/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Ultimately a disappointing waste of 8 years' time — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

Ultimately a disappointing waste of 8 years' time

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Ultimately a disappointing waste of 8 years' time

I'm a huge ME fan - I think we all are. Acting aside, the original was basically a masterpiece. It's one of my top 10 or even 5 games ever. The combat might have been a little ropey but the game was basically perfection. The characters were top class, with Merc basically stealing the whole thing.

So making a reboot because the original sold ok and having another shot really defeated the purpose. If customers weren't buying into the original enough to make it a big hit, then rebooting it wasn't going have the opposite effect. Especially not when the final product was this average.

It was ok, ok? It wasn't a horrible game, but it was criminally underwhelming for a game which promised so much.

I'll do an old school style elements review:

Graphics: 3

They were purely and simply trash. By today's standards, this looked like a 2009 mod for the original game, and an amateur one at that. A disgusting abuse of a superb engine (Frostbite, maybe they chose the completely wrong engine?) - beats me why DICE concocted such a mess of a game. The character models looked ok, yes, even good; but everything else was by today's standards a monstrosity.

Sound: 5

Music was ok, added enough to the atmosphere, and the ambience had the Mirror's Edge feel to it, but the voice acting was bland, if not awful, and you barely cared about any of the characters as a result.

Gameplay: 6

Parkour was flakey - yes, it allowed a bit of expansion on the original but all the extra moves gave you was a slight advantage if you were going for a better time. We weren't all interested in that side of the game. We wanted to explore a bit, and weirdly for an 'open world' game it felt anything but open. It was a linear game in an open world dressing. The combat was awful, just awful - it was repetitive, and the excruciating animations where opponents were eager to hurl themselves off rooftops or those annoying backrolls forced on you when a Sentinel hit you were just blood boiling. Also, that second transmitter climb for the train to the Shard was literally the most annoying sequence I've experienced in a game since the Maze in Doorways: Underworld. Absolutely awful section which was made worse by the game mechanics. Took me 30 goes to do it, each time having to run across the entire city, beat up the KrugerSecs and then try the ascend again.

Story: 2

Diabolical in every sense. Characters without resolution or development (Noah, Birdman), bland and poorly fleshed out lead (Faith) - the only decent character I actually cared about was Plastic. The story was just a hash, poorly scripted without really explaining itself, and side missions which added absolutely nothing to anything beyond play time. And the ending was just absolutely cr*p - 'this is just the start'.

This isn't the worst game I've ever played, but it's nothing more than an elaborate but amateur mod for the original, and it simply shouldn't have been made. Mirror's Edge was a one off, a game which appealed to a clique audience. It should have been left as that.

Comments

• CookieMan
    30 posts
    edited July 2016
    I disagree. The graphics were fantastic on a PC that can run the game at ultra/hyper settings. However as a PS4 player the graphics were moderately fine; better than any 2014 game let alone a 2009 game. Story was much more interesting than the original because of the plot twists and characters (as cliche as they were.) The parkour mechanics were better than the original because of the fluid movement as opposed to the clunky "take 6 seconds to reach max speed that will be instantly stopped if you dare even strafe." The fighting mechanics were 3 times better than the original "3 combo punch or disarm and shoot." There were some things the original did slightly better, but overall I would pick ME:C over the original any day. I'm not hating on the original at all, in fact I adored the game at it's time but new mirrors edge wins in almost every way. I am not trying to tell you that your opinions are wrong, because opinions are not facts. I'm simply just writing my view point on your criticisms :smile:
    "I'm gonna' run."
  • I have 980Ti SLI - I ran at full settings and it looked atrocious to me. Oh no, everyone's entitled to opinion, but for me saying this game is better than the original is up there with saying One Direction are better than the Beatles :)
  • I think everything was better than the first game except for story, the story in this game was terrible compared to the first game because of a few main things, the story was kind of short, the characters weren't nearly as developed as they could've been (probably because there were too many), the story was kind of cliche, and characters, especially faith, was inconsistent with who their character was.

I mean in the beginning faith was a reckless girl with a big ego, near the end she was this mature caring person using big words, this wouldn't have been so bad if the transition between these personalities seemed realistic as oppose to "all of a sudden".

The thing is the Mirror's Edge Catalyst story in its entirety isn't bad at all, everything is really well thought out, from the all the characters motivations, to the history of Cascadia and The City of Glass, as showed through the documents and recordings found across the city, as well as through the Exordium comic.

The one part in the game story I found really interesting and well done was Faith's back story, it's tragic, sad, and you get enough information about her past and her family that, at least for me, I cared about, I just wish Faith's past reflected more in her character.

It's clear that the story of the game has changed quite a bit since Catalyst's original announcement a year ago in 2015, some cut scenes we saw in the trailer didn't make it into the game, and in some parts of the trailer Faith had her arm tattoo while in other parts she didn't, which led me to believe she gets the tattoo somewhere in the middle of the game as oppose to the end of the game. Also looking back at the original announcement in 2013 she got her eye tattoo at the same time she got her arm tattoo, another big story change I would say.

All in all I too am disappointed with the game story, but in my opinion the graphics look great on PC, even at medium settings, as those are the settings I can run the game at on my laptop, I love the music of the game, voice acting was only bad for Faith and Icarus, for everyone else I thought the voice acting was excellent, and I really enjoy the gameplay, I think the new movement is superb compared to the last game as well as for the combat, although the combat, once you get all the upgrades, is kind of over powered.
  • ArchAngeL_777
    39 posts
    edited July 2016
    I think you are remembering the first game in a better light than what it actually is. I loved the first game and its one of my top 5 games of last console generation. But really that's because the parkour gameplay was so unique and fluid, and I really liked the overall design and colors they used in the city. So I basically overlooked eveything else. The story in the first game was adequate for what it needed. The characters weren't really that great other than Merc. The combat was pretty lame, and often plain frustrating at times. Really it all boiled down to disarming a telegraphed move from the AI. There wasn't much in the way of route diversity in the game. There were minor variations you could take here and there. Most of all there really wasn't anything to do after the story was over. The time trials just weren't interesting to me at all. So I ended up playing the game near a dozen times.

Like others have said, Catalyst addresses basically all of this stuff and then some. The running is still outstanding and the city is well designed with the same use of colors, etc. But now we have this huge open world with every route variation you'd want, not to mention hours upon hours of exploration and side quests to do. And that's before you get into the user defined time trials. This is the best open world game I've played for when after the story is over. If you don't like the trials in the game, you can make your own wherever you want, including whatever obstacles you want, etc.. Additions like the Mag Glove are excellent and add a new dimension to the game. The most impressive thing is every building and rooftop is completely unique with a wide variety of ways in and around them. There's no cut and paste going on. The combat is so far above the first game, there's no point in comparing the two. The AI's could improve but Faith is amazing.

The only point I could possibly see is the story. I personally think Catalyst has a better story and definitely a better overall group of characters. But the story still isn't near on the level of something like an Uncharted. So I can still see someone maybe liking the story in the first game better. Still, like in the first game, the story is more than adequate to drive what the game needs taking Faith to a lot of cool locations.
  • Also, the graphics in this game are very good. Nothing on current generation consoles actually looks like a 2009 game. It's clearly been too long since you played a 2009 game, especially on 5-10 year old hardware like a PS3 or 360.
  • Danny_G13
    20 posts
    edited August 2016
    Also, the graphics in this game are very good. Nothing on current generation consoles actually looks like a 2009 game. It's clearly been too long since you played a 2009 game, especially on 5-10 year old hardware like a PS3 or 360.

I regularly play PS3. I know what graphics used to look like. I still play PS1 in fact!

However I'm playing this on PC and anyone who believes the visuals look 2016 standard is seeing it in a very different way to what I am. Compared with its peers like BF4, Metro LL, Hitman, and indeed most modern marquee titles it looks like an amateur mod for the original game.

I'm astounded so many on here like how this looks. But I respect your views, even if I couldn't disagree more!
  • The combat is so far above the first game, there's no point in comparing the two. The AI's could improve but Faith is amazing.

Describing the combat as above the first game really makes me wonder why? What have I missed. What aspect of the repetitive, cr*ppy uninspired and automated combat have I not seen, and more to the point, what happened to all those views when this game first got released where the combat was slaughtered, pun not intended.

It's as if they all left, stopped playing, gave up, and the ones remaining are the hard core who love the game for love or money.

Not that you guys are wrong, or I am right; it's just I'm seeing a very different response now to how it was a few weeks after release. That view is one I stick with.
  • I disagree as well, this game is gorgeous on Hyper
  • RedDesign
    10 posts
    edited August 2016
    I disagree as well, this game is gorgeous on Hyper
    Lol, enemies have no brains. Story is short and no performances fix.
  • ArchAngeL_777
    39 posts
    edited August 2016
    Danny_G13 wrote: »
    The combat is so far above the first game, there's no point in comparing the two. The AI's could improve but Faith is amazing.

Describing the combat as above the first game really makes me wonder why? What have I missed. What aspect of the repetitive, cr*ppy uninspired and automated combat have I not seen, and more to the point, what happened to all those views when this game first got released where the combat was slaughtered, pun not intended.

It's as if they all left, stopped playing, gave up, and the ones remaining are the hard core who love the game for love or money.

Not that you guys are wrong, or I am right; it's just I'm seeing a very different response now to how it was a few weeks after release. That view is one I stick with.

How long exactly is it since you played Mirror's Edge? haha. Seriously, the combat in the first game was easily the most frustrating part. Faith had basically no moves, and if you didn't want to get shot in the face, you had to time a completely telegraphed swing from the AI to disarm him. Miss the timing and you get smacked in the face with a gun. If there was ever an uninspired combat system, it's the one from the first Mirror's Edge game.

In Catalyst, Faith has a lot more freedom of movement, more moves, and there's no set way to deal with security. The only negative is that the AI isn't all that bright. Other than the top end enforcers, they don't make for good sparing partners.

People on here and on other websites like IGN have been defending this game since the game came out. I was on IGN and they gave it a 6.8. The reviewer was getting hammered so badly in the comment section, they took the review off the front page pretty quickly.
  • The combat system is definitely a huge improvement in this game. I never liked the idea of using weapon in the first one and for some reasons, I felt guilty firing with weapons in a parkour game, I can't explain it but it's like I had empathy for the people even if they were on the wrong side and shooting them just felt wrong. Now the combat is flashy, the mechanic works but yeah, the downside is definitely the AI that lack proper intelligence to challenge the player. But again it's a parkour game, fight should be fun but avoidable. I even disliked a bit the fact that Faith is described as a Fierce Fighter. I think fighting should be part of the game but ennemies should be more deadly and challenging so running away would always be the smart move.
  • Danny_G13 wrote: »
    Also, the graphics in this game are very good. Nothing on current generation consoles actually looks like a 2009 game. It's clearly been too long since you played a 2009 game, especially on 5-10 year old hardware like a PS3 or 360.

I regularly play PS3. I know what graphics used to look like. I still play PS1 in fact!

However I'm playing this on PC and anyone who believes the visuals look 2016 standard is seeing it in a very different way to what I am. Compared with its peers like BF4, Metro LL, Hitman, and indeed most modern marquee titles it looks like an amateur mod for the original game.

I'm astounded so many on here like how this looks. But I respect your views, even if I couldn't disagree more!

This game may not be the model of top end current graphics, but to say it's a 2009 level game is a complete exaggeration. I played it on PS4 and it looks good. I've yet to play a PS4 game that made me think for an instant I'm playing on PS3 hardware, even a title Planetside 2 which is purposefully dialing back the graphics to accommodate a much higher player count than Battlefield.
  • I'm sorry, anyone who says Catalysts visuals and combat aren't an improvement are either drunk or have nostalgia goggles on. I played Mirrors Edge right before Catalyst came out to make sure I still wanted it so my perceptions aren't clouded like some peoples' seem to be.
  • Sikboy1029 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, anyone who says Catalysts visuals and combat aren't an improvement are either drunk or have nostalgia goggles on. I played Mirrors Edge right before Catalyst came out to make sure I still wanted it so my perceptions aren't clouded like some peoples' seem to be.

I did the same thing, and I agree.