/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Review — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums
Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Review

The original didn't sell much (relatively). But both devs and fans have seen the potential of what this game can become. I have no idea what trickery DICE have used to get an approval from EA on this game. We all know that with this amount of publicity MEC will not be the bestseller. But it is truly a miracle that this game exists and, on top of it all, it's well made and polished (at least for some). Now the team that worked on it was very small, but a team of passionate artists who share the same view of what MEC is. This very team was given only 4 years to make an open-world single-player based game - the exact opposite of what they do. And the game turned out THAT good. Miracle. DICE has my infinite respect.
You would expect a lot from a game that was released 8 years later after the original. And (just IMO) that's why it received some harsh criticism: Half-Life 3 syndrome, after years of wait we expect so much from the game that devs literally, physically can not deliver enough to satisfy us (I wouldn't hope for HL3 for this very reason). And whatever they produce at the end is just never going to be good enough because we all already planned it all out in our heads how terrific the game is gonna be and how much content will be in it.
So, I hope this was a good read for some of you. I just want people to know that they made the impossible.
But that is just my humble opinion.

Okay, now some technical stuff:
6600K, GTX 970, video settings optimized by NVIDIA GeForce Experience
Did not get any stuttering at the cutscenes. Game only dropped a couple of frames once in my 13 hours of play, otherwise smooth 60. No texture streaming issues. Icarus's jacket still clipped a bit at the first mission, nowhere else.
Story was great, felt like a movie with very well made cutscenes (never seen anything like it in any game, really). A complex story (like Bioshock's) wouldn't fit the game like MEC if you ask me. It started off, smoothly introduced the characters and the situation and wrapped itself up nicely.

SPOILERS AHEAD
Did the drawing Faith's mother draw have any meaning? Did I miss something?
And Birdman literally never appeared in the game after the beginning, like he never existed. Sad, was my favorite.
Don't get lost...

Comments

• Spoiler if you haven't reached the construction zone yet.
    I applaud the team for being able to transform Icarus from having the mannerisms of a slim shady song, to a decent person that you wouldn't mind running with.
  • Simplex wrote: »
    The original didn't sell much (relatively). But both devs and fans have seen the potential of what this game can become. I have no idea what trickery DICE have used to get an approval from EA on this game. We all know that with this amount of publicity MEC will not be the bestseller. But it is truly a miracle that this game exists and, on top of it all, it's well made and polished (at least for some). Now the team that worked on it was very small, but a team of passionate artists who share the same view of what MEC is. This very team was given only 4 years to make an open-world single-player based game - the exact opposite of what they do. And the game turned out THAT good. Miracle. DICE has my infinite respect.
    You would expect a lot from a game that was released 8 years later after the original. And (just IMO) that's why it received some harsh criticism: Half-Life 3 syndrome, after years of wait we expect so much from the game that devs literally, physically can not deliver enough to satisfy us (I wouldn't hope for HL3 for this very reason). And whatever they produce at the end is just never going to be good enough because we all already planned it all out in our heads how terrific the game is gonna be and how much content will be in it.
    So, I hope this was a good read for some of you. I just want people to know that they made the impossible.
    But that is just my humble opinion.

I never really thought about it like that. Thinking about it this way, I can probably forgive some of the technical issues and lack of immersion. I also think many people (myself included) had some resentment after the beta due to unfair expectations about what the game would be. I still think the story should have been longer/more complex, and I still think there are problems that aren't excusable for a AAA title, regardless of the circumstances of development. However, I'll recognize that we're lucky to even have this game in the first place.