/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Suggested button change — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums
Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Suggested button change

I play on the XBOX1 , and while doing Dashes you have to hold X to restart. Usually when I need to restart I made a wrong move and am falling to my demise. Holding X takes too long to register, so it respawns me on the rooftop with the timer still going and I have to restart from there. That's 2 loading screens and gets annoying for an attempting perfectionist who falls a lot to get it right.
I have found a better approach by pausing mid-fall and restarting from there, BUT it would be incredibly convenient if you guys could change the restart button to 'up' on the D pad instead of holding X on one of your updates.
I hope you're listening and if so, thank you for listening and making an incredible game. I loved the first and I love this one! Keep em' comin!

Comments

• I would like it if it just reset your progress entirely if you fall. There's no way to recover and get a decent time on a run after falling so it's just a hassle to die, load, and have to re-load again. I can't remember how it was in the original, but since it wasn't open world loading was instant. Here in Catalyst, not so much. If someone was really insistant on keeping the "respawn mid-race after death" idea, could we at least get an option in the gameplay section to "Restart race after death" or something?
  • I would like it if it just reset your progress entirely if you fall. There's no way to recover and get a decent time on a run after falling so it's just a hassle to die, load, and have to re-load again. I can't remember how it was in the original, but since it wasn't open world loading was instant. Here in Catalyst, not so much. If someone was really insistant on keeping the "respawn mid-race after death" idea, could we at least get an option in the gameplay section to "Restart race after death" or something?

That makes even more sense. If you die, you automatically start over. Let our voices be heard! All in favor say 'aye'!
  • AYE!

Yes
  • There is a benefit to not completely restarting from a fall I will say, and that's to master that certain spot you keep falling at without going all the way to the beginning.
  • To have the option to stay and smooth out your kinks is nice ;)
  • Imaproshaman
    135 posts
    edited November 2016
    This is exactly what I've been thinking! Still though... Why do the loading screens take so long? GTAV loads better than this; and that's saying something considering that that was a 2013 game and MEC is a 2016 game.
    Post edited by Imaproshaman on
  • Up on the D-pad .. I'm tellin ya!!! ;)
    Although I have gotten good at hitting pause...then restart ;)
  • I agree with what most people are saying here, but I think the best solution would be to add a checkbox in the game option to "Automatically restart Dashes/Time Trials when dying" which can be off by default, but be there for those of us who want it.
  • This is exactly what I've been thinking! Still though... Why do the loading screens take so long? GTAV loads better than this; and that's saying something considering that that was a 2013 game and MEC is a 2016 game.

Even on a computer with the game loaded on a super fast PCIe NVMe drive I get load times of 15-20 seconds. Seems awfully slow.

BTW, looking at the memory allocation, the game uses 5GB of VRAM at Ultra settings at 4K. When loading begins after dying or failing a mission, it seems to usually start with about 2.5GB still in the VRAM and the delay is that other 2.5GB loading. I don't know if it is going to the VRAM from the system RAM, the hard drive, or both.

I would guess the consoles are running at 1080p and medium settings. Don't know how much VRAM they have or that would require, but it certainly uses all of it.
  • This is exactly what I've been thinking! Still though... Why do the loading screens take so long? GTAV loads better than this; and that's saying something considering that that was a 2013 game and MEC is a 2016 game.

Even on a computer with the game loaded on a super fast PCIe NVMe drive I get load times of 15-20 seconds. Seems awfully slow.

BTW, looking at the memory allocation, the game uses 5GB of VRAM at Ultra settings at 4K. When loading begins after dying or failing a mission, it seems to usually start with about 2.5GB still in the VRAM and the delay is that other 2.5GB loading. I don't know if it is going to the VRAM from the system RAM, the hard drive, or both.

I would guess the consoles are running at 1080p and medium settings. Don't know how much VRAM they have or that would require, but it certainly uses all of it.

Ah. I see what you mean. Hm.
  • testarff
    73 posts
    edited November 2016

Xbox One runs at 720p and PS4 runs at 900p. Both systems have an 8GB pool of shared memory, used both as System and Video RAM. You can read more about that here: http://www.redgamingtech.com/amd-huma-ps4-and-xbox-one-memory-system-analysis/
  • why the **** cant we just map the controller the way we want to in game? its not hard its the simplest thing i dont know that much about program code yet but could at least do that.