/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Game keeps freezing for 5 - 10 seconds every 30 seconds. — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

Game keeps freezing for 5 - 10 seconds every 30 seconds.

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Game keeps freezing for 5 - 10 seconds every 30 seconds.

The game has become unplayable. I was playing it fine last night and I think it was after a death then it kept freezing. The game chose ultra settings for me so I thought there was a problem there. I lowered the settings and it didn't make a difference. I turned off vsync but still no difference. When I could play the game was very smooth with no issues., that was for about 3 hours .

My specs are
Asus Hero VIII with i5 6600
16 Gigs GSkill Trident
Gigabyte 980 TI
Running on SSD both OS and game

The problem happened once so I restarted and was running GPUz as well as watching task manager. Everything was going fine then when it started happening my CPU went to 100% and stayed there, on all four cores, and the GPU usage went basically on and off while this was happening from 0 - almost 80%. I shut down my PC because it was unplayable and when I started it today the same thing happened. I am playing because of Origin Access and was going to buy the game but this is a deal breaker unless there are others who have seen this issue and know what is causing it. I searched the forums and google and can't find a similar problem.

I turned off everything like G Force experience but no difference. Thing is it is not just the game the menus do the same thing when it happens so I have to use task manager to stop the game. The memory usage doesn't seem to go above around 8 gigs no matter what. The game was fun when I was able to play it for the 3 or 4 hours and the environment blows me away.

Has anyone else seen this?

Comments

• The game has become unplayable. I was playing it fine last night and I think it was after a death then it kept freezing. The game chose ultra settings for me so I thought there was a problem there. I lowered the settings and it didn't make a difference. I turned off vsync but still no difference. When I could play the game was very smooth with no issues., that was for about 3 hours .

My specs are
    Asus Hero VIII with i5 6600
    16 Gigs GSkill Trident
    Gigabyte 980 TI
    Running on SSD both OS and game

The problem happened once so I restarted and was running GPUz as well as watching task manager. Everything was going fine then when it started happening my CPU went to 100% and stayed there, on all four cores, and the GPU usage went basically on and off while this was happening from 0 - almost 80%. I shut down my PC because it was unplayable and when I started it today the same thing happened. I am playing because of Origin Access and was going to buy the game but this is a deal breaker unless there are others who have seen this issue and know what is causing it. I searched the forums and google and can't find a similar problem.

I turned off everything like G Force experience but no difference. Thing is it is not just the game the menus do the same thing when it happens so I have to use task manager to stop the game. The memory usage doesn't seem to go above around 8 gigs no matter what. The game was fun when I was able to play it for the 3 or 4 hours and the environment blows me away.

Has anyone else seen this?

Maybe reinstall?
    "I'm gonna' run."
  • I reinstalled, I deleted my profile and started a new one, updated NVidia drivers with a clean install and restarts etc etc and nothing helps. The time I did actually play was enjoyable but this is not a game I will buy I guess. No point paying full price for a broken game (broken to me). I am not prepared to reinstall Windows to play a game and besides, this install is only a few months old. I find it odd not a single person out of the 60+ views has this same issue. I was hoping it would help me figuree out what may be wrong.

I can play Doom on Ultra, GTA V on highest settings and I am using a Dell GSync monitor at 1440P but this game is unplayable for some reason. Sadly I will have to pass on this one until a few patches down the road which is too bad I was looking forward to it. I am just thankful I didn't pre-order and was able to try with Origin Access as I would have been upset if I had to pay $72 for a game I can't play. For everyone else, enjoy the game, it seems like a great game and lots of fun.
  • What drivers were you running the game on?
  • NVidia 368.22
  • I have he exact same issue.

The game launched midnight here. I have been playing it for 45 minutes with a lot of freezing.

My game freezes for a second or two every 30 seconds.

Also textures are oddly very blurry.
  • Restart the computer.

After restart if it doesnt work, try going offline in Origin.
  • Can't play the game offline, at least I couldn't play the trial through access offline. Likely something to do with having your profile shared etc. If this is online only thats likely part of the problem.
  • NVidia 368.22
    I would recommend trying an earlier stable version of drivers and see if you're still having issues. To bypass the driver check simply rename the nvapi64.dll in Windows/System32.
  • I have the same issue. It played fine around 3 this morning when it finished installing for about two hours and has been freezing nonstop since I booted it once I woke up. Nothing of the above has fixed it so far.

My rig:
    GTX 760
    HERO VII - i5-4460
    Driver version: 368.39
  • I tried 365 drivers and same thing. I don't remember exact version I'm not at home.
  • I wonder if it's lagging because more people are playing now? But that wouldn't explain why it's still lagging in offline mode.
  • Bubbaganoosh
    17 posts
    edited June 2016
    Double post
  • AustinPaquette
    18 posts
    edited June 2016
    I have the same problem as everyone else. It played fine last night (besides the annoying desync in cutscenes), and now today when I try to play again, it freezes constantly rendering it unplayable. I hope those 2 things get fixed soon or I'm going to be even more annoyed than I am now as I've basically paid $60 for a lagging simulator. I'm under minimum specs but it played flawlessly after the initial install.
  • Teto
    137 posts
    @all : Have you overclocked GPU/CPU ? I've read somewhere that it can be the cause of your freezes (no source, sorry).
  • No overclocking here.
  • Likewise no overclocking here.
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one, hope they fix it so I can buy the game.
  • coth
    55 posts
    edited June 2016
    Not 5-10 seconds every 30 seconds, but having microstutters every stable 5 seconds on GTX 970 with 16 GB RAM. Heell of annoying.
  • coth
    55 posts
    edited June 2016
    seem to be around every 4 seconds

Switched to ultra textures and seems no microstuttering anymore. So might be lack of VRAM.
  • Not lack of VRam for me I have a 980 TI. I started at Ultra and the game ran fine, now it's freezing, not my hardware that's the problem. It does it if I have settings on low, medium, high, or ultra.
  • When I start the game I alt tab out and start task manager and set priority to high and the problem is solved. I am glad it fixes the issue but I shouldn't have to do that to play the game considering I have never had to do that before. for any game.

I hope this helps anyone else who has this problem.