/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
100% Story + 100% World ^^ (review included) — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

100% Story + 100% World ^^ (review included)

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

100% Story + 100% World ^^ (review included)

ninemil
218 posts
edited June 2016
Last couple of electronic parts in Ocean Pier were cheeky - well played, DICE :p

mirrorsedgecatalyst_2016_06_16_16_48_58_44_by_www_ninemil_com-da6jz16.png

Finally free to use that New Game option, and rewatch the opening cutscene, lol ^^

Figured I'd also include a copy of this, from elsewhere. I don't like to review until finishing a game in it's entirety, but in this case, the wait largely just solidified my initial impression.

Mirror's Edge - Catalyst

8 year wait. 3 years since the initial reveal o_0

+ Faithful (pun intended) reboot of the original game.
+ Keeps all the unique gameplay elements that made the IP great, adds a lot of new ideas that don't detract from, or dilute the feel.
+ Tightens the parkour up. Optimal movement no longer looks ridiculous or relies on glitches.
+ Much better time goals. Should be achievable by anyone with practice. Relies more on intelligent pathing and skills competancy, than on twitch-timing and sweat.
+ Random race generation mode. Shareable user-created content. Great stuff.
+ Excellent initial attempt at first-person visceral melee combat, (that doesn't look and feel ****, like in Bethesda games.) Marries Beat'em Up and FPS influences nicely.
+ Great world design. Beautiful visuals and stunning vistas. Plenty of vertigo-inducing moments. Some incredible set-pieces. Such a huge amount of fun to traverse and explore.
+ Proficient story, with plenty of nuance and depth for those looking.
+ Good balance between cinematics and in-game story-telling.
+ Competent VAs, with excellent performances from Faye Kingslee as Faith, Jim Pirri as Noah, and Tim Kang as Dogen. Look out for Faith and Dogen's final in-person meeting, in particular.
+ Right level of intrigue, pleasant lack of plot twists and technobullshit.
+ No pandering romance plot. No shoehorned minority representation. Maintains Faith's position as one of the only credible female protagonists in the industry.
+ Seemingly solid narrative promise from DICE to continue, to not to take so long, next time around.

- 6Gb+ of VRAM a necessity if you're a stickler for fidelity, (although that's an industry standard for Ultra-settings going forward, so perhaps less of an issue than it looks.)
- Driver lock out. If you're under minimum specs and use an AMD card, you'll have to either mod your driver package, or upgrade your hardware to play. (AMD's end, not DICEs end - latest driver package dumps legacy cards.)
- Gameworld can occasionally feel a little empty. A sensible design choice in terms of maintaining race consistency. Also fits with the setting and altitude of play, but a minor detractor nonetheless.
- No 'Still Alive.' Just. No. DICE please!

Worth the wait? Absolutely. Plenty there to delve, with plenty of replayability. Welcome back, girl. Don't take so long next time, eh?

Post edited by ninemil on

Comments

• Nice. Actually planning on doing the exact same thing, but pass the game with a Russian localization (I'm a Russian speaker) to get the most out of the cringe :)
    Don't get lost...
  • Thanks ^^

Looking forward to seeing the early stuff again, in light of all the extra information you get in the collectables.
  • ninemil wrote: »
    Thanks ^^

Looking forward to seeing the early stuff again, in light of all the extra information you get in the collectables.

Do you by any chance remember where are some of the documents located in Triumvirate Drive? I've been trying to find the last document there for about 3 hours.
    Don't get lost...
  • ninemil
    218 posts
    edited June 2016
    Simplex wrote: »
    Do you by any chance remember where are some of the documents located in Triumvirate Drive? I've been trying to find the last document there for about 3 hours.
    I couldn't honestly tell you, off the top of my head. The Drive, Hill, Plaza, and Yard tend to blur a lot for me. I don't remember much in the way of hidden ones, tho. They were almost always out in the open, lying against or on top of something, (usually an AC unit.)
    I couldn't honestly tell you, off the top of my head. The Drive, Hill, Plaza, and Yard tend to blur a lot for me. I don't remember much in the way of hidden ones, tho. They were almost always out in the open, lying against or on top of something, (usually an AC unit.)

Thanks nonetheless!
    Don't get lost...
  • Simplex wrote: »
    Thanks nonetheless!
    To be fair, I strongly recommend doing it without the assistance of other people. There's no rush to 100% - the only person you're racing is yourself. And it doesn't need to be a race. Enjoy the search, don't sweat it. I found places I had no idea could have existed while finishing up - some of which I'm not sure I could find again :p
    Thanks nonetheless!
    To be fair, I strongly recommend doing it without the assistance of other people. There's no rush to 100% - the only person you're racing is yourself. And it doesn't need to be a race. Enjoy the search, don't sweat it. I found places I had no idea could have existed while finishing up - some of which I'm not sure I could find again :p

You're totally right, I'm just a bit hopeless at this point xD
    Don't get lost...
  • Simplex wrote: »
    You're totally right, I'm just a bit hopeless at this point xD
    Chin up! You'll get there :D