/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Challenge: story missions vs side quests. — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

Challenge: story missions vs side quests.

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Challenge: story missions vs side quests.

As an avid fan of the original game, I'm conflicted between being pleasantly surprised and downright facepalmed.

I beat the story missions no sweat, but the level of challenge of some of sidequests such as billboard hacking and secret bags is almost up to par to that of Mirror's Edge 1.

So... pretty much the same thing happened to Tomb Raider: looks like mandatory puzzles are no more in AAA games.

Comments

• If a casual player gets stuck on the story because he/she can't solve the puzzle, he/she might lose interest. And for those who do enjoy these puzzles - there always are gridnodes and billboards.
    Don't get lost...
  • HaraldHoerwick
    137 posts
    edited June 2016
    I agree with Simplex. Open world games tend to try to cater to a larger audience, and emphasize choosing what you want to pursue. I'm sure that there are plenty of pure puzzle games that would pose a "mandatory challenge", however, the current trend with AAA titles is open world games.
  • I find some of the side missions too frustratingly hard. I'm talking about Diversions and sometimes Fragile Delivery missions. I seem to HAVE to do a near perfect run to even finish it. Combine that with the runner vision which seems to be pointless 80% of the time, and I'm about to rage quit after trying the same mission for 30-40 minutes.

1. If you're going to mention in the game that runner vision doesn't always give you the fastest route, then at least give the player enough time to "explore". If a delivery is a 30 second mission, then there isn't a whole lot of time to explore.
    2. I would've expected some sort of scoring system; bronze, silver, gold, so that people can at least finish these missions. If you're hardcore into this game, are super awesome at it, and want everything 3 stars/gold/whatever, then maybe that could've been an achievement. Now even finishing some of the side missions seems downright impossible. I'll admit, I'm not the best at it, but if I have to first find a YouTube video of a perfect run for a delivery, then do the same delivery almost perfect (yeah, maybe one stumble), and finish it with 1 or 0 seconds left, I could see how this could be pretty discouraging to people who are new to the game.

Honestly, I'm looking at finishing the main story, potentially doing some side missions that aren't completely impossible, and then just ditching the game. A game where the bare minimum is a perfect run isn't really that attractive.

I have no idea if anyone from DICE/EA reads this stuff, but seriously, do something about it, especially when I've seen people mention that they had plenty of time in the beta.
  • Roy wrote: »
    1. If you're going to mention in the game that runner vision doesn't always give you the fastest route, then at least give the player enough time to "explore". If a delivery is a 30 second mission, then there isn't a whole lot of time to explore.

I kind of like diversion. It gives me thrill. The only problems I have with it is that r.v. is required and I can't see in advance where I need to go. An objective marker on the map would be spot on: this way I could abort the mission, explore a little and then try again.

• I ended up rage quitting for the 84837595th time after trying to fight of K-Sec when the lair is under attack. I just can't do it.

To me, the combat is horrible and feels similarly detached like Deus Ex: Human Revolution's boss fights; you know, the fights that were done by a completely different party.

Anyway, I always end up with 1 bar left when the stun guys come in. I feel that arena fights are kind of a dumb choice for this game.

But whatever, I tried liking this game, but unfortunately it's now uninstalled and on the pile of "I don't feel like dealing with this ****".
    I ended up rage quitting for the 84837595th time after trying to fight of K-Sec when the lair is under attack. I just can't do it.

That fight's easy. Just keep the "focus" bar filled, jump-kick all the minions and kick the black suit guy from behind. Other than this part, there are only a couple of segments where you're actually forced to fight.

I find some of the side missions too frustratingly hard. I'm talking about Diversions and sometimes Fragile Delivery missions. I seem to HAVE to do a near perfect run to even finish it. Combine that with the runner vision which seems to be pointless 80% of the time, and I'm about to rage quit after trying the same mission for 30-40 minutes.

2. I would've expected some sort of scoring system; bronze, silver, gold, so that people can at least finish these missions. If you're hardcore into this game, are super awesome at it, and want everything 3 stars/gold/whatever, then maybe that could've been an achievement. Now even finishing some of the side missions seems downright impossible. I'll admit, I'm not the best at it, but if I have to first find a YouTube video of a perfect run for a delivery, then do the same delivery almost perfect (yeah, maybe one stumble), and finish it with 1 or 0 seconds left, I could see how this could be pretty discouraging to people who are new to the game.

Honestly, I'm looking at finishing the main story, potentially doing some side missions that aren't completely impossible, and then just ditching the game. A game where the bare minimum is a perfect run isn't really that attractive.

I have no idea if anyone from DICE/EA reads this stuff, but seriously, do something about it, especially when I've seen people mention that they had plenty of time in the beta.

I'm a pretty big fan, so I'll probably be 100%ing this game, but I agree with you - the delivery missions should have a star rating like the dashes, time to find a route, or be easier. It's already a bit ridiculous that they can wait for you all game and then suddenly need something delivered that can't even be half-a-second late.
  • I finally got over my rage quit frustrations and finally beat the lair assault fight. Turns out I still had 4 unused upgrade points, so yeah, I'm an ****.

However, I still stand by my point of delivery / diversion / whatever times being too short.
    After finishing earlier mentioned fight, I attempted several deliveries (dead drop and fragile), and I never even got to see the area where the item needs to be delivered. One mission gave me 1:19, so I hoped there would be some time for figuring out the fastest route, but nope.

The funny thing is that I remember doing a dead drop delivery early on in the game in the area where you start and the timer started at something like 2:02. I imagined this being a massive run, yet I finished it with more than a minute left on the clock. Looks like that may have been forgotten whenever they decided to chop a minute of off every side mission.

This is something where they could've put in puzzles as the OP mentioned.
    1. Figuring out how to get to where you need to go
    2. Use the environment as puzzle pieces to go faster while on that mission.

Considering there is no room for actual exploration during the side missions, I'll most likely end up running the same wrong route 1,000 times.

I wouldn't even mind if the harder side missions would require a perfect run, but at least set that to the suggested route.