/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Are the developers scared of expanding the story?(no spoilers) — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

Are the developers scared of expanding the story?(no spoilers)

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Are the developers scared of expanding the story?(no spoilers)

I'm disappointed in the story. The characters seem one-dimmensial and has so many plot holes. I'm upset of the fact that there's lore hidden in form of collectables. Not everyone is going to do that. Honestly there is a story there but it's not in the main story. It definitely would've made some characters more developed and more relatable. (I'm not bashing I really do appreciate the hard work that went in this but I should care about some of these people).

Comments

• As far as I'm concerned everything that needed to be said was conveyed in the cutscenes and dialogue. The story was coherent enough, and engaging enough (if a little on the YA side as far as creativity goes). Questions remained at the end of the campaign, but nothing important. The collectibles are just bonus content, so it's perfectly fine to hide them behind the game mechanic of collectible hunting. (The documents are available on the website, but that's still outside the main game campaign.)

Why do you think the characters were one-dimensional? I lot of reviews have conveyed their ire for the characters, but I've never understood it.
    980 Ti, i7 6700K, 16GB RAM, Samsung SSD 950 Pro, Windows 10
  • Tonxey wrote: »
    Why do you think the characters were one-dimensional? I lot of reviews have conveyed their ire for the characters, but I've never understood it.

I really don't understand that either, it seems to be a term being tossed around to... what, exactly? I thought the characters were cool. What more than what we were given could someone want from a character to not be "one-dimensional"?

• For example Rebecca and Kruger, they're both evil and the the conglomerate is evil and they rule supreme. You see a theme here? Then Isabel is a power ranger who's out for revenge. I do like some characters but you rarely saw them.Anyway ill still support this franchise but if part 3 is ever released ill wait for a few months after release.
  • MichaelT wrote: »
    Tonxey wrote: »

I really don't understand that either, it seems to be a term being tossed around to... what, exactly? I thought the characters were cool. What more than what we were given could someone want from a character to not be "one-dimensional"?

*WARNING! SPOILERS BELOW*

It's simple really. Characters like Birdman and even Faith's "best friend" Nomad were introduced to us briefly and we never heard from them again really in the game. It was disappointing.

I feel as though Nomad should have done some missions WITH us along with Icarus. Like the duo did with Rebecca in clearing a path, Nomad should have been there.

Or when Noah died, the first person Faith should have went to was Birdman. Not Dogen.

And Dogen was described as this....force not to be reckoned with but its nice to see that in fruition every now and then. I thought Dogen was going to cut off a runners legs in the game and made us watch. That would have been eerily phenomenal! It also bothered me that he never had on his glasses in the game (at least not that I can recall) like he did in the comics.

I'll talk about this more in my review when I post it.

It's simple really. Characters like Birdman and even Faith's "best friend" Nomad were introduced to us briefly and we never heard from them again really in the game. It was disappointing.

I feel as though Nomad should have done some missions WITH us along with Icarus. Like the duo did with Rebecca in clearing a path, Nomad should have been there.

Or when Noah died, the first person Faith should have went to was Birdman. Not Dogen.

And Dogen was described as this....force not to be reckoned with but its nice to see that in fruition every now and then. I thought Dogen was going to cut off a runners legs in the game and made us watch. That would have been eerily phenomenal! It also bothered me that he never had on his glasses in the game (at least not that I can recall) like he did in the comics.

Thank you! I definitely agree with most of what you said especially with nomad and the runners like where are they? Does faith care? Nomad def should have been in a mission or the hideout and yes dogen doing a deed lol. I think the comic had more development then the actual in game. No offense to the team.

Nomad is not a runner so he can't be directly running with Faith and Icarus. He does have a side quest though, where he talks through the radio. Unfortunately to understand why Dogen is so important and who Birdman is, you have to read the exordium comics. It tells the story of what happens before the Catalyst. It's unfortunate but the comics are kinda necessary to understand why stuff happens.