/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Console visuals - unacceptable! — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

Console visuals - unacceptable!

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Console visuals - unacceptable!

Elessar
5 posts
edited June 2016
Hi, i'm writing this because as a fan of the first Mirrors Edge i was really looking forward to Catalyst, bought a one year EA Access subscription just to play it a few days earlier despite the middling reviews. And while the gameplay seems to be a return to what made the original so fun for me i must say i'm hugely disappointed by the visuals to the point that it detracts from the rest. I'm playing on Xbox One, the game is a blurry goddamn mess. It's one of the ugliest games in recent memory. Despite the engine seemingly not having to render a lot of detail (almost no foliage, low number of NPCs, sparse environments) they still had to cut back a tremendous amount on the visuals to get this thing running on 60fps. I dunno what happened, it's like someone took the PC version and made the quickest, sloppiest port ever. Or maybe Frostbite is just a terrible engine. I'm serious when i say this looks like an original Xbox game, not the 360, i mean the first Xbox. People responsible should be ashamed of themselves.

Comments

• dude i just saw somebody post a screenshot from their xbox... my god I feel for you man

the nerds have been warning people for years to build PCs but nobody listened... now the X1 is no better than the wii (720p)

...next gen my ****
  • Elessar
    5 posts
    edited June 2016
    Sure, the X1 is not the most powerful machine under the sun but that's no excuse for the state this game is in. Maybe i was slightly exaggerating claiming the first Xbox had better looking games but for sure late 360 games look much better than this.
  • It is an excuse though.

Why should Dice/EA be responsible for microsoft+sony being cheap and making bad hardware that didn't last more than a year.

For god sakes...they made this "better looking version of the game" that you speak of... and it's on PC.
    It's not like they only developed in 720p, they made a good looking game and then had to make a baby version for all the plebs who bought a bad machine a few years ago.
  • Andross wrote: »
    plebs

No point arguing with you...
  • coth
    55 posts
    edited June 2016
    What did you expect? Xbox One is has dated 1.2 TFLOPS GCN with performance similar to 7770/R7 250X. Optimize or not, you wouldn't get much from it. PS4 isn't much faster, 1.8 TFLOPS AMD GCN with performance similar to R7 265. Want you or not, they are not made of elastic rubber. Devs already taking as much as possible from them.

Hence why both MS and Sony working on upgraded Xbox One and PS4 with modern GPUs.
  • Buy a pc then the game will look good. If PC owners are playing on 3 yr old hardware it would look the same. I am surprised you expected it to look good.
  • I'm not going to praise the Xbox One either, when I first saw the new consoles debut their games the only thing I noticed was that there was more detail in background elements than any actual improvement. I wasn't impressed and considering I had seen better graphics on Windows PCs at the time, I was hesitant to upgrade my 360. I did it anyways and some of the games (Battlefield 4) looked great on the new platform, others didn't look much different (Tomb Raider). I'm not playing favorites but this is a Dice forum. o:) Give credit where it's due. As time moved on with the Xbox One and PS4, I watched PC gaming make better looking games even as the two consoles stagnated in pale comparison. So I bought a Windows PC for gaming. I'm not sad that I did by any means but I still feel for the people who are playing on consoles who are stuck with blurry graphics. I hate to say it but Xbox One and PS4 were outdated within the first year they came out. At least the 360 was pushing top of the line graphics for 8 of it's 10 year run. Sony and MSFT should have put in 512 GB or even 1 GB cards in their machines to keep up.
  • Elessar
    5 posts
    edited June 2016
    Geez, this board is infested with ignorant advocates of "PC Master Race".

One last time, other games running on the same machines (Xbox One or PS4) look much better than Catalyst, including 60fps titles. DICE messed up.
  • Elessar wrote: »
    Geez, this board is infested with ignorant advocates of "PC Master Race".

One last time, other games running on the same machines (Xbox One or PS4) look much better, including 60fps titles. DICE messed up.

It's not about "PC Master Race" at all for me, it's about developments in animation and rendering have exceeded the abilities of the Xbox One and PS4 and unfortunately console gamers are going to suffer for it without a possible upgrade.
  • Which is weird, because GTA V and even the Division looks pretty great on the newer consoles, so I was surprised it looked like it did on X1.

I hope it gets a patch or something because I was going to buy it twice since I love the game so much (plus I have friends on my X1 too) but in the mean time I'll play it on PC.