/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
MAG Rope — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums
Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

MAG Rope

tinypanmilk
130 posts
edited July 2016
I really don't like the MAG Rope. It absolutely ruins the finale mission,
where there should be dramatic climbs and unbelievable parkour to reach the top of an atrium, not just being dragged up by a rope.
There are so many missions that could have been better without the **** grappling hook. Half of the time, swinging with it sends you off track or falling to your death because you can't aim the right way. It also really ruins momentum. Does anybody else feel the same?
Post edited by tinypanmilk on

Comments

• That says d*a*m*n grappling hook, just to clarify.
  • Might wanna mark this as spoilers if you're gonna talk about final mission. I avoided reading your post, I havent finished the story yet but clicked on the link coz it was titalled 'MAG Rope' so assumed it was gonna discuss it in general
  • Loaf112 wrote: »
    Might wanna mark this as spoilers if you're gonna talk about final mission. I avoided reading your post, I havent finished the story yet but clicked on the link coz it was titalled 'MAG Rope' so assumed it was gonna discuss it in general

Oh gosh, sorry! I didn't think about that. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll mark it now :)
  • Yeah I kind of agree. I think the rope's swinging feature is fine, but the pull-up feature i sort of hate. Also, the MAG Rope pull down feature is pointless. It could have been replaced with a slow let down instead.
  • After finishing the game I see your point about the final mission. It just felt rushed and lazy game design. Some missions towards the end of the game did a brilliant job of stringing together everything you'd learned. But then the last mission, it felt like they could feel the end of the game approaching and just wanted to get it wrapped up. Was such an anticlimax to everything they'd built up
  • I finished the game for the 3rd time a few hours ago and I was actually thinking the same thing! Haha what a coincidence. I thought there should have been more parkour and less pull up but whatever.
  • PiTM0N
    8 posts
    edited August 2016
    And let's not forget that the whole mechanic is extremely counter intuitive, as you can only use the rope from certain areas, not from a set distance from the rope's intended target. What is even more infuriating, that many mag rope swings are 1 way only.

The whole mechanic feels really poor sometimes, but I can see why it was added, it has its shining moments too.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that - for me - it also feels wonky to use. It's probably due to while swinging your horizontal speed seems to be a set amount. I completely agree on the final level part, felt very underdeveloped :neutral: . In the previous game, I didn't had such feelings, despite using elevators for a big vertical distance.
  • What makes no sense to me are the areas you can use it.
    There's always this red prop that looks like one of portal's robot. I don't like the design and it is way too off to why there would be this thing here and not somewhere else. I can smell the script here forcing your hand. The swigging idea was nice but the pull up completely ruines the experience I think. I think they tried the Spider Man approach but it ain't a spiderman game.
  • PiTM0N wrote: »
    And let's not forget that the whole mechanic is extremely counter intuitive, as you can only use the rope from certain areas, not from a set distance from the rope's intended target. What is even more infuriating, that many mag rope swings are 1 way only.

The whole mechanic feels really poor sometimes, but I can see why it was added, it has its shining moments too.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that - for me - it also feels wonky to use. It's probably due to while swinging your horizontal speed seems to be a set amount. I completely agree on the final level part, felt very underdeveloped :neutral: . In the previous game, I didn't had such feelings, despite using elevators for a big vertical distance.

I can see why they added it. For an open world games centered around rooftops there was always going to be instances where the gap between two buildings was too big to rely on the parkour mechanics, so they needed a solution. As for your comment about the previous game, I think the elevators were there purely to disguise level loading rather than cutting potential parkour sequences.
  • What makes no sense to me are the areas you can use it.
    There's always this red prop that looks like one of portal's robot. I don't like the design and it is way too off to why there would be this thing here and not somewhere else. I can smell the script here forcing your hand. The swigging idea was nice but the pull up completely ruines the experience I think. I think they tried the Spider Man approach but it ain't a spiderman game.

It's supposed to be a security camera, the thing that you attach the MAG rope to.
  • MichaelT wrote: »
    What makes no sense to me are the areas you can use it.

It's supposed to be a security camera, the thing that you attach the MAG rope to.

In that case why can't we attach our MAG rope to more security cameras? There are cameras all over the place and yet we're very limited in where we can use it.
  • Loaf112 wrote: »
    PiTM0N wrote: »

I can see why they added it. For an open world games centered around rooftops there was always going to be instances where the gap between two buildings was too big to rely on the parkour mechanics, so they needed a solution. As for your comment about the previous game, I think the elevators were there purely to disguise level loading rather than cutting potential parkour sequences.

It's funny you mention that. I agree, I just thought it was funny.