/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
The shard... — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums
Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

The shard...

Just curious, but does anyone know how many levels the shard is?? Or guess as I couldn't find anything in the game regarding information about how high it is... I know plastic said on the last level that above 3 thousand feet i think it was is when the oxygen is limited. The building is absolutely massive... Im extremely curious.

Comments

• In the original game, the second-to-last elevator at the Shard (the 'beverage' elevator that breaks down) has an audio recording playing where a narrator states the building has over 100 floors. It's not very precise but it's a rough calculation. Of course that's only canon for the first game, there doesn't seem to be any official information on that in Catalyst, and the Shard is a lot different in the reboot.
  • In the original game, the second-to-last elevator at the Shard (the 'beverage' elevator that breaks down) has an audio recording playing where a narrator states the building has over 100 floors. It's not very precise but it's a rough calculation. Of course that's only canon for the first game, there doesn't seem to be any official information on that in Catalyst, and the Shard is a lot different in the reboot.

Yeah, the new sharrd looks much much bigger. I looked up the tallest building in the world, it states its 830 meters to the tip, and 163 floors, that's pretty big, but when you compare it to the shard, the shard looks much bigger...
  • The Shard is probably impossibly high. This game is set in the distant future and I expect that means science and mechanics etc. have expanded a lot more, so they can build higher. I'm quite interested in knowing now!
  • The Shard is probably impossibly high. This game is set in the distant future and I expect that means science and mechanics etc. have expanded a lot more, so they can build higher. I'm quite interested in knowing now!

yeah, its quite interesting...
  • Teto
    137 posts
    The Shard is probably impossibly high. This game is set in the distant future and I expect that means science and mechanics etc. have expanded a lot more, so they can build higher. I'm quite interested in knowing now!
    Every material has a mechanic resistance. If you put an elephant on a glass of wine, it'll broke it. Do the same thing on a brick, no problem.
    So , imagine a pillar very very very tall, that can go to the sky. At a height that I don't know, the pillar would be so heavy that it would broke, due to its own weight. So every material has its limits, concrete too. The new skyscrapers are possible because new concrete materials, and composite materials, are available.
    So in theory, someone could create a new concrete or material that could make the shard possible.
    And by the way, the shape of the base of the tower is pretty accurate, because in this way you have a huge surface to spread out the weight of the tower, so no risk to see it sinking into the ground.
    Pretty sure that they artists took inspiration into a real project.
  • Just curious, but does anyone know how many levels the shard is?? Or guess as I couldn't find anything in the game regarding information about how high it is... I know plastic said on the last level that above 3 thousand feet i think it was is when the oxygen is limited. The building is absolutely massive... Im extremely curious.

I don't know how many levels there are,
    but I'm pretty sure in an interview Sara Jansson said that the tallest building in the game was about 6000 ft. The Shard is the tallest building so that would mean it's around that height,,, (unless I'm remembering wrong)
  • zdothek wrote: »
    Just curious, but does anyone know how many levels the shard is?? Or guess as I couldn't find anything in the game regarding information about how high it is... I know plastic said on the last level that above 3 thousand feet i think it was is when the oxygen is limited. The building is absolutely massive... Im extremely curious.

but I'm pretty sure in an interview Sara Jansson said that the tallest building in the game was about 6000 ft. The Shard is the tallest building so that would mean it's around that height,,, (unless I'm remembering wrong)

Did Sara Jansson quit the development of MEC?
  • testarff
    73 posts
    edited July 2016
    zdothek wrote: »

She said it was even taller, 8000 ft. You can see for yourself:
    ParryDiise wrote: »
    Did Sara Jansson quit the development of MEC?

Think she had a baby and went on maternity leave.