/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Shifting close to a ledge halts Faith — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

Shifting close to a ledge halts Faith

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Shifting close to a ledge halts Faith

I noticed something that is really annoying when trying to do time trials and dashes. If you try shifting while standing very close to a ledge, Faith's speed gets awkwardly cut to a halt. I get that it exists so that you don't accidentally shift off a building and fall to your death, but I can't help but feel like it's limiting when trying to achieve perfect times on challenges. I'd be awesome if the devs did something to change this (not saying "fix" because it seems deliberate). Anyone else having the same issue?

Comments

• Yep. I've had this issue a lot. One time I was SO close to achieving a 3 star-run on The Scenic Route when I shift close to a ledge, BAM! Stopped. Had to gain momentum once again and though I was safe but in the long run I was about .5 seconds late. Very angry that I had to do it again but I did get a better time the 2nd attempt.
    "Should be some scaffolding ahead, try and lose some of the heat in there."
  • ya I have noticed this, it is annoying especially during races.
  • Yep. I've had this issue a lot. One time I was SO close to achieving a 3 star-run on The Scenic Route when I shift close to a ledge, BAM! Stopped. Had to gain momentum once again and though I was safe but in the long run I was about .5 seconds late. Very angry that I had to do it again but I did get a better time the 2nd attempt.

A dash in the view was where I noticed it first but I'm not sure if it was the scenic route or not.
  • By design.

Jump, not shift, at ledges.
  • ninemil wrote: »
    By design.

If it were by design, it would work everytime, consistently if you are on an edge isn't it? It's just an annoying bug. If you stand too close, Shift WILL push you off the edge, just as pressign forward. Not to mention, that it won't work on all kind of edges, just like when you can't fall off an edge while crouching.
  • ninemil wrote: »
    By design.

That's actually what I try to do, but I shift as well, I shift then jump to gain distance and speed, but shifting too close to the edge causes a halt which messes up the jump.
  • PiTM0N wrote: »
    It's just an annoying bug.
    This was discussed during the beta. It's by design. Inconsistency in application will likely be due to frame times or input delay.