/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Expect a bland story — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums
Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Expect a bland story

Most of the reviews that are already out claim that story is nothing special once again. They also claim that the fighting mechanic is flawed and repetitive and the skill trees are useless. Now as far as we're concerned, we're not here for the story (mainly, it would be nice, of course) and the fighting system is up to you to judge. Same goes for the skill trees, but they have a purpose and are a good addition if you ask me.

As for the rest - it's all praised. So nothing to worry about.
Don't get lost...

Comments

• I actually liked the fighting

Aaannnd its not like any fighting mechanics in any game are not repetitive. They are - everywhere, in every game after you play it a bit/a lot
  • sage12345
    1 posts
    edited June 2016
    Nobody likes the combat because no reviewer tries.
    The game keeps hammering you with "MOVE IN COMBAT" and every single preview or review I've seen has them standing in front of a dude mashing heavy attack.
    Combat becomes enjoyable when you start using it right. It's an extension of your free running.
  • Mukar
    40 posts
    edited June 2016
    I freaking love the combat. It has a degree of skill involved and when done correctly is downright boss. This is an easy 8 or 9/10 for me with the only drawback being the story. It takes a lot from the Orwellian 1984 playbook, adds in elements of backstory from the first game and boom. From what I've played so far, that's it. I wouldn't say it's a bad story, but it could have much more substance to it and the implementation of it just doesn't work. It feels strung together by a thin twine like an elder scrolls game. The only difference being this one is mandatory to get certain items and to reach certain areas. The dialog isn't bad, but it's too short and to the point. Not much room was given into much else besides the story's main drive. That's the flaw. The rest of the game, however is more than good enough to earn it high scores. Especially with a Team Fortress-like game pulling perfect scores. Sorry, I just don't understand the overwatch hype. Mirror's Edge is much better and gives you much more for your money IMO.

EDIT: The story picks up on the mission after where the trial ends. It's getting good now.
    Post edited by Mukar on
  • Absolutely hated the fighting mechanics in beta, but story was nice from what i got to see, characters also arent as bad as the reviewers might suggest. IGN's review in particular is a joke, it was done by same guy who gave Alien isolation a 5...
  • Mukar
    40 posts
    edited June 2016
    dandrix wrote: »
    Absolutely hated the fighting mechanics in beta, but story was nice from what i got to see, characters also arent as bad as the reviewers might suggest. IGN's review in particular is a joke, it was done by same guy who gave Alien isolation a 5...

Alien Isolation is my favorite horror game...probs in part because it's the only one to actually give me chills. I'll probably finish the story tonight after I get off work before posting my final opinion here. Idk what the "these characters are unlikable" bit is about. I mean if Faith, Noah, Birdman, Plastic and Icarus (not actually a jerk) aren't likeable, then I'd like people to tell me what makes a character likeable and give me some examples. I swear people's standards skyrocketed because they heard it would be different than the norm...just like the first game...guys...It's the mirror's edge syndrome.

Edit: it's amazing what the forums considers to be profanity.
  • KSetay
    25 posts
    edited June 2016
    I thought that the story was going in a really good direction as I was playing through, then I got to the last missions, and I'm like, "that's it?" I was sort of disappointed about where it ended. It was intense and kept me hooked throughout the rest of it though. Now I'm running around, collecting floating ball thingies.
  • I don't know what the reviewers are talking about. I think they must be expecting something like "The Last of Us" - which I really wasn't a big fan of. For me, the story in Mirror's Edge 1 was cool - but i certainly wasn't picking my jaw up off the floor whenever a cutscene played. I honestly felt the world, the music, and Faith moving through it was helping create a lot of story for me. The cut-scenes simply helped link the various spaces, and gave me a reason to be interested in why I was there, and what I was doing. I'm expecting it to be this way in Catalyst as well.
  • The story is great, (I've finished it, and all the sides,) and the collectables add significantly to it. Very faithful, (pun intended,) with an open, but satisfying end.

If you enjoyed the first, you'll definitely enjoy this.
  • The story overall was very engaging and despite being heavily cliché and predicable was extremely enjoyable. My only real complaint is the way it was ended felt not only too soon, but rushed and out of place with the rest of the story. Overall it wasn't bad though. Definitely better than the first.
  • Teto
    137 posts
    edited June 2016
    How many main chapters ? (I didn't play it yet, I'm unfortunately European)
  • yeah but... what happened with Merc? and Jacknife? Celeste? Kate? It would be nice a connection between the games
  • GreyHawk wrote: »
    yeah but... what happened with Merc? and Jacknife? Celeste? Kate? It would be nice a connection between the games
    Try finishing the game before asking this.
  • GreyHawk wrote: »
    yeah but... what happened with Merc? and Jacknife? Celeste? Kate? It would be nice a connection between the games

Wouldn't count on it because reboot. Only Easter eggs, tops.
    Don't get lost...
  • Mukar
    40 posts
    edited June 2016
    GreyHawk wrote: »

Noah is essentially Merc. Jacknife doesn't have a counterpart, Celeste and her sister moved to aurora after the events of EXORDIUM (it was in a recording collectible. You should beat the story tho.