/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Mirror's Edge Exordium-Thoughts and a crazy idea — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

Mirror's Edge Exordium-Thoughts and a crazy idea

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Mirror's Edge Exordium-Thoughts and a crazy idea

So I just finished re-reading the "exordium" prequel comics, and I have to say, there is a really strong story there, with interesting and solid characters. Reading them provides so much more depth, not just to the game's story, but to the characters as well. A great read every fan should take the time to do.

However, having played the whole game twice already, I couldn't help but imagine every panel in a cinematic way, like the (absolutely gorgeous) cutscenes in MEC.
A few months ago, I started creating Merc's Lair from the first game in Blender 3D, because I wanted to recreate the cutscenes of the original ME to something that looked like the rest of the game while also having a more cinematic direction. Here's the final render of the exterior (yes I also made the interior):

fIhzrAf.png

Looking good I guess, but I've grown tired of the project ever since, and Blender really is anything but the ideal program to animate or render an animation. I also have NO experience in animating in 3D.

I can't help but have this urge to recreate the Exordium comics in a cutscene style. I realise that's nearly (if not entirely) impossible. There are so many things I can't do, like motion-capture, manual animating, voice acting. Even if I could, I still don't know how I could possibly access all the assets, since frostbite isn't a free engine. I assume the devs would never spend the time and money to do something like this, but all I can do is ask: could you ever give us fans the ability to access the game's content and use it to create UGC like mods and our own cinematics?

Honestly I don't know why I bother writing this, I don't think something like this would be possible, but I feel like I have to tell someone. I was thinking how awesome it'd be if we could assemble a team of fans that are willing to create the necessary content to recreate the comics. I doubt that's ever happening, but I can dream. o:)

Comments

• This is such an incredible idea. Unfortunately I'm clueless as to 3-D animation, software etc. so I can't really help, but seeing the comic rendered into cutscenes would be beautiful and the image you've already finished is awesome. I hope you can find a way, I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.
  • I had the exact same idea!! The only problem is, is that I need the cutscene models of Faith, or any models. I'd need set models, etc. But I would only be able to get those from ripping them from the game which I'm completely clueless of how to do. So yeah, I probably won't be able to make this happen either.
  • read exordium not too long ago. it adds a little more depth to the "runners" thing, but nothing more.
  • ParryDiise wrote: »
    I had the exact same idea!! The only problem is, is that I need the cutscene models of Faith, or any models. I'd need set models, etc. But I would only be able to get those from ripping them from the game which I'm completely clueless of how to do. So yeah, I probably won't be able to make this happen either.

That's my main problem too.