/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Catalyst - a game which needed another year — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

Catalyst - a game which needed another year

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Catalyst - a game which needed another year

If you overlook the fact the game didn't need to be made at all, or at the most generous, as a sequel, Catalyst feels unfinished and thoroughly BETA.

Don't get me wrong, it's far from hideous, but it is not the 8-year labour of love it should be, and it's filled with glitches and rough edges.

The graphics look unfinished - instead of detail cityscape you see blank skyscrapers. Supposed to be 'city of glass' but in reality it just looks like a blank texture.

You have a plot which, barely half an hour in, is totally incoherent and doesn't appear to be going anywhere. This thing is as badly scripted as the original, which got away with it through superb level design and stunning graphics for its day - this game looks like it's stuck in 2009 and is some kind of cheap DLC for the original.

The characters are awful, and none are even remotely likeable - and the game feels like a parallel universe story to the original which just shouldn't be.

The gameplay manages, at times, to have glimpses of the original but it's nowhere near as polished, good, or charming.

And that's the big lack - charm. The new characters, story, visuals, and gameplay touches feel like going through the motions - a knock-off version of Ubisoft style of game with its glut of extra things to do.

In short, this game just wasn't needed, and was a mistake as a reboot. If EA wanted a success, they should have had a sequel or even a prequel - the original Faith was charming, and Merc was the star. Without that original charm and without Merc, this loses so much.

And so far Icarus has all the appeal of a punch in the face.

Just don't know why they bothered making this?

Comments

• So your barely half an hour in?
  • No, about 3 hours? I was just making that comment as a point - that inside a half hour it appears muddled. But your response suggests you probably don't agree with my opinion!
  • Weirdly it's growing on me now. It's not great, and is miles off the charm and quality of the original, and should be much better than it is, but it's above average and is currently a solid 7/10 for me.
  • It is still Mirror's Edge after all. It just plays more like a movie than the 2008 ME. i.e. you are beginning to be this hero to save the city etc whereas in the 2008 version you were doing a rebel job and had to go and save your sister due to political corruption.
    "Yeah yeah I'm sure the birds are real impressed Faith, but once you're done showing off think you might concentrate on some actual work?!!" - Merc
  • It's not still Mirror's Edge though? It has bits and pieces of what made the original great but it really is a quite different game. It's a different team who worked on it, different game engine, different everything. Different voice actor for Faith and essentially it's a completely new game. I take your point about the movie aspect but let's face it, the original was far superior in absolutely every way - except the voice acting. Even the animation of the NPCs in this, for a 2016 game, well, they're beyond diabolical.
  • PS love your sig. I wish Merc was in this game - he made the original. As a reboot there's no reason why not. But he'd have to be the same voice actor too.