/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Possible Hint on Game's Time Frame? — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

Possible Hint on Game's Time Frame?

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Possible Hint on Game's Time Frame?

As far as I know, it is never stated when the game takes place. However, some of the documents you collect may have a hint. In particular, the ones on the corporations contain a market share value that is accompanied by a fiscal year. The latter is written only as FY48, which leads me to believe Catalyst takes place in or around 2048. (Moreover, the establishment year of the corporations is written similarly, with some having been founded as far back as FY01.)

Just a little something I've noticed. Considering the near-future aesthetic of Glass, the 2040's seem like a safe bit anyway.

Comments

• Good find,
    I saw that too but I was thinking it was in a different world from ours with different geography and much farther in the future because of the technology that exists. For example the grid links and the computer contact lenses seems a bit far away and building something on the scale of the shard or the possibility of something as crazy as refection being made seems farther away than about 30 years.
    Using -FY- as a way to tell the year also makes me think it's not 2048 on our earth because it seems like that way you would write B.C.E or C.E (not saying MEC is set way in the past). Meaning maybe mirrors edge is in a different version of earth with it's own different geology and timeframe where they say FY etc. instead of BCE ect. and the world has played out differently and so has time so in MEC's world the next year could be FZ49 or something like that and because the world's time frame in not like ours technology does not follow ours, so there are perfected flying drones but resources are just about all used up and pollution is much much worse that what we have now but because the the differences in worlds maybe their current time FY48 could be our current 2016 or any other possible year.
  • Good find, ...
    You make a good point. The world is indeed different geographically. The technology that exists is not necessarily much more sophisticated than what we have, however. I fully expect to see similar things by around mid-century.

But it's interesting nonetheless.
  • Good find,

Well the region in the game is clearly future Australia, if you observe the maps in the Intel section. I think that it would be completely possible if FY48 referred to 2048, based on the way technology has developed over the past few decades.
  • Given the amount of things that have happened (the generation of the Greylands, the formation of Omnistat, its eventual split and Cascadia's revolution) I find it very unlikely that it's set in 2048. More like 2148. If you're thinking that the technology depicted in the game is less advanced than what you might expect for a time 130-odd years in the future, note that a) the period before Omnistat could very well have set humanity back decades and b) we're always overestimating how fast technology progresses. ; )

But don't forget that FY stands for 'financial year' which fits into the Conglomerate's way of thinking. Given that the earliest date we see is FY01 (the foundation year of one of the main corporations, I can't remember which one) it's perfectly possible that they reset the calendar at that point. So it could be absolutely any year by our calendar!
    980 Ti, i7 6700K, 16GB RAM, Samsung SSD 950 Pro, Windows 10