/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Mirrors EDGE - next game — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums
Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Mirrors EDGE - next game

SInce Catalyst is just a reboot of the first ME game, it is scarcely diving into this awesome world that was presented in the latest production. Even the game subtitle: CATALYST suggest that history from this part were just a beginning for the next things to come. World's history and details are also giving a hint that rest of the world needs to be presented later on.

Is this only my feeling? Probably game producre won't answer to this this close after the premiere, but I really cant wait to see the next games from Faith's World! Great job ME team! Can't wait to see your more!!! Just don't let us waiting too long, ok?

Comments

• I don't think the team would announce another game if they were planning one for at least another six months, if not a year or longer. The ending of the game
    certainly baits a sequel since Faith says they "started something" and "nothing has changed... yet" (or words to that effect)
    , but I can't help thinking maybe a sequel wouldn't have the support or funding based on current reviews and responses to the game. I'd love another one though. And hey, we never thought the original would get a follow-up. Stranger things have happened...
  • but I can't help thinking maybe a sequel wouldn't have the support or funding based on current reviews and responses to the game

Can you share more on that? I got no idea how critics have taken it or how the sales are going. For me it's awesome, but you're right. The revenue probably will decide if they go with the next one or not... brutal world...
  • I think that a new game is over. Dead. I don't think that the sales are that good to think about a new game.
    But, maybe, if they decide to make DLC that "finishes" the story... (the man with the scar, the other runners with strange sign, Noah, and so on)
    10 missions in a DLC for that would be good enough for the fans, and not too costly for DICE.
    Along with a dlc for more freeroaming zones, more races, gridnodes, buildings to climb... Let me dream, please!
  • Teto wrote: »
    I think that a new game is over. Dead. I don't think that the sales are that good to think about a new game. (...) Let me dream, please!

DLC is good, but next part would be superb. You mentioned that sales are not so good. Can you provide some source and numbers? I don't believe that it is that bad.

And I'm dreaming too! Just don't wakes us up too early...
  • Teto
    137 posts
    I don't have sources, I'm just guessing. But as the reviews were catastrophic in my country, and EA says nothing about their sales... But I have no source, I must admit (and it's another hint about the sales).
  • of course EA hasn't said anything on sales yet, the game just barely came out, you wont hear anything until the next quarterly report... EA just barely released their last quarterly report shortly before the game came out... it is way to early to be judging the games sales at this point... for all we know this could be a sleeper hit as people stop dismissing it based on jaded reviewers opinions...
  • They dropped the price of Mirror's Edge Catalyst by 30% just a couple of weeks after launch. Clearly it's not selling well.
  • Pure_Majestic
    36 posts
    edited June 2016
    Elly_Dawn wrote: »
    of course EA hasn't said anything on sales yet, the game just barely came out, you wont hear anything until the next quarterly report... EA just barely released their last quarterly report shortly before the game came out... it is way to early to be judging the games sales at this point... for all we know this could be a sleeper hit as people stop dismissing it based on jaded reviewers opinions...

I agree, I'm not sure if it's doing well now but it could definitely be a sleeper and the DEV's did set it up so a sequel is possible, and it has only been 3 weeks since release (also I like your profile pic :))
    Post edited by Pure_Majestic on
  • Bird_Of_Faith
    162 posts
    edited June 2016
    I think a new game is possible, i know this is only a small percentage but catalyst was the top pre order at Eb games at one stage, and i think that what faith says at the end,
    "we started something, that we intend to finish"
    suggests that a new game is possible. Take watchdogs for example, i never played it, my friends said it was not worth it as it was disappointed and was a terrible game to play... But now they've announced a watchdogs 2... If that's possible, a sequel to catalyst is possible...
  • Fiannr wrote: »
    but I can't help thinking maybe a sequel wouldn't have the support or funding based on current reviews and responses to the game

Can you share more on that? I got no idea how critics have taken it or how the sales are going. For me it's awesome, but you're right. The revenue probably will decide if they go with the next one or not... brutal world...

The majority of reviews I've seen online (and I've read every one I can find) give the game about a 6/10 on average, citing things like a bad storyline, glitches, inconsistency, unlikeable characters and the lack of the feel from the first game that made you feel like you were really there. Although we don't have any sales statistics, from reviews, player opinions and the general gaming community response, I gather that the game is only doing averagely well. It's what's described as a 'cult classic' like the first game, because it doesn't really appeal to many people, but those who do like it play the game obsessively and love it very much. The problem with this is that the gaming industry (from what I comprehend, since I don't understand it 100%) is run on big numbers and big successes. They're putting out games that they want to appeal to a wide audience, and Mirror's Edge doesn't have that factor. Of course, the first one didn't really have the huge success either (probably because it was a parkour game with tacked-on combat and a dizzying first-person view), and we still got a sequel. It seems anything can happen if the players, whether a big group or small, push it enough.