/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Faith's Remodelling — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums
Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Faith's Remodelling

Am I the only one who doesn't really like Faith's remodelling? I think it's partially the fact her voice is so youthful and immature in comparison to the first game, but it's also that she's been made so much prettier and more idealistic. In the original, she was praised for being a powerful heroine who didn't need beauty to pull in players. In this edition, although I don't think she's being exploited to bring in gamers, she's definitely been redesigned to be more appealing. I like her hair but it's her body shape and facial features t

Comments

• *It's her body shape and facial features that seem too idealistic to me.
  • I like the version with the more slender chin, when she's sort of Asian looking ;)
    "Yeah yeah I'm sure the birds are real impressed Faith, but once you're done showing off think you might concentrate on some actual work?!!" - Merc
  • I didn't like the new version at first coz I hate when developer's decide to change a character's look. My guess is they wanted her to look hotter as part of the appeal to bring in more players
  • NeloAngelo086
    25 posts
    edited July 2016
    I honestly love it, the previous Faith didnt even look asian to me, looked more like an alien with a wig lol, the new one shows traits of asian with caucasian european and looks gorgeous but in a good way, like they didnt over did it like most characteres these days. As for the voice acting, both are good actress, got no complains, thou her previous voice actress has a special feel, most likely nostalgia....Her body also looks amazing in Catalyst.perspectives prespectives :D
  • Well she's much younger than she was in the first game. That justifies the changes.
  • I like the version with the more slender chin, when she's sort of Asian looking ;)

Yeah, I agree.
    enzofoove wrote: »
    Well she's much younger than she was in the first game. That justifies the changes.

She's certainly younger, but not by that much, and I don't think she'd change so dramatically in a couple of years.

Also, has anybody noticed that the first looks at Faith's redesign we got (which are still being used as promo pics) don't look anything like the Faith we have now?
    This is the first picture we got (and it's the picture you get first when Googling Faith Connors):
    Faith_Connors_redesigned.png
    She looks different somehow to the current Faith.
    http://www.pcgames.de/screenshots/original/2015/06/mirrors_edge_catalyst_e32015_0004-pc-games_b2article_artwork.jpg
    I don't know what it is, but that first promo pic looks way off. Of course, it could just be the proportions. The original Faith artwork for Mirror's Edge had its proportions all strange and funny.

Yeah, I agree.
    Well she's much younger than she was in the first game. That justifies the changes.

She's certainly younger, but not by that much, and I don't think she'd change so dramatically in a couple of years.

Also, has anybody noticed that the first looks at Faith's redesign we got (which are still being used as promo pics) don't look anything like the Faith we have now?
    This is the first picture we got (and it's the picture you get first when Googling Faith Connors):
    http://www.pcgames.de/screenshots/original/2015/06/mirrors_edge_catalyst_e32015_0004-pc-games_b2article_artwork.jpg
    I don't know what it is, but that first promo pic looks way off. Of course, it could just be the proportions. The original Faith artwork for Mirror's Edge had its proportions all strange and funny.

The game was in a very, VERY early stage where the graphics looked like what was exepected from what current gen today had promice back then, the reality came lol and they had to work with what it actually is, plus open world at 60fps and a LOT to handdle. Regardless, characters constantly go over changes all the time de to hardware limitations or simply art direction, sometimes for better or worse depending on one's prespective

Yeah, I agree.

The game was in a very, VERY early stage where the graphics looked like what was exepected from what current gen today had promice back then, the reality came lol and they had to work with what it actually is, plus open world at 60fps and a LOT to handdle. Regardless, characters constantly go over changes all the time de to hardware limitations or simply art direction, sometimes for better or worse depending on one's prespective

I honestly think that Faith in her early stages seemed more "fake" I guess. I like the remodeled Faith now but I do agree it is more idealistic.

• [/quote]I honestly think that Faith in her early stages seemed more "fake" I guess. I like the remodeled Faith now but I do agree it is more idealistic. [/quote]

I agree, the Faith we have now is more realistic and lifelike, as the early Catalyst Faith seemed a bit off, but again, current Faith is definitely designed to be more appealing.

• Yuki
    18 posts
    edited July 2016
    I have to say that I prefer the Faith from 2008 Mirror's Edge. Not only because she looked more asian, but she felt way more unique, human, playful, appealing and familiar (and badass ; and not only because she could use weapons). So I really regret DICE didn't kept this Faith. Yet, I wouldn't see this version acting in the scenario of Mirror's Edge Catalyst, which is quite disappointing to me anyway (hollywoodian staging doesn't make good scenarios and/or characters, guys).
    faith_connors__mirrors_edge_game_1-t2.jpg
    And I must admit that I really don't like the new Faith, for many reasons : First, she feels unnatural and quite immature because of her emotional side which is too weak and cliché (like the scenario) ; Second, everything is way too centered on herself, as if she was supposed to be some kind of new product or new idol just like "Innocent Lara" from the new Tomb Raiders, with a supposedly deep background about her sister (who's role is very disappointing to me). So, she seem to resemble this sort of egocentristic and "ideal" kind of girl from the new standards of the today's average (soulless) geek. And to be honnest, I didn't really got attached to her at any moment of the story (just like all the other characters in fact).
    1434013914-6428-card.jpg
    In terms of charism, the characters from the 2008 Mirror's Edge happens to be superior ; so it doesn't concern only Faith. Celeste, Merc, Kate and Miller (meh, not Jacknife) represented so much more than Icarus, Noah, Plastic... and all the others. Because there's something too "arrogant" or "exagerated" about this new "cyberpunk crew" casting ; I don't know about you, but... the previous characters miss me, really.
    Faith-and-Merc-mirrors-edge-20348379-480-360.jpg
    Besides that, I found that Mirror's Edge Catalyst is a well produced game, with a great body awareness feeling. But I wished this new Mirror's Edge took another way and was something else in many ways ; something more simple, less "big", less "exagerated". Glass city was a great idea in terms of design ; but all the rest seems more or less drowned into this sanitized aspect of the game ; and so, Faith.
    Post edited by Yuki on
  • Imaproshaman
    135 posts
    edited July 2016
    Yuki wrote: »
    I have to say that I prefer the Faith from 2008 Mirror's Edge. Not only because she looked more asian, but she felt way more unique, human, playful, appealing and familiar (and badass ; and not only because she could use weapons). So I really regret DICE didn't kept this Faith. Yet, I wouldn't see this version acting in the scenario of Mirror's Edge Catalyst, which is quite disappointing to me anyway (hollywoodian staging doesn't make good scenarios and/or characters, guys).
    And I must admit that I really don't like the new Faith, for many reasons : First, she feels unnatural and quite immature because of her emotional side which is too weak and cliché (like the scenario) ; Second, everything is way too centered on herself, as if she was supposed to be some kind of new product or new idol just like "Innocent Lara" from the new Tomb Raiders, with a supposedly deep background about her sister (who's role is very disappointing to me). So, she seem to resemble this sort of egocentristic and "ideal" kind of girl from the new standards of the today's average (soulless) geek. And to be honest, I didn't really got attached to her at any moment of the story (just like all the other characters in fact).
    1434013914-6428-card.jpg
    In terms of charism, the characters from the 2008 Mirror's Edge happens to be superior ; so it doesn't concern only Faith. Celeste, Merc, Kate and Miller (meh, not Jacknife) represented so much more than Icarus, Noah, Plastic... and all the others. Because there's something too "arrogant" or "exaggerated" about this new "cyberpunk crew" casting ; I don't know about you, but... the previous characters miss me, really.
    Besides that, I found that Mirror's Edge Catalyst is a well produced game, with a great body awareness feeling. But I wished this new Mirror's Edge took another way and was something else in many ways ; something more simple, less "big", less "exaggerated". Glass city was a great idea in terms of design ; but all the rest seems more or less drowned into this sanitized aspect of the game ; and so, Faith.

Exactly what I've been saying. You explained that perfectly. Maybe it'll turn out like Uncharted did, where the first one was good but with many problems, and the second one was better but still had problems, and then the third one was the best. (Or so I've heard, I don't know since I haven't actually played the third Uncharted, but still.)
  • Yuki wrote: »
    And I must admit that I really don't like the new Faith, for many reasons : First, she feels unnatural and quite immature because of her emotional side which is too weak and cliché (like the scenario) ; Second, everything is way too centered on herself, as if she was supposed to be some kind of new product or new idol just like "Innocent Lara" from the new Tomb Raiders, with a supposedly deep background about her sister (who's role is very disappointing to me). So, she seem to resemble this sort of egocentristic and "ideal" kind of girl from the new standards of the today's average (soulless) geek. And to be honnest, I didn't really got attached to her at any moment of the story (just like all the other characters in fact).
    1434013914-6428-card.jpg
    In terms of charism, the characters from the 2008 Mirror's Edge happens to be superior ; so it doesn't concern only Faith. Celeste, Merc, Kate and Miller (meh, not Jacknife) represented so much more than Icarus, Noah, Plastic... and all the others. Because there's something too "arrogant" or "exagerated" about this new "cyberpunk crew" casting ; I don't know about you, but... the previous characters miss me, really.
    Besides that, I found that Mirror's Edge Catalyst is a well produced game, with a great body awareness feeling. But I wished this new Mirror's Edge took another way and was something else in many ways ; something more simple, less "big", less "exagerated". Glass city was a great idea in terms of design ; but all the rest seems more or less drowned into this sanitized aspect of the game ; and so, Faith.

Perfect explanation. This is exactly what I've been thinking.
  • GeoffreyOmega
    92 posts
    edited July 2016
    I'm mixed, there are elements that are both great I think in the two games.

IMO the personality in the first one with the voice acting worked much better compared to the new performance. It's not bad, it probably has to do with the way it was written, but I prefer the way the first character was portrayed.

Now about the look, I think Catalyst made everything more "flashy" and somehow "better" beside the pants.
    I happened to like the white baggy she wore in the first game. Now it's all sexy, it's not bad but it doesn't seem very practical.
    I love the new jacket and the bag though, not that the classical yellow bag wasn't good but it didn't seem in anyway practical at all.

I also think they nailed the face but part of the problem here I think was that the first game wasn't meant to see Faith's face.
    And I also think they should have gone this way for Catalyst, it seems like they wanted to introduce deep story but it felt pretty short and I could only see the point if their were developing a game where narrative plays a big part with choices/consequences which was clearly not the case here.

It's different, some improvement were made and there are still rooms left for new improvement in the future.
  • I'm mixed, there are elements that are both great I think in the two games.

IMO the personality in the first one with the voice acting worked much better that the new performance. It's not bad, it probably has to do with the way it was written, but I prefer the way the first character was portrayed.

Now about the look, I think Catalyst made everything more "flashy" and somehow "better" beside the pants.
    I happened to like the white baggy she wore in the first game. Now it's all sexy, it's not bad but it doesn't seem very practical.
    I love the new jacket and the bag though, not that the classical yellow bag wasn't good but it didn't seem in anyway practical at all.

I also think they nailed the face but part of the problem here I think was that the first game wasn't meant to see Faith's face.
    And I also think they should have gone this way for Catalyst, it seems like they wanted to introduce deep story but it felt pretty short and I could only see the point if their were developing a game where narrative plays a big part with choices, consequences which was clearly not the case here.

It's different, some improvement were made and there are still rooms left for new improvement in the future.

I agree with everything here, although I did love the yellow bag. I think Faith's face looks good in the new game but just very different to the original, and I think what I miss most about the first game is the voice actress. I understand the voice actress had to be younger for this one but ALL the characters and voice actors were perfect in Mirror's Edge. Catalyst made everything a lot more flashy, as you say.
  • Teto
    137 posts
    Perfect voice acting in the first ME? Yeah in a sense, but very cliché too.

Voice acting and characterization have flaws in the too game, if you tell me. Gimme a break, first one was very cliché, too, at all levels. Story, characterizations, villains, traitor and so on.
    The 2nd is better? No, of course. Worse? Yeah, a bit, and the story with sister's Faith is just non-sense. But it's not that bad, imho, because the first was bad too...
    Faith's modeling/clothing? Well it's mixed. In the first ME modeling was almost bad, but it doesn't matter because we don't see Faith at all (or just blurry reflection). But the art was really good (I've extracted all art from the game, and picked up all art I was able too on internet) and it would be great to have this face modeled. The new one is bad, too Eurasian? Well, the model was real, it's a real person (and she's beautiful) and I like it. And I prefer this to the model used for the first E3 trailer, so... And for the baggy pants, they look pretty but aren't good for parkour, they can be hooked by something too much. Her new pants are wayyyy better because aerodynamics, and I wore pants like that, it's like wearing a second skin, if the material is soft enough.
  • Bird_Of_Faith
    161 posts
    edited July 2016
    The new faith feels more realistic to me, like she could be a real person. The fact that she's immature to me is a personality trait. It was stated in many times on the website that she's a young, stubborn, and even c*cky woman at times, this is also present in the exordium comics. I have no problem with Faith at the moment, yes she may feel like she's deliberately been made hotter or prettier, thats just how game characters work... Her clothes andhair suit her perfectly and the world she's in, personally i like everything about her now, i like the new Faith...
  • I like new faith way more than old faith in terms of design, 3013/2014 Faith was more appealing to me personally because she looked more like an improved version of the first game. If the game were to be a sequel I bet they would've stuck with the old 2013 model, but with her redesign she looks much younger and European/Asian. I think it was the right decision to make when it comes to the world design of the final version and with Faith's role. In the 2013 version of mirrors edge we were shown a more cold, gray and darker city. In here the city is much more vibrant and alive which is why I think we have the this version of faith.
    "I'm gonna' run."
  • Honestly, I'm very happy with the Faith we got in Mirror's Edge Catalyst. I feel that she is more real compared to the first one. Like, @Bird_Of_Faith said, she seems like a real person. As for her look, I don't mind it at all. The team on the first game specifically stated that they wanted Faith to have a european-asian look. And I think they really nailed it in this one. I also really loved her outfit in MEC. I really like how they made her clothes (and hair) a lot more sleeker. Yeah, yeah, her clothes are more ideal but I didn't really like her baggy cargo pants in the first one. Faith is a runner mind you. It's not going to be easy wearing two white garbage bags with a string tying them at the end while running. (No offense if you prefer the cargo pants more). The city is way more futuristic in this game, and Faith's outfit compliments that. And really, every character I've seen in this game, has tight clothes on. And her personality was more fleshed out than the last one. The character development in this game was a bit too hasty but it didn't affect me all that much. I loved how she started the game trying to push through KrugerSEC rather than destroy them all. And in the last few missions I recall her saying, "It's time to face them.". Meaning, she'd rather destroy any KSEC guard in her sight. I really liked that dynamic. This is all my opinion though.
  • I agree.
  • I'm fine with how she looks in this game. She looked fine in the older game as well. I believe they designed her to resemble the voice actor. farm8.staticflickr.com/7123/7847716516_c5d752df4e_z.jpg ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjM3NzYwNjU5MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzYwNjY2ODE@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg
    Lorn Maverick
  • Teto
    137 posts
    It's pretty obvious...
    Like Alyx in Half Life 2, and many other characters in games...
  • Yeah so I'm cool with her look, I mean she does look more realistic and it's not like you can go out find a girl with acting skills that look exactly like the original. You got to give props to the development team for the work they did on making her look a lot like the actress. The tech now days is astonishing.
    Lorn Maverick
  • Teto
    137 posts
    edited July 2016
    I would appreciate more a more athletic face, but I'm not complain, really. Much better than the model used for the E3 trailer (too much if you tell me).