/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
How do you take screenshots? — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums
Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

How do you take screenshots?

I cannot find the key in the keybindings in game.
Print Screen did not work, nor did any Fn keys...
I did find a folder in "My Documents\Mirror's Edge Catalyst\Screenshots", but it is empty

Any idea?

Comments

• Calma
    4 posts
    edited June 2016
    blavatsky wrote: »
    I cannot find the key in the keybindings in game.
    Print Screen did not work, nor did any Fn keys...
    I did find a folder in "My Documents\Mirror's Edge Catalyst\Screenshots", but it is empty

Any idea?

I was wondering the same thing too. if I pull up the Console using the Tilde (~) key, and type in screenshot.render , it takes a screenshot. However, the console will show up in the screenshot as well. So far, I've only resort to turning the game into borderless mode and using a 3rd party screen capture program to take my screenshots.

EDIT
    If you type in screenshot.render and quickly close the console after pressing enter, you can take screenshot without the console showing!
  • Thanks! I will try that
    It is RIDICULOUS that the game does not have a keybing for that... it shows how poorly ported from a console the code was done.
  • You don't. The game doesn't have a key binding for that. Origin doesn't have the option either. You could use another program like FRAPS or Raptr. I think the latest versions of GeForce Experience also have the option to take screenshots.
  • It seems to me that EA is somehow determined to imply some "rules of ****" to all of its sub-developers, otherwise I'm really out of ideas why things like these keep happening. I remember Dragon Age Inquisition, which supported mice with two buttons (from the 90s), didn't have a walk-button although you could walk with the gamepad and some other really **** things.

They keep porting these standards to all of their programms, developers and games it seems. What else could explain why Origin doesn't even have a screenshot feature? It's a glorified DRM and I was mildly amused when yesterday a survey popped up, asking me about my opinion about the app. What is there to have an opinion about? I use it because I have no choice other than to boycott the game...

But to get back on topic, it even gets "better" in the screenshot department:
    • tools like FRAPS and co. can cause instability and it is not recommended to use them, because Origin has its own (useless) overlay and the two could conflict
    • of course you could just disable that and use FRAPS, but who knows, because...
    • at first the Steam-Overlay was working, but since the latest patch it doesn't
    • the game creates a screenshot folder under Documents\Mirrors Edge Catalyst\Screenshots but does not have a keybinding to take them

#justEAthings I guess
    GODzilla ®
  • FRAPS works fine, and causes zero issues, even with both Steam and Origin's overlays running. Which they don't need to be - you can turn off Origin's in-game overlay in the application settings menu.

Why does this thread even exist? So much unnecessary drama on this forum o_0
  • ninemil wrote: »
    FRAPS works fine, and causes zero issues, even with both Steam and Origin's overlays running. Which they don't need to be - you can turn off Origin's in-game overlay in the application settings menu.

I dont see any drama... Why is it that nowadays whenever someone does a critic, it is called as being a drama?
    This world is full of thin-skinned people hehe.

• blavatsky wrote: »
    Read the previous guy's reply, and tell me that isn't drama.
    blavatsky wrote: »
    Read the previous guy's reply, and tell me that isn't drama.

Alright, point taken, altough you did mention "Why does this thread even exist"

Of course the lack of such a feature is not destroying my enjoyment of the game, but I still think it is quite ridiculous the game has no such feature....

Anyway.... my question was answered a long time ago, and to be fair, i dont care about the thread anymore.
    FRAPS works fine, and causes zero issues, even with both Steam and Origin's overlays running. Which they don't need to be - you can turn off Origin's in-game overlay in the application settings menu.

Fraps haven't been updated for a while and it's overlay is known to interfere with games and other overlays, so I avoid that software unless I really need it.

But that's true it does work without major issues at least with this particular game. I personally use Dxtory and it works just fine as well, so at that point I would assume any screen recording tool should work just fine. I do have Origin in game disabled though. If using borderless windowed, then regular use of "print screen" button should work as well. My guess to why this thread exsists is because people are just too accustomed to Steams F12.
  • GODzilla
    29 posts
    edited June 2016
    ninemil wrote: »

Excuse me while I point out that FRAPS in its freeware-state is very limited and outdated, but I'm sure you're using the regular version, the pay-version, as do we all, right? ;)

But jokes aside, Steam is free and I like Steam even if it is also a DRM, but at least it's got some features, one among them being the screenshot feature. It worked before the patch, it doesn't after.

I'm not trying to create a drama here, I just see a pattern. When I discovered the screenshot folder I fully expected it to be my fault for having overlooked the ingame screenshot feature or the button to use it, but wasn't at all surprised when I couldn't find it. Those many incohesive decisions EA and its developers made over the last couple of years just start to accumulate into a big pile of...^^
    Post edited by GODzilla on
    GODzilla ®
  • If you've got GeForce Experience you can ALT Z for screenshot settings