/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Smear Campaign Against Mirror's Edge Catalyst — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

Smear Campaign Against Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Smear Campaign Against Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Merc
19 posts
edited June 2016
I expected mixed reviews from critics, however there is overwhelming backlash against Mirror's Edge Catalyst in general. The game has extremely poor scores from users on Metacritic. Is the game really that bad? No. It's not. It seems that someone or possibly a group of people have been spamming out Metacritic with fake negative reviews which are all worded exactly the same and use the same phrases except in different orders for each review. Here's a few of them:

aidree1 Jun 7, 2016
This game is a perfect example of how to f*** up an awesome concept. This sequel is worse than its predecessor in almost every way. Thanks EA, great job as usual.

Throne Jun 7, 2016
bad game, too bad and why is this released on 9 june in europe? why? EA f up a good game ( This game is a perfect example of how to f*** up an awesome concept. This sequel is worse than its predecessor in almost every way. Thanks EA, great job as usual. )

Ferg1987 Jun 8, 2016
Aidree I just created an account because I had to tell you that I laughed so hard with my uncle about your review it was great! Bummer about the game though I too was looking forward to this one.

jjuff Jun 7, 2016
Perfect Summary: This game is a perfect example of how to f*** up an awesome concept. This sequel is worse than its predecessor in almost every way. Thanks EA, great job as usual

fallouts Jun 7, 2016
Take an 8 years old beloved game, force a bland and uninteresting open world onto it, sprinkle it with unlikable characters and a short and forgettable story, dumb down the gameplay mechanics and make the fighting **** repetitive and the parkour a chore. When this was the most attractive element of the first game, now other franchises like Dying Light, a full fledged game, offers better parkour than Mirror's Edge. I'm truly disappointed in DICE/EA..once more. It was foreseeable but I had hope. Now all we're left with is a game better suited for the most bored and forviging fans of the franchise. Sorry I'm not down with the **** that the developers keep feeding us, milking us with failed games served in the name of nostalgia. It insults gamers and is an automatic ...no just no....

CarlaMoney Jun 7, 2016
Take an 8 years old beloved game, force a bland and uninteresting open world onto it, sprinkle it with unlikable characters and a short and forgettable story, dumb down the gameplay mechanics and make the fighting **** repetitive and the parkour a chore. When this was the most attractive element of the first game, now other franchises like Dying Light, a full fledged game, offers better parkour than Mirror's Edge. I'm truly disappointed in DICE/EA..once more. It was foreseeable but I had hope. Now all we're left with is a game better suited for the most bored and forviging fans of the franchise. Sorry I'm not down with the **** that the developers keep feeding us, milking us with failed games served in the name of nostalgia. It insults gamers and is an automatic 0.

These are just a few examples of the fake negative reviews. There's a lot more. This is extremely unusual. It looks like some type of smear campaign has been launched against Mirror's Edge Catalyst. It seems that nothing is being done about it either. I wouldn't be surprised if they have been creating fake negative backlash against the game elsewhere as well.

This is quite unfortunate, as it is putting off people from buying the game.
Post edited by Merc on

Comments

• Is there anything that can be done about this? How can we bring it to DICE's attention?
  • The reviewer's opinion isn't valid to me until they have actually played the game.
  • EvilNeon wrote: »
    The reviewer's opinion isn't valid to me until they have actually played the game.

The point of the topic is that someone or a group of people are creating backlash against Mirror's Edge Catalyst. They are fake generated opinions which are being spammed.
  • EvilNeon
    15 posts
    edited June 2016
    Merc wrote: »
    The point of the topic is that someone or a group of people are creating backlash against Mirror's Edge Catalyst. They are fake generated opinions which are being spammed.

Yeah I gotcha. It's dumb but it works for some reason I'm oblivious of.
  • santhi93
    20 posts
    edited June 2016
    I've also experienced this on Youtube videos where guys were making Faith look like a child on a playground. The game behaves completely different depending on who is playing it. Combat will look sloppy if you do that wrong, same with parkour. But if you play it right, both of them will look perfect.

I particularly think that is what makes this game so unique. It's so simple in commands, yet anyone can make their own fate / play style... Just like the original.

Those who rush on assuming it's "a horrible game" are completely wrong. It's the opposite. The original game's elements are everywhere, the graphics are astonishing, the areas are large and architectonic.

So... it's up to them to lose the chance of playing an epic game. No other game in the industry was like this, so I really don't know what they're complaining for. Maybe the fact that the city is really "sci-fi'ish" but it's so diverse that sometimes you think you're playing the original game.

The only thing I miss is the organic feel of the "old city", which I made a point with in my topic previously created, but I believe they're bringing it on a further DLC. If not, I'm already thankful for the original content.
  • Mildocjr
    105 posts
    edited June 2016
    I'd say make a petition towards the gaming community that the Mirror's Edge reviews, all of them including the high scoring ones are re-done by another critic from each rating website.

I just beat the game and while I was playing it I was saying 8/10 after beating it 9/10.
  • santhi93 wrote: »
    I've also experienced this on Youtube videos where guys were making Faith look like a child on a playground. The game behaves completely different depending on who is playing it. Combat will look sloppy if you do that wrong, same with parkour. But if you play it right, both of them will look perfect.

I particularly think that is what makes this game so unique. It's so simple in commands, yet anyone can make their own fate / play style... Just like the original.

Those who rush on assuming it's "a horrible game" are completely wrong. It's the opposite. The original game's elements are everywhere, the graphics are astonishing, the areas are large and architectonic.

So... it's up to them to lose the chance of playing an epic game. No other game in the industry was like this, so I really don't know what they're complaining for. Maybe the fact that the city is really "sci-fi'ish" but it's so diverse that sometimes you think you're playing the original game.

The only thing I miss is the organic feel of the "old city", which I made a point with in my topic previously created, but I believe they're bringing it on a further DLC. If not, I'm already thankful for the original content.
    Mildocjr wrote: »
    I'd say make a petition towards the gaming community that the Mirror's Edge reviews, all of them including the high scoring ones are re-done by another critic from each rating website.

I just beat the game and while I was playing it I was saying 8/10 after beating it 9/10.

Please read the OP. There's a smear campaign against the game. Someone or possibly a group of people are deliberately set on discrediting and slandering Mirror's Edge Catalyst. This isn't uncommon in the gaming industry, but something has to be done. This needs to be brought to EA's attention so they can take legal action.

Jim Sterling brought up the low scores from users on Metacritic in his latest video, unaware that they are fake scores submitted as part of a smear campaign against the game.
  • samuel2789
    2 posts
    edited June 2016
    To tell you something guys, I never played the original Mirror's Edge game at all but Catalyst blew my mind away when I first played it. Though the parkour and main objectives involving combat are difficult for me, I got them right after a few tries and the game looks awesome after that.

EA really should take action against those fake reviewers, just because Catalyst don't allow players to pick up weapons and fight using them doesn't mean it's a flop or a failure, they don't understand why EA and DICE wanted to make Faith a all hand-to hand combatant as a new concept for Catalyst and they either don't like this concept or they didn't even bother to play the game at all.

Also forgot, I'm a newly registered member in this forum though I have a EA Account and hello to the fellow members of this forum.
  • Why do you assume the reviews are fake? I really love the series, but I can overlook the flaws, if others can't they are likely going to be disappointed.
  • Why do you assume the reviews are fake? I really love the series, but I can overlook the flaws, if others can't they are likely going to be disappointed.

If you bothered to read the OP you'd see it's the same review posted under different names.
  • OP sounds like an EA employee, with all due respect. Let people play the game and decide for themselves. Opinion I'm seeing on here is thoroughly mixed. I'll give it a shot when I buy it some time in the future, but few are saying it's as good as the original.
  • Noticed the low scores as well, personally don't consider any of the user reviews, good or bad, to hold any value when considering a game. I figured it was an attack on EA as a company...
  • Don't worry Merc, I'll sort them out, just give me the intel and I'll be over there in a flash! Send Celeste as...backup....
    "Yeah yeah I'm sure the birds are real impressed Faith, but once you're done showing off think you might concentrate on some actual work?!!" - Merc
  • Otchum
    39 posts
    edited June 2016
    I could imagine that some people just smear it because of the technical difficulties that are there due to ME:Cs demanding configurations.
    Now that I have the game myself, I can but I don't want to progress because all the cutscenes are off sync. And so I think many people are upset because of this (which is okay) and give it a bad rating (which SO NOT okay) instead of waiting for the usual early patches. Same thing happened to Diablo 3 when there where server access problemes at the first days of it's release back in 2012.

• Danny_G13 wrote: »
    OP sounds like an EA employee, with all due respect. Let people play the game and decide for themselves. Opinion I'm seeing on here is thoroughly mixed. I'll give it a shot when I buy it some time in the future, but few are saying it's as good as the original.

Are you incapable of reading? It's the same two reviews reposted under several different names. They are not real people reviewing the game. It's a smear campaign against the game.
  • ...I really like this game... ^^
  • Maverick
    34 posts
    edited June 2016
    I have noticed this as well, and other reviews are lame as well. One reviewer complained that there was too much running in the game. I'm like there called runners what do you expect! Can't wait to get this game. Like others had said any glitches will be fixed in a patch and they have been quick to respond and try to make the customers happy. At least they are trying.

I also don't go off of reviews to decide to get the game or not. Reviews were not great for Lord of the Rings War in the North when it released but I have thoroughly enjoyed it myself and have played it through with my brother in law 7 or 8 times just with him that's not counting by myself. I could see this game possibly being the same way for me.
    Lorn Maverick