/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
PS4 MEC: Worth getting? — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums
Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

PS4 MEC: Worth getting?

Simple question. Those who have it now, is it worth getting?

Comments

• If you liked the original you will LOVE this game. If you haven't then be advised it is a unique game in the sense it's not very action based, its all about the free roam and just having fun running around doing random missions (plus a story but the story is very meh). Game is heavy community based which is great. There is no character customization so fair warning on that. I've only had it for 2 days but I love it (but again, I loved the original)
  • Same here^^ Loved the first mirrors love this one even more. It's a nice change not to shoot a gun and fight the establishment via hands and feet. I love faith as a character too. No reason for this apart from 1. The original advertisement from mirrors edge back in the day. Faith stood on top of a building with the song "still alive" by Lisa Miskovsky. Still gets me even now. Mirrors edge has some of the best instrumental music I've heard in a game. The puzzle song for Kate is brilliant.
    Great unique game.
  • @mystygr33n @berserkCD Thanks guys for your feedback. I am a big fan of the original. It's more performance wise than I'm concerned. Graphics and frames per second. In the Beta the graphics were really low at mid and long range. How are they in the full version?
  • Graphics are Top notch apart from the odd flicker now and then. I have not suffered any fps drops at all. They look beautiful when run on 4K. It's just like the first mirrors edge but better in every way.
  • mystygr33n wrote: »
    Graphics are Top notch apart from the odd flicker now and then. I have not suffered any fps drops at all. They look beautiful when run on 4K. It's just like the first mirrors edge but better in every way.

And how are their on the far out buildings etc ? @mystygr33n
  • Anoh wrote: »

And how are their on the far out buildings etc ? @mystygr33n

On the PS4 it seems DICE prioritizes a stable frame rate over keeping everything HD(which is good). That being said, the distant buildings still look great. The only obvious downgrade is the reflections, but that's minor. The game itself is amazing, you should definitely get it. You can read my in-depth review on how much I enjoyed it here: https://forums.mirrorsedge.com/discussion/2076/my-honest-review-for-mirrors-edge-catalyst-great-job-dice#latest
  • JackyPrower
    14 posts
    edited June 2016
    I see that on PS4 they turned off motion blur completely :neutral:
    It's a shame because it's just wonderful on 60fps games. Also, motion blur on neon lights at night it's just pure magic. I hope DICE would get it in again via patch someday.
    Still, I'll get this game ASAP on PS4 as soon as I have some money! The beta was just too fun an too satisfying to play.
  • I see that on PS4 they turned off motion blur completely :neutral:
    It's a shame because it's just wonderful on 60fps games. Also, motion blur on neon lights at night it's just pure magic. I hope DICE would get it in again via patch someday.
    Still, I'll get this game ASAP on PS4 as soon as I have some money! The beta was just too fun an too satisfying to play.

You're joking right? No motion blur on PS4?!

@JackyPrower
  • THE4400fan
    20 posts
    edited June 2016
    Hi! Yes, the PS4 version is worth getting.

The textures are hit or miss. Other games render the closest things best and the rest not so well but Mirror's Edge Catalyst follows another path. For example, in one mission, you will see tall buildings at 300m. being detailed and in another mission you will see other tall buildings at 100m. away that are just shapes, without any texture on them. It looks a bit ugly in these instances but this might be all the PS4 can handle. I think DICE gave priority to the buildings that that you actually visit and are in the general area of your playground (even some of them that you don't get to visit) and not the others.

As far as I can tell, the PS4 version is the best one at the moment. While it looks less good than the PC version, it has way less issues than that one.

EDIT: Thank GOD there is no Motion Blur to the game!
  • Games looks great when inside a structure. But when parkouring on the rooftops it gets pretty ugly. There are constant LOD issues and very ugly textures or none at all. I really hope they're working on a patch to optimize this. Otherwise the gameplay is great fun. I stopped playing it for now cause all this blurry mess is ruining it for me.
  • Anoh wrote: »

You're joking right? No motion blur on PS4?!

@JackyPrower
    THE4400fan wrote: »
    EDIT: Thank GOD there is no Motion Blur to the game!

I find very funny how some people (like me) love motion blur in games, when done with some skill of course, and how some others just can't stand it no matter what :smiley: I'm not saying it in a bad way, it's just an interesting thing to observe.
    Of course I hope they'll get it back in the game, via patch or something, but if they do, they'll need to make it optional so it' still possible to turn it off if you don't want it.
  • I find very funny how some people (like me) love motion blur in games, when done with some skill of course, and how some others just can't stand it no matter what :smiley: I'm not saying it in a bad way, it's just an interesting thing to observe.
    Of course I hope they'll get it back in the game, via patch or something, but if they do, they'll need to make it optional so it' still possible to turn it off if you don't want it.
    Here's how I see it. When you play the game, your eyes/brain are focusing on the parts you want to see. Usually the center of the screen. The rest of it gets blurred by your brain. Why would you need extra, artificial Motion Blur if your brain is already doing that for you? And what happens when you look at the part the game engine has blurred? It totally breaks your immersion.

For example, if there was Motion Blur in MEC, it would blur everything on the sides of the screen, right? So what would my choice be if I wanted to look at something other than the place I'm running towards? In real life, I would raise my view to the point of interest and still keep running to the same direction as before. But in the game, where you look is where you are going. So, I would either have to look at something blurry or just change the direction of the in-game character to un-blur that thing but that would interfere with the gameplay...

So, this is why I don't want any Motion Blur in games, especially First Person point of view games. The sense of speed can be achieved with a shaking camera...
  • ArchAngeL_777
    39 posts
    edited June 2016
    I have it on PS4, and it's great. I don't think there are issues with the graphics at all. I just finished the story. I'm so impressed with how huge the open world is, the freedom they give you, and really how much there is to do after you finish the story. Most open world games like Infamous are bare bones after you finish the story. This one has respawning courier missions, security cameras that will call in security patrols to evade or fight, time trials, tons of collectibles, user generated content, and more. You likely won't unlock all Faith's abilities with just the story either.

Even though you can literally do whatever you want, whenever you want, you can still get the feel of the original Mirror's Edge by just concentrating on the story missions and going where they tell you to go. There are a ton of collectibles, but you can ignore them while doing the story and then find them later.

There's some really impressive set pieces in the game too. And the fact you can generate your own time trials to publish online means you can use your favorite parts of the map for trials.

DICE really did a ton of work here, and it's truly impressive. I'd give it a 9.0 out of 10.
  • THE4400fan wrote: »
    Here's how I see it. When you play the game, your eyes/brain are focusing on the parts you want to see. Usually the center of the screen. The rest of it gets blurred by your brain. Why would you need extra, artificial Motion Blur if your brain is already doing that for you? And what happens when you look at the part the game engine has blurred? It totally breaks your immersion.

For example, if there was Motion Blur in MEC, it would blur everything on the sides of the screen, right? So what would my choice be if I wanted to look at something other than the place I'm running towards? In real life, I would raise my view to the point of interest and still keep running to the same direction as before. But in the game, where you look is where you are going. So, I would either have to look at something blurry or just change the direction of the in-game character to un-blur that thing but that would interfere with the gameplay...

So, this is why I don't want any Motion Blur in games, especially First Person point of view games. The sense of speed can be achieved with a shaking camera...

Interesting post. I think you made valid points, but it I think they make more sense in theory; during gameplay things are a little different and maybe easier.
    I try to esplain myself: you say that with motion blur, the edges of the screen are blurred (obviously :smiley: ) and that breaks immersion, because most of the visual information is almost hidden by this blur. I don't think this is the case, as this would happen only if motion blur would be applied to a big area of the screen, starting from the edges and towards the center. Usually (at least with competent developers*) the blur is applied only pretty close to the edge of the screen*, to simulate the "periferic vision" of the eyes (i hope that's the correct definition in English). Since the periferic vision can't be used to sense details even in real life, motion blur makes the movement of that area softer and more natural.
    *At least in the PS4 beta, Motion blur was integrated in a competent and non-invasive way. I would have made it even more aggressive, but that's me of course.

For the other point, looking at something not directly in front of you: the cool thing about ME is that you can keep momentum even if you slightly change the direction of your head, as long as you compensate with the left stick to keep the direction of the run. So you can already focus on things not in the center of your vision. I always loved this in ME, I hope it's still the same in ME:C... I think I did this several times on the beta.

Lastly, you should consider the head turning, too. If you turn quickly your head left and right (in real life), everything blurs out until you stop. This is when motion blur does his job more efficiently, when you completely change direction of your view. I can suggest you to download the DOOM demo and try with and without motion blur: of course you can prefer with the effect disabled, but everything becomes smoother with it on.