAIMER: This content is provided on an "as-is" basis. I accept no liability if this cooks your computer, blows up a shopping mall, robs you of your free will, or any other adverse effects of any kind.
Lead Developer for the free casual arena shooter featuring parkour, Red Eclipse.
Post edited by qreeves on

Comments

• Dodj33
    1 posts
    edited June 2016
    Cool! I have Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 @ 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 1GB Nvidia GTX 650ti. It is almost but not quite playable at low - too unpredictable. Was hoping that day 1 patch plus new nvidia driver would help but this sounds promising.
  • I checked and the User.cfg file is not in my Mirror's Edge Catalyst folder nor any of the other folders under Origin Games.

I also looked in the My Documents\Mirror's Edge Catalyst\ folder and only found my profile files there.

TQQdles™
    Member, The Older Gamers (TOG)
  • You need to create it, which is why I suggest right clicking the "Raw" button and selecting save as; you can then drag the file to the install folder.
    Lead Developer for the free casual arena shooter featuring parkour, Red Eclipse.
  • when i start the game i see a balck window and the game crash.
  • Help, I was robbed of my free will, I don't know what to do.