/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Game not starting up on Origin. — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

Game not starting up on Origin.

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Game not starting up on Origin.

Installed the game on Origin and did not play it until it finished installing.
When I click play nothing happens. No errors or anything, except that it shows up on the Task Manager once I click play but then disappears right away.

I repaired the game.
Ran as administrator.
Disabled Origin in game.
Attempted windowed mode.
Tried different Resolutions.
Turned off Virus scanners, etc.
Re-installed ME:C and Origin.
Restarted my PC.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Specs:
i5-4670k 3.4ghz
GTX 770 4GB
16gb RAM 1600mhz

Comments

• Also running on Windows 7 64bit
  • Same problem here... has anyone an idea how to fix this?
  • I can't even download the game yet, Origin my end says it's not even out yet...
  • That's strange. I assume it's updated and you've tried re-installing Origin?
    Well I might just end up contacting EA when I have time and I'll let you guys know if there's no solution yet.
  • Update... I installed ME:C today on my workstation wich runs under win10 64 bit. Somehow i had no problems on running the game. So here the thing. I installed win 10 an hour ago on my home pc and guess what happend.... ME:C works just fine. Maybe there is a Problem with win 7.
    @ Derek: Have you checked youre drivers and updated them? Maybe that will work out for you.
  • I was thinking about that! I will update to win10 then. I feel like it will solve the problem. I'll let you know, thanks!

And yes all my drivers are updated but still nothing...
  • Works with Win 10. Thanks all.
  • I think I had the same or at least a similar problem here. Using Win7 Ultimate x64, 8GB RAM, SSD, Radeon R9 290, AMD Catalyst 16.6.2 drivers (latest). Every other game works fine, however, when I attempted to launch Mirror's Edge Catalyst, the MirrorsEdgeCatalyst.exe would show up in Task Manager, use one full core for a second, then disappear, and a new task called ActivationUI.exe would be created which would quit within one or two seconds, then everything would restart at a new instance of MirrorsEdgeCatalyst.exe appearing. This repeated up to six times. No Splash window, no game ever appears. In some rare cases I got it to work so I could play into the first one or two hours of gameplay, but it was like a lottery.
    Win10 is not an option for me and is not an official requirement for the game.

I tried repairing, even re-installed the whole thing by downloading the ~40GB of content again. No avail. Then I took a glance at the logs in C:\ProgramData\Origin\Logs and found this line in the file MirrorsEdgeCatalyst_1026480_OnlineActivation_Log.html:
    6	[12:26:41 GMT]	Error			Failure opening file to save license. Path: C:\ProgramData\Electronic Arts\EA Services\License\1026480.dlf

Said file does exist but might be protected from the last time I attempted to start as administrator. Just for kicks I deleted it and wow, starting the game next time went a little further. It seems to have resolved the general startup issue I kept having. At least the behavior of the mutual ActivationUI / MirrorsEdgeCatalyst EXE tasks is gone now.
    On game startup I first get a window covering 1280x768 pixels in size (my monitor is 1920x1200). When it does not fail, the game goes full-screen within a few seconds. However, the next issue was that the game crashes with a Windows popup saying "MirrorsEdgeCatalyst.exe does not work anymore"...

The last lines from the most recent log file (C:\ProgramData\Origin\Logs\IGO_Log.MirrorsEdgeCatalyst_3544.txt where 3544 is probably the PID of the task) revealed this:
    INFO	02:31:23	4604	        DXGIHook.cpp:  775		DXGIHook::Setup(force long wait: 0)
    INFO	02:31:23	5420	        DXGIHook.cpp:  775		DXGIHook::Setup(force long wait: 0)
    WARN	02:31:25	1792	         DllMain.cpp:  872		Loaded 3rd party dll detected!
    WARN	02:31:25	1792	    IGOTelemetry.cpp:  200		TelemetryMsg: fcn=2, ctxt=1, renderer:UNKNOWN,  msg:Loading 3rd party DLL:ltc_help64-112298.dll
    WARN	02:31:25	1792	    IGOTelemetry.cpp:  200		TelemetryMsg: fcn=2, ctxt=0, renderer:UNKNOWN,  msg:Detected 3rd party hook
    INFO	02:31:25	1792	         DllMain.cpp: 1343		Detected 3rd party hook

I honestly don't know what the 3rd party hook might be except it's the Origin in-game UI which I have disabled for all games. Seems to contribute to the problem though but that's just a thought.

Last time I attempted to start the game was even different. This time Origin claims that "too many computers have accessed this account's version of Mirror's Edge Catalyst recently. Please try again later." No idea what is going on by it does not inspire a lot of confidence.

After that, it crashed another time right after it got full-screen during playback of the EA logo and jingle (red on white). I noticed that the Origin in-game notification was also shown even though I though I had switched that off. Doing just that another time gave me the first successful game startup in 10 days. Phew.
    So these are my countermeasures:
    • kill the license file if the mutual MirrorsEdgeCatalyst/ActivationUI tasks can be observed (typically it can be found at C:\ProgramData\Electronic Arts\EA Services\License\1026480.dlf)
    • ensure the Origin in-game function is completely deactivated
    • never start the game as administrator because that creates files which are inaccessible later when you try to run as a normal user. Administrative privileges are not required for the game at any time and won't solve any problem but rather introduce a whole new class of issues. This may also apply to a lot of other games.

Repairing and reinstalling the game very probably didn't contribute a bit to the solution so don't get fooled by typical support replies asking you to try that first. It's just like "have you tried turning it off and on again?" - just meant to get you off their backs for a time.
    All in all I feel very negative about Mirror's Edge Catalyst now. The game may be nice but these technical issues really got me frustrated to a level where I thought I'd best go and return the game completely, despite the fact I looked forward to it like a child because I just loved Mirror's Edge and still do.
  • I've tried running this game on Windows 10, but nothing works. The play button just stays greyed out and I can't do anything.