/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Revenue analysis suggests 1.7 - 2 million copies sold — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

Revenue analysis suggests 1.7 - 2 million copies sold

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Revenue analysis suggests 1.7 - 2 million copies sold

ninemil
218 posts
edited August 2016
In a Michael Pachter interview, discussing EA's quarterly's, the analyst suggested sales were a little below 2 million, certainly in line with EA's statement that the game's performance was "meeting expectations."
When asked about Electronic Art’s relatively criticized "Mirror's Edge" game, Pachter said "the results were fine.” Although Electronic Arts didn’t provide any exact figures on the game, revenue numbers suggest it sold between 1.7-2.0 million units, according to the analyst.
Continued franchise support essentially certain.

Anyone else wanna scream doom and gloom, and make themselves look like an ****?

Comments

• Well, it's actually a good news, I hope this time we won't have to wait 8 years. Not that I'd like them to rush and publish us a new game every year but it would be very nice to see a new game coming out exploring more possibilities especially on the multiplayer side I think which is Catalyst strongest point I think. At least I've kept repeat that the game started from me when I finished the storyline and had all the upgrades.
  • Bird_Of_Faith
    161 posts
    edited August 2016
    This is certainly interesting, thats a lot of copies sold since release. This makes me happy as i feel Dice would feel even more confident in making a sequel, as i think the game franchise really needs to continue on with catalysts story. There is so much potential in this...
  • This is great news indeed. That's a lot of copies sold within the first couple of months while the price is at it's peak. I guess EA wasn't kidding when they said it met their expectations, and I'm glad it did. I agree that this points to a 3rd game being highly likely.
  • This is great news indeed. That's a lot of copies sold within the first couple of months while the price is at it's peak. I guess EA wasn't kidding when they said it met their expectations, and I'm glad it did. I agree that this points to a 3rd game being highly likely.

i hope so! it would be great to see this franchise taken further, as i think it actually has that potential to become even better. especially to see where and what happens to faith and the story. i feel that there is still more to this story then everyone thinks, so hopefully a third game is on its way, maybe something announced at gamescom???
  • ArchAngeL_777
    39 posts
    edited August 2016
    Well, it's actually a good news, I hope this time we won't have to wait 8 years. Not that I'd like them to rush and publish us a new game every year but it would be very nice to see a new game coming out exploring more possibilities especially on the multiplayer side I think which is Catalyst strongest point I think. At least I've kept repeat that the game started from me when I finished the storyline and had all the upgrades.

Yeah I definitely think some kind of coop play should be explored for the next game. The ideal scenario to me would be something like what Burnout Paradise did with how they transitioned you from a single player open world into a multiplayer open world with seven other players. Everything you had done in single player was reflected in the multiplayer and vise versa.

For Mirror's Edge, they could allow you to join 2 or 3 friends at least in a multiplayer session of the open world:
    • Everything you did in single player (time trials, collectibles, etc.) would be reflected in your version of the multiplayer open world. Everything you complete in multiplayer will be reflected back into your single player world.
    • Each of you could do your own thing, follow each other around, mess with security, etc.
    • You'd of course see each other's characters, so it would be good to give Faith some different costumes to unlock in game that can give her a different look in multiplayer. Maybe even allow people to choose different runners from the game for their online selves like what Naughty Dog did with Uncharted multiplayer.
    • They could set up the ability for people to issue challenges that everyone participates in. The challenge starts after everyone accepts. It can be something like a Beat L.E. challenge to meet at a certain point, so everyone has to figure out how to get there. It can be a time trial of course, so everyone ends up doing the time trial and the game shows how fast each player finished. They could even do some challenges like go take down X amount of security patrols, etc.
    • Of course security would be as active as ever. So while not in a challenge, players could see their friend being chased and help them out, etc.

I think if they put together another great open world in Glass, continued the story, improved the AI in combat, and added in this coop ability to share your open world experience directly with your friends, that would be a huge step up for this game and likely draw a lot more people into the IP.

With Glass, They could actually go ahead and re-use all the areas from Catalyst and add a whole new large area in the portions of the map we can't currently get to, effectively doubling the size of the city. That would be a nice touch and something truly unique in gaming. Getting a new game with a ton of all new areas, yet also being able to revisit the areas you ran through in Catalyst. Then Birdman and Plastic don't have to move haha.
  • Well, it's actually a good news, I hope this time we won't have to wait 8 years. Not that I'd like them to rush and publish us a new game every year but it would be very nice to see a new game coming out exploring more possibilities especially on the multiplayer side I think which is Catalyst strongest point I think. At least I've kept repeat that the game started from me when I finished the storyline and had all the upgrades.

Yeah I definitely think some kind of coop play should be explored for the next game. The ideal scenario to me would be something like what Burnout Paradise did with how they transitioned you from a single player open world into a multiplayer open world with seven other players. Everything you had done in single player was reflected in the multiplayer and vise versa.

For Mirror's Edge, they could allow you to join 2 or 3 friends at least in a multiplayer session of the open world:
    • Everything you did in single player (time trials, collectibles, etc.) would be reflected in your version of the multiplayer open world. Everything you complete in multiplayer will be reflected back into your single player world.
    • Each of you could do your own thing, follow each other around, mess with security, etc.
    • You'd of course see each other's characters, so it would be good to give Faith some different costumes to unlock in game that can give her a different look in multiplayer. Maybe even allow people to choose different runners from the game for their online selves like what Naughty Dog did with Uncharted multiplayer.
    • They could set up the ability for people to issue challenges that everyone participates in. The challenge starts after everyone accepts. It can be something like a Beat L.E. challenge to meet at a certain point, so everyone has to figure out how to get there. It can be a time trial of course, so everyone ends up doing the time trial and the game shows how fast each player finished. They could even do some challenges like go take down X amount of security patrols, etc.
    • Of course security would be as active as ever. So while not in a challenge, players could see their friend being chased and help them out, etc.

I think if they put together another great open world in Glass, continued the story, improved the AI in combat, and added in this coop ability to share your open world experience directly with your friends, that would be a huge step up for this game and likely draw a lot more people into the IP.

With Glass, They could actually go ahead and re-use all the areas from Catalyst and add a whole new large area in the portions of the map we can't currently get to, effectively doubling the size of the city. That would be a nice touch and something truly unique in gaming. Getting a new game with a ton of all new areas, yet also being able to revisit the areas you ran through in Catalyst. Then Birdman and Plastic don't have to move haha.

I too do believe that some kind of "asynchronous" gameplay is the key if Mirrors Edge wants success in the multiplayer realm of things. I understand why it wasn't included to this degree in Catalyst, but there is almost no excuse for the next installment. However, I don't think the multiplayer should effect the single player experience too much. Cause if it effected a players story in the wrong way, it could make people not want to play, and then the multiplayer mode would prove useless. I think that is the one thing they need to do is strike that balance between cooperative play, and the somewhat separate single player campaign. Not too mention that interacting with other players will really sell the concept behind ME even further.

Although, what you mentioned about expanding the areas, I think they could easily do that in the current game. From a technical standpoint it shouldn't be that difficult for them. Back in beta they actually took explorable parts of the map out, so that PC players couldn't mod into the game to get to inaccessible areas even if they wanted to. There have been certain things I've wanted to see more from in ME since the first game, and to name one more specifically would be the interesting ground level areas of the ME world. I mean, you only really saw some of it in the first game, and only ran through the ground level in only two missions. I think we need to see what life is like below the roof tops, and also add more roofs to run on would be pretty great too, XD. All in all though, I just want more to do. I'm glad MEC isn't as short as the first game, but its still a bit too short. I would like more activities, that are worth my time, or more story elements that would make me want to play the game for 3 to 4 more hours or so.

I too do believe that some kind of "asynchronous" gameplay is the key if Mirrors Edge wants success in the multiplayer realm of things. I understand why it wasn't included to this degree in Catalyst, but there is almost no excuse for the next installment. However, I don't think the multiplayer should effect the single player experience too much. Cause if it effected a players story in the wrong way, it could make people not want to play, and then the multiplayer mode would prove useless. I think that is the one thing they need to do is strike that balance between cooperative play, and the somewhat separate single player campaign. Not too mention that interacting with other players will really sell the concept behind ME even further.

Although, what you mentioned about expanding the areas, I think they could easily do that in the current game. From a technical standpoint it shouldn't be that difficult for them. Back in beta they actually took explorable parts of the map out, so that PC players couldn't mod into the game to get to inaccessible areas even if they wanted to. There have been certain things I've wanted to see more from in ME since the first game, and to name one more specifically would be the interesting ground level areas of the ME world. I mean, you only really saw some of it in the first game, and only ran through the ground level in only two missions. I think we need to see what life is like below the roof tops, and also add more roofs to run on would be pretty great too, XD. All in all though, I just want more to do. I'm glad MEC isn't as short as the first game, but its still a bit too short. I would like more activities, that are worth my time, or more story elements that would make me want to play the game for 3 to 4 more hours or so.

I don't know if you played Burnout Paradise, but there wasn't any story to the game at all. Basically it's like roaming around in Glass after you've finished the story. Its a lot of races, events, things to find and explore, etc. Those are the things you could do in either single or multiplayer. So for ME, you'd be able to keep finding Grid Leaks, bags, documents, recordings, and running time trials while in multiplayer.

They could probably disable story missions in multiplayer since you can't coop those anyway, as well as side missions like unlocking Grid nodes. Maybe even disable the optional delivery missions.

Diversion missions could actually be altered in a cool way so that the entire multiplayer session could take part in distracting security.
  • @ninemil Im so glad someone posted this, It was getting tiring reading posts about a game that has only been out for two month's being abandoned or something because of no DLC announcement's yet .

I do believe that one of the Dev's or mod's on this very forum asked what we wanted in a DLC, so clearly they do want to make some dlc and from the speech at the end of the game they also want to make more games. My guess is they are just busy right now and making DLC does actually take time to work on. But I think DICE believes that there is a future in this game just like many of us.
  • sonicnerd14
    124 posts
    edited August 2016
    Well, it's actually a good news, I hope this time we won't have to wait 8 years. Not that I'd like them to rush and publish us a new game every year but it would be very nice to see a new game coming out exploring more possibilities especially on the multiplayer side I think which is Catalyst strongest point I think. At least I've kept repeat that the game started from me when I finished the storyline and had all the upgrades.

I don't know if you played Burnout Paradise, but there wasn't any story to the game at all. Basically it's like roaming around in Glass after you've finished the story. Its a lot of races, events, things to find and explore, etc. Those are the things you could do in either single or multiplayer. So for ME, you'd be able to keep finding Grid Leaks, bags, documents, recordings, and running time trials while in multiplayer.

They could probably disable story missions in multiplayer since you can't coop those anyway, as well as side missions like unlocking Grid nodes. Maybe even disable the optional delivery missions.

Diversion missions could actually be altered in a cool way so that the entire multiplayer session could take part in distracting security.

Yeah, I know what you are saying, but I don't think that would be enough for a Mirrors Edge multiplayer experience. You would need enough, so that it can distinguish itself from the rest of the game. Maybe they can add some dynamically driven events in the multiplayer that can allow people to group up with one another for specific task. Something more than just grid leaks, or delivery missions, in a way, sort of like Destiny in the essence that there are certain times that players can opt into the multiplayer world, and so they want to have some kind of cooperative interaction.
    Post edited by sonicnerd14 on
  • Please don't turn a Mirror's Edge sequel into a multiplayer game where you just hunt gridleaks with friends! I coundn't even get myself to try that many of the deliveries in catalyst, cause they are so repetitive. Same with collectibles. Too much of that just turns it into a boring ubisoft open world game.

Just add tons of main missions and a lot more secondary missions, like with the one where you have to break in and catch a drone. Stuff like that.
  • mimicdk wrote: »
    Please don't turn a Mirror's Edge sequel into a multiplayer game where you just hunt gridleaks with friends! I coundn't even get myself to try that many of the deliveries in catalyst, cause they are so repetitive. Same with collectibles. Too much of that just turns it into a boring ubisoft open world game.

Just add tons of main missions and a lot more secondary missions, like with the one where you have to break in and catch a drone. Stuff like that.

A multiplayer component wouldn't just be hunting gridleaks, there'd be a lot more to it, like cooperative missions, for example, one player infiltrates into a coporate building to steal data, the other is a diversion for k-sec to keep them away from the other player. So they both have roles in the same mission. This is just an idea i had, but to me this would probably be dices choice over just searching for gridleaks together... But yeah, i understand what youre coming from. But to me id love a multiplayer co op component like that...
  • Must be mostly consoles, as the PC leaderboards I'm looking at suggest that there are at most a few thousand people that have attempted the dashes in the midgame. And let's not get started about the ones at the end. Granted, it's optional content, but if you figure that 5% of the players reach and at least try the midgame dashes, we're not talking huge PC sales numbers here.

Which is a shame, because the difference between the consoles' ability to render this game and a properly built PC's is night and day.
    Please don't turn a Mirror's Edge sequel into a multiplayer game where you just hunt gridleaks with friends! I coundn't even get myself to try that many of the deliveries in catalyst, cause they are so repetitive. Same with collectibles. Too much of that just turns it into a boring ubisoft open world game.

No one's asking for them to do that haha This is all stuff we are talking about in addition to a new story mode, etc. Grabbing collectibles is just one of the variety of things you should be able to do in multiplayer.

I don't think you can expect "tons" of main missions and such in multiplayer even if they decide to do any at all. Shooters and other games with popular multiplayer don't even do that. They certainly aren't going to have more coop missions in multiplayer than in the main story. I think they should have at least a few though to mix things up.

Look up the Burnout Paradise multiplayer and how that worked. People were enjoying that game online for years after it released. It had a variety of challenges for the whole group to do, and let fans of the game just hang out and have fun in the open world they created. Since much of Mirror's Edge revolves around "racing" from one point to another, I think Burnout Paradise's multiplayer model is a perfect fit to start with.

No one's asking for them to do that haha This is all stuff we are talking about in addition to a new story mode, etc. Grabbing collectibles is just one of the variety of things you should be able to do in multiplayer.

I don't think you can expect "tons" of main missions and such in multiplayer even if they decide to do any at all. Shooters and other games with popular multiplayer don't even do that. They certainly aren't going to have more coop missions in multiplayer than in the main story. I think they should have at least a few though to mix things up.

Look up the Burnout Paradise multiplayer and how that worked. People were enjoying that game online for years after it released. It had a variety of challenges for the whole group to do, and let fans of the game just hang out and have fun in the open world they created. Since much of Mirror's Edge revolves around "racing" from one point to another, I think Burnout Paradise's multiplayer model is a perfect fit to start with.

Well, that's why I said if they ever do a multiplayer mode in a future game, then they should have some kind of dynamically generated events. Also, adding some kinds of unique activities over time in just the single player alone in the current game can increase the longevity of it. As long as its UNIQUE and not generic, but honestly they really do need some more story content. Maybe 4 to 5 hours worth of it to add more context, make the game a lot more worth while. A lot of the missions in this game are just too short, there were really only a few memorable missions in this game that had somewhat of a decent length to them.
  • I hope this means more ME for us, regardless, I´m happy for the team getting results, they deserve it
  • MECTester
    49 posts
    edited August 2016
    "Anyone else wanna scream doom and gloom, and make themselves look like a fool? "

If the game had sold well, and if these numbers were accurate, you'd have heard EA make mention of the quarter's only big release during recent financial conversation. They didn't, which is a 100% guarantee that the game under performed, in spite of their supposed commentary to the contrary. Numbers talk, nonsense walks--always, without exception. Subjectivity means nothing; quantify or lie.
    Post edited by EAMod_Mike on
  • Incidentally, could you please post a link to the source you quoted?
  • Bird_Of_Faith
    161 posts
    edited August 2016
    MECTester wrote: »
    "Anyone else wanna scream doom and gloom, and make themselves look like an fool? "

If the game had sold well, and if these numbers were accurate, you'd have heard EA make mention of the quarter's only big release during recent financial conversation. They didn't, which is a 100% guarantee that the game under performed, in spite of their supposed commentary to the contrary. Numbers talk, nonsense walks--always, without exception. Subjectivity means nothing; quantify or lie.

This is for everyone, don't doubt the game, no one should ever doubt dice, or Ea, because no one knows what the **** they're actually deciding for the future of the franchise, Ea said it met their expectations, thats good, always good to hear. Take watch dogs for example, was hyped up waayy too much, released, was terrible and so many people disliked it, they may of toped the copies sold of catalyst im not sure, but that wasn't the point. It was a terrible game... Catalyst however didn't get that sort of negative attention in big waves, if anything, it got less negative points. There's always hope, they've announced a watch dogs 2, if they can do it, so can catalyst. I will never lose hope for this franchise. It has potential, and I think Dice and EA know that...

• Imaproshaman
    135 posts
    edited August 2016
    "Anyone else wanna scream doom and gloom, and make themselves look like an fool? "

This is for everyone, don't doubt the game, no one should ever doubt dice, or Ea, because no one knows what they're actually deciding for the future of the franchise, Ea said it met their expectations, thats good, always good to hear. Take watch dogs for example, was hyped up waayy too much, released, was terrible and so many people disliked it, they may of toped the copies sold of catalyst im not sure, but that wasn't the point. It was a terrible game... Catalyst however didn't get that sort of negative attention in big waves, if anything, it got less negative points. There's always hope, they've announced a watch dogs 2, if they can do it, so can catalyst. I will never lose hope for this franchise. It has potential, and I think Dice and EA know that...

That was beautiful. Well said.
  • Bird_Of_Faith
    161 posts
    edited August 2016
    "Anyone else wanna scream doom and gloom, and make themselves look like an ****? "

It's you who "looks like an ****." If the game had sold well, and if these numbers were accurate, you'd have heard EA make mention of the quarter's only big release during recent financial conversation. They didn't, which is a 100% guarantee that the game underperformed, in spite of their supposed commentary to the contrary. Numbers talk, **** walks--always, without exception. Subjectivity means nothing; quantify or lie.

This is for everyone, don't doubt the game, no one should ever doubt dice, or Ea, because no one knows what the **** they're actually deciding for the future of the franchise, Ea said it met their expectations, thats good, always good to hear. Take watch dogs for example, was hyped up waayy too much, released, was terrible and so many people disliked it, they may of toped the copies sold of catalyst im not sure, but that wasn't the point. It was a terrible game... Catalyst however didn't get that sort of negative attention in big waves, if anything, it got less negative points. There's always hope, they've announced a watch dogs 2, if they can do it, so can catalyst. I will never lose hope for this franchise. It has potential, and I think Dice and EA know that...

That was beautiful. Well said.

lmao thanks, i'm just sick and tired of people doubting it, this is just the start, who cares if we get another game or not, what matters is that we got a game now, and for what mirrors edge is, catalyst is a god **** good game, with its faults or not. EA is not disappointed in catalyst, neither is Dice, so the chances of a sequel to catalyst are actually bigger then people think, this game's potential is way up there and is probably being savored for the future. like i said, never, and i mean NEVER lose HOPE!!!! doesn't matter if it takes another few years for a new game, just acknowledge that every time something like this happens, it means Dice is trying, and trying is better then nothing... Good on you Dice, Good on Sara for bringing mirrors edge back!!!!
  • MECTester wrote: »
    "Anyone else wanna scream doom and gloom, and make themselves look like a fool? "

EA is on record as saying the game met their expectations. That means the game didn't under perform. If they didn't make mention of it in a financial conversation, it's because they didn't expect it to be selling like a Battlefield game or Star Wars Battlefront.
  • Otchum
    39 posts
    edited August 2016
    As for the sales: I hope these figures are true, and I hope that analyst is refering to ACTUAL SALES - and not shipments. I'm sure you know the difference.

As for the franchise: Shamefully, I kinda hoped, EA would sell the rights of ME to another company/publisher. Someone with more experience in story, campaign and lore. But that was just dreaming. Now it will remain in EA/DICE's hands - IF it is that sucessful.

As for multiplayer: I don't mind multiplayer, even lots of it, as long as you keep it like state and church: Keep them seperated! There are some exceptions where multiplayer elements fit well into the single-player world (like the Dark Souls games, where you can invade other player's worlds). But ME is not one of these exceptions. So give us all multiplayer features you want, dear devs, just don't force that on the single-players.
    Post edited by Otchum on
  • Otchum wrote: »
    As for multiplayer: I don't mind multiplayer, even lots of it, as long as you keep it like state and church: Keep them seperated! There are some exceptions where multiplayer elements fit well into the single-player world (like the Dark Souls games, where you can invade other player's worlds). But ME is not one of these exceptions. So give us all multiplayer features you want, dear devs, just don't force that on the single-players.
    Yes, yes, yes ! ! !
    And Yes !
  • MECTester wrote: »
    Incidentally, could you please post a link to the source you quoted?
    Paid content.
    EA is on record as saying the game met their expectations. That means the game didn't under perform. If they didn't make mention of it in a financial conversation, it's because they didn't expect it to be selling like a Battlefield game or Star Wars Battlefront.
    Basically, this. I doubt you'll see sales data for anything under the EA Originals label, either, unless they're truly spectacular vs expectations. It's just not the focus - goodwill, innervation, and originality is.