/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Is Mirror's Edge Catalyst better than the first Mirror's Edge? — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

Is Mirror's Edge Catalyst better than the first Mirror's Edge?

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Is Mirror's Edge Catalyst better than the first Mirror's Edge?

For those who have played it, is Mirror's Edge Catalyst better than the first Mirror's Edge? How does it compare to the original?

Comments

• Merc wrote: »
    For those who have played it, is Mirror's Edge Catalyst better than the first Mirror's Edge? How does it compare to the original?

I think so, better and smoother gameplay/mechanics, better storyline, and there's an open world which the original didn't have. Downside is there's a lower skill ceiling (from what we know) and the time trials/dashes aren't nearly as competitive as the first one.
    "I'm gonna' run."
  • Short answer, yes.
    • The mechanics are far smoother than in the original.
    • The story is bigger and has differences from the original as well.
    • There's Open World now, so if you don't want to do anything specific and just want to sit there and see Glass pass by for a while, you can do that.
    • There's player made runs for PvP. Meaning, PvP is no longer just "who can finish this mission faster", but now we have an added "who can get from A to B faster than I did"
    • The flow of the game is impeccable when compared to the original. In the OG you had lots of stops due to tube, walkways and elevators, in this one, (at least in the Closed Beta) I had none of that. For that matter, after about an hour of ignoring the main missions and just doing side missions and running from one place to the other because there was nothing stopping me, I had to force myself to get out of the game because the smoothness of it all made time go by way too fast.
  • I loved the first game and I've been mentally weighing the pros and cons compared to the first game:

CONS:
    - Sideways wallrunning (It works differently in this game, for whatever reason. Feels chunkier.)
    - Icarus is a ****.
    - Cutscenes lag horrendously (Apparently they'll fix it soon)

PROS:
    - Combat is far better than the first (every hit is based on your momentum in some way. It's more well integrated with the freerunning, too)
    - Story
    - Great graphics
    - Gadgets (grapple hook, fan hack, ect.)
    - More methods of traversal
    - Open world (pretty big map, too)

EITHER:
    - Collectables & Errands (typical open world stuff)
    - The new shift mechanic brings you up to full speed instantly (probably inspired by the exploit from the first game.)
    - You are basically invincible if you don't stop freerunning (mind you it takes a while to build up this 'focus shield,' though.)
  • Well atleast theyre fixing the exploits this time around, hated seeing other player ghosts flying over the map in first one.
  • dandrix wrote: »
    Well atleast theyre fixing the exploits this time around, hated seeing other player ghosts flying over the map in first one.

Those weren't exploits, those were people using trainers, which, long story story short, are hacks. However, there were a lot of exploits, but that only raised the skill ceiling, for example the wall jump kick glitch.