/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
A Major Problem With Wallrunning. — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

A Major Problem With Wallrunning.

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

A Major Problem With Wallrunning.

I'm serious--there's some texture or programming issues or something. The number of times I perform the move correctly, only to see Faith leap at the wall like an ****, is countless and staggering. Jumping towards the wall, running with the wall, the stunt is literally a 1 in 10 chance. So 9 out of 10 times I fall, and they of course all result in my death. I guess that's why Faith has that heavy sigh every time. I usually end up doing the same thing, or yelling at my TV. I've NEVER had this problem in the original, and ESPECIALLY not this game-breaking severe. I know EA and Dice aren't reading these, but there is one thing I do implore to whomever is listening: It's great that the console versions are being ignored over the PC version in terms of updates, but this needs to be addressed. ASAP.

Comments

• I'm sorry if this is a silly suggestion, but are you pointing the dot in the middle of the screen at the wall? I haven't had this problem at all and I haven't heard any other reports on it.
  • Bird_Of_Faith
    162 posts
    edited August 2016
    I've never had a problem like this with wall running, i mean sure I've failed a few times but no where near as that i find it a major problem. Maybe there is something wrong with your controller or keyboard? Unresponsive?
  • I'm sorry if this is a silly suggestion, but are you pointing the dot in the middle of the screen at the wall? I haven't had this problem at all and I haven't heard any other reports on it.

Most of the time, yes. There are some rare exceptions(off the top of my head, the first one I can think of is The Scenic Route) where I have to look forward in order to know when/where to jump, but I'm almost always pointing at a 120-160 degree angle at the wall.
    I've never had a problem like this with wall running, i mean sure I've failed a few times but no where near as that i find it a major problem. Maybe there is something wrong with your controller or keyboard? Unresponsive?

I've tried with two controllers--one of them an Elite Pro--and they both seem to yield the same result.
    I mean, this wallrunning glitch can happen anywhere, but I'll list off the heaviest offenders:
    • The curved wall at the entrance to the Rezoning District--that is a ZERO percent success rate. It's literally gotten to the point where I have to jump down to the pad and run around the gate and use my Magrope.
    • The first two wallruns in the Scenic Route--that's about a 10-15% success rate, happens far too often.
    • The transitional walls in and out of the Zephyr Transit Hub--luckily, that's around a 40-50% success rate, and most times I don't die from it.

There are others, but I'd need to look at the map.
  • I've tried with two controllers--one of them an Elite Pro--and they both seem to yield the same result.
    I mean, this wallrunning glitch can happen anywhere, but I'll list off the heaviest offenders:
    • The curved wall at the entrance to the Rezoning District--that is a ZERO percent success rate. It's literally gotten to the point where I have to jump down to the pad and run around the gate and use my Magrope.
    • The first two wallruns in the Scenic Route--that's about a 10-15% success rate, happens far too often.
    • The transitional walls in and out of the Zephyr Transit Hub--luckily, that's around a 40-50% success rate, and most times I don't die from it.

There are others, but I'd need to look at the map.

Honestly i did never have such problems, but now I want to try the wallrun points you listed, I'm very curious.
    If I understand correctly, your problem is after you jump WHILE wallrunning, right? You can't jump off the wall and fall down, is this correct?

I remember having a similar (but not so severe) problem with the first Mirror's Edge: it took me a while to get used to the amount of wall i could get off my view, to get the "measure" of the jump and not fall off every single time.
    As it is, i'd say maybe it's just that you jump off the wall too late, but now I want to try those jumps for myself.
    If you have a screenshot of a particular wall, to be sure we're talking about the same things :smile:
  • I've noticed that if I let go the forward button Faith seems to stop doing whatever action she's currently doing, do you by any chance stop pushing on the forward button when you run on the wall?
  • filipomel wrote: »
    I've noticed that if I let go the forward button Faith seems to stop doing whatever action she's currently doing, do you by any chance stop pushing on the forward button when you run on the wall?

True.
    Also, if you look at the map when doing any action (running, jumping, sliding), as soon as you go back to the game, Faith loses almost all her momentum.
  • The problem isn't jumping off the wall, it's jumping towards it. I haven't played recently, but one of my recorded videos has one such instance featured. It doesn't kill me in this particular situation, but it's an indication of what happens in many other places:
    http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Morpheus414/video/20577285#t=65
  • That should not happen. I recently went back to the original Mirror's Edge, and I was struggling with wallrunning because in Catalyst doing it is a lot easier, as in it registers better. I had the problem you have, but in the original game.
    Try pushing the thumbstick diagonally to the direction of the wall. If the wall is to the left, push it at 10 o' clock. You get it.
  • The problem isn't jumping off the wall, it's jumping towards it. I haven't played recently, but one of my recorded videos has one such instance featured. It doesn't kill me in this particular situation, but it's an indication of what happens in many other places:
    http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Morpheus414/video/20577285#t=65

Whoops! Sorry, I got it backwards.
    I've seen your video and i understand your problem. I noticed that, around 0:11, you perform a (cool) double wallrun with no problem. The problem is at 1:07, when you jump towards the wall but the wallrun isn't triggered.
    I thiiiink the problem could be that you start too parallel to the wall: when you perform the double wallrun, you approach the wall at an angle, and the wallrun is triggered perfectly. At 1:07, instead, you are too close to it sideways, you're running almost in the same direction of the wall, and as you jump you do not "attach" to it at all, and fall off.
    Maybe I remember having a similar problem with the first game, and the fix was the same (jump at an angle).

Could be worth checking if this fixes your other problems too.