/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
About textures and vmemory usage — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

About textures and vmemory usage

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

About textures and vmemory usage

Gtx 970 4GB here. No expert so please don't bite me. ;)

The auto-detected video settings gave me MEDIUM textures.
Then I saw an option called "limit GPU memory" or something, so I decided to investigate a little and play with the settings:

well, judging by the numbers I got from MSI while playing the game with textures set to MEDIUM and then HIGH and switching the GPU memory limit on and off, it looks like the a 4GB GPU is way more than enough for sucky looking medium textures (VRam usage goes around 1,6 GB or so), but it might not anymore once you switch textures to HIGH, since the number goes really close to 4GB.
Enabling the "GPU memory limit" simply adjusts the textures settings to the value give by the autodetect function, MEDIUM in my case: It doesn't change the setting in the option screen, it just ignores the one you set in case you're asking too much from your GPU.

So, my conclusion is that, in some cases, you might not be able to use your GPU to the fullest, if not at the price of occasional performance issues.

Comments

• I also have a GTX 970 4GB and I've been running on Ultra without noticeable performance drops. VRAM usage is close to 3GB.
  • Yeah, it does seem like an odd system. Instead there should be a bar with a number and a visual representation of how much ram each option / setting takes up.

Also, maybe its just the sceptic in me. The games textures look good etc. but really 4gb vram is the recommended. That confuses me a bit, because im seeing plenty of low res textures in game.
  • On hyper with that gpu limit on. i was using about 2gb vram
    Whatever with it off and everything on ultra i was about 2.8gb, You can just barely run everything ultra with 3gb vram.
  • I have 2x gtx 680 asus and can run the game on constant 60fps on Hyper.

BIG ISSUE:
    No matter what settings I select, there are textures that simply won't load. Muddy, pixelated, like N64.

I really hope there will be a fix soon. It's quite unenjoyable to look at the amazing City architecture and looking at 8 bit textures. :'(
  • Teto
    137 posts
    You should take screenshots and show them here, without that developers won't be able to fix anything.
  • IEleMenTIx wrote: »
    I have 2x gtx 680 asus and can run the game on constant 60fps on Hyper.

BIG ISSUE:
    No matter what settings I select, there are textures that simply won't load. Muddy, pixelated, like N64.

I really hope there will be a fix soon. It's quite unenjoyable to look at the amazing City architecture and looking at 8 bit textures. :'(

Yeah the billboards and signs all look awefull. Even on Hyper. Maybe it's that limit GPU memory feature.
  • When I turn limit GPU Memory off, the game instantly crashes at boot. Saying out of Memory xD
  • 3.6 GB VRAM usage on GTX 970 with Hyper textures, but Hyper textures are unplayable, causing micro stuttering. Probably as it utilizes low speed 0.5 GB portion of VRAM.
  • ok, just played again for 2 hours or so with ULTRA textures, GPU limit off, 1080p, everything else on HYPER

Runs incredibly fine, 3.5~ GB VRam usage, solid 60fps... but after I die, fail a mission or reload to checkpoint, GPU usage goes 99% and the game runs 20~30 fps for half a minute.