/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Mirror's Edge Catalyst Mods — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums
Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Mirror's Edge Catalyst Mods

One of the things I was really hoping for in this game were the modding tools. But, it looks like we don't have them in Catalyst :/ I don't think there'll be official mod support. Maybe someone from the community could try but I heard Frostbite is quite a hard engine to crack, especially with the strong DRM. Its not frostbite itself, but an anti-memory tamper technology created by sony called denuvo, no one has ever cracked it, only found work-arounds. So yeah, no mods. I'm really hoping they may somehow implement these features in a future DLC or patch. Modding tools are what really allow the player to be CREATIVE . If I do remember correctly, one of the level designers of Catalyst cracked the engined used for the first game and built tons of levels and examined models. So why not this one? I don't know, I was just really hoping for this. If anyone has any ideas or has already found out how to mod MEC, please comment. I was just excited to build my own levels and create stories, but It's probably not going to happen with Catalyst. :disappointed: Comment if you agree, or frankly disagree. I'd like to hear from some of you guys, and your opinions on the matter. :)

Comments

• Denuvo security isn't related in any case to the possibility release of the modding tools. There are in fact unlikely to happen because Frostbite is the proprietary engine of DICE who developed it and is now owned by EA. Unlike Unreal Engine and Cryengine, they haven't release Frostbite 3 for small developers and the engine act as an internal tool that every Studio owned by EA is moving on (like the next Mass Effect who used to work on Unreal Engine and is now making the transition to Frostbite 3).
    It's probably an economic issue where EA wants to spend the least possible and it costs likely less to have a team of developers on an engine than to pay the engine itself for each computer of every game company.
  • Teto
    137 posts
    At least we can't mod actual city, because when you change something you to compile all the city for lightin, shadowing, streaming and so on. For Glass, compiling took 7 days (and I don't know the hardware they used).
    So modding Glass is not possible. But EA/DICE could allow adding models, missions that use the city without changing it.
    More than that, they could give the editor (like editors did for Skyrim, Talos, ...) and allow modders to create new cities. Give us the original assets, tutorials about how they did the game (the basics), and let's go.
    If it's not too hard to master (Talos' editor was a pain in the a**) we could play with new cities within few months).
    But EA is like Ubi: no mods allowed.
  • If I ever made a game I'd be like "oh and btw here... developer/modding tools for the community...go nuts."
  • Buraku78 wrote: »
    If I ever made a game I'd be like "oh and btw here... developer/modding tools for the community...go nuts."

Yeah. That'd be awesome!
  • santhi93
    20 posts
    edited July 2016
    Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like EA's cup of tea. I'm just excited for an expansion on the map, this city is so big and... epic. There's the economic centre with taller buildings, the other zones with smaller ones that resembles the first game... So on.
  • MichaelT
    72 posts
    edited October 2016
    Removed for violating EA TOS
    Post edited by EAMod_Mike on
  • I think itd be cool to create your own levels and little open world sections, it would really add to the atmosphere of the game, especially if you can download other players maps or created districts... then the open world would be bigger!! They should consider this, definitely, but lately I've been worried, because they've hardly posted anything on Facebook or twitter... maybe they're all busy or on break... but i this is why I'm sceptical, maybe they're preparing to announce something big? Maybe? I don't know, i just hope they give this franchise what it deserves, and they deserve more chances to create a sequel or DLC!!
  • ParryDiise
    74 posts
    edited October 2016
    Post edited by ParryDiise on
  • Also they are not going to allow mods when they are still considering DLC and maybe even the next game :-P Which may even end up in a different city but who knows :-P
    "Yeah yeah I'm sure the birds are real impressed Faith, but once you're done showing off think you might concentrate on some actual work?!!" - Merc
  • Steveglowplunk
    52 posts
    edited October 2016
    Removed for violating EA TOS
    Post edited by EAMod_Mike on
  • Also they are not going to allow mods when they are still considering DLC and maybe even the next game :-P Which may even end up in a different city but who knows :-P

If the DLC is happening I wouldn't mind not having mods. Its not like the first game had many mods to begin with, so I don't know. The only kind of mod I would think people would end up doing is porting the levels from ME1 over in to this game. Not sure how that would work, but it would be cool to see.
  • Don't get me wrong, I really hope there is dlc for Catalyst and a Mirror's Edge 3. I really do, I bought the collector's edition for Catalyst. However, I would really like if they created a 'trilogy pack' for the original game. If you remember, they wanted Mirrors Edge to be a trilogy so want if they finished it with a remake of ME1 and an all new 2 and 3. I wouldn't want it with frostbite as it would ruin the feel. It needs the unreal engine.
  • camcam889 wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I really hope there is dlc for Catalyst and a Mirror's Edge 3. I really do, I bought the collector's edition for Catalyst. However, I would really like if they created a 'trilogy pack' for the original game. If you remember, they wanted Mirrors Edge to be a trilogy so want if they finished it with a remake of ME1 and an all new 2 and 3. I wouldn't want it with frostbite as it would ruin the feel. It needs the unreal engine.

If it was on the frostbite engine it would be fine. They could fix some of the bugs in the first, and it would look way better, and plus UE3 is almost deprecated. Most devs are moving to UE4 anyways, and also EA develops all in-house games on Frostbite engine, so I doubt they would do that.
  • william_thorp
    3 posts
    edited February 3
    Guys, official mod support may never happen (in Catalyst) , I don't even know if you are allowed to mod the game.

This is probably because of Mirror's Edge: Catalyst's multiplayer support, people would create mods that would allow players to cheat on publicly listed challenges ect, and that would completely ruin the multiplayer experience for everyone.
  • But what about sound or animation edits?
    I'd love to change that squishy sound water makes when you step in it, or make Faith move her mouth in the elevators where you can see her reflection, or have civilians scream when a ksec guard falls from a building literally right next to them. I could come up with more.