/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Dynamic time of day — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums
Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Dynamic time of day

Once you finish the story, you're left freerunning in the city with dynamic day/night cycle. But it seems that the cycle keeps changing only when you run. You can see that from the shadows - when you stand still, shadows are still and when you move, they move with you. I really have no clue what was the idea behind it but it certainly ruined my long time dream to make a day/night time lapse video of every district. Sadface.
Don't get lost...

Comments

• Teto
    137 posts
    Oh, I'm pretty sure of that: If you have a cycle, and you don't run, the shadows would change drastically (because calculation would be done every minute for a 10mn change in reality), very noticeable and the effect would be ugly. If you are running, you can't notice the shadows' changes... Cheap trick I agree. ;)
  • Teto wrote: »
    Oh, I'm pretty sure of that: If you have a cycle, and you don't run, the shadows would change drastically (because calculation would be done every minute for a 10mn change in reality), very noticeable and the effect would be ugly. If you are running, you can't notice the shadows' changes... Cheap trick I agree. ;)

What would be better in a day/night cycle is to make the sun lower in the sky, then increase the length of daytime and nightttime while decreasing the length of dawn/dusk. Not by much, of course. Now, I think we have less noticeable shadow changes overall! Of course, my suggestion is more of a hotfix than a real solution.
    My goal in betas is always to break the game by playing the game. Out-of-map glitches, game-breaking glitches, serious bugs, you name it!