/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Mirror's Edge 3 - Ideas & Improvements - Page 2 — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

Mirror's Edge 3 - Ideas & Improvements - Page 2

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Mirror's Edge 3 - Ideas & Improvements

2Next

Comments

• Veldrin
    12 posts
    edited May 21
    Never change a working formular. They should have listened to that. Original Mirror’s Edge was perfect.

ME3 needs to…

– remove the open world. go back to the mission design of ME1
    – remove rpg elements, grabbling hook, special moves. go back to the basic moves from ME1
    – remove foot step decals
    – remove help systems or make them fully deactivatable
    – remove forced fights. decrease the number of fights
    – add those puzzle levels we loved in ME1

And personally Faith’ Face looked far more unique in Mirror’s Edge 1 in comparison to ME Catalyst.
    Let us decide to choose her look either "original/classic" (ME1 style faith) or wax figur/generic european (MEC stlye faith)
  • sonicnerd14
    124 posts
    edited May 31
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Never change a working formular. They should have listened to that. Original Mirror’s Edge was perfect.

ME3 needs to…

– remove rpg elements, grabbling hook, special moves. go back to the basic moves from ME1

And personally Faith’ Face looked far more unique in Mirror’s Edge 1 in comparison to ME Catalyst.
    Let us decide to choose her look either "original/classic" (ME1 style faith) or wax figur/generic european (MEC stlye faith)

I agree on one point you made, that the formula shouldn't have been changed, but I disagree on pretty much all the other points you made except for the last. The problem isn't that they added those extra additions, but it was how they were used, and the implementation was a bit lacking to say the least. Elements like the grappling hook, and other movement mechanics were great expansions on things that I could see being in the first game, but I think the way the game world was used wasn't to its full potential. You first open up the world map, and you see huge area's you can explore, and then you realize....... oh wait.... only like 15% percent of this map is actually explorable, and the rest is just there to look pretty for the actual playable area inside of it. The thing that made ME1 great was its almost timeless art style which still kind holds up even today, and the way the game enforced the idea of exploring your environment in different creative ways. Because while some of those things were there in theory you have situations like feeling completely linear in its missions design considering that its an open world game, and that completely wasted the whole open world concept.

DICE missed a perfect opportunity to add a narrative spin on exploring the game environment, similar to what was in the first game. It added a certain mystique to ME1, which just isn't there in MEC, and because after all this isn't necessarily a "parkour simulator". Also, another thing we are missing is just a more interesting antagonist. There are just almost no stakes in this game it feels like, and to many throw away goons . By the time the stakes got high the game ended, just like the first game, and that is what made ME1 fall short a bit, and even though this game is slightly longer it still suffered the same fate. Make us feel like we really have to run away or fight for a good reason, the first game almost had that right, but there was no incentive to fight, and in MEC the NPC's sometimes just made it to easy. There needs to just be a balance, or a feeling of a struggle more often. Bottomline is this though, we don't want more flat character, short stories with no complexity in its narrative, or lacking game design in a package that should be improving on those things. If they really are working on a DLC, then they should have no trouble with expanding on this idea, but this is something that should have be done from the start to be honest. What ever happens I just hope DICE gets wise, and takes these concepts to actually improve upon the game, and give us the ME we truly deserve.
    Post edited by sonicnerd14 on
  • agreed. the story needs to be fleshed out more so as the characters. catalyst got great ideas and a lot of them worked but then you have ideas that havent worked or are poorly executed. like certain moves had to be unlocked or NPCs were just standing around doing nothing really.
  • We would all love another mirrors edge game, but our chances are slim.
    Mirrors edge just doesn't have the support needed for another game, and EA is more focused on their bigger selling games
  • link39 wrote: »
    We would all love another mirrors edge game, but our chances are slim.
    Mirrors edge just doesn't have the support needed for another game, and EA is more focused on their bigger selling games

I think there might be a good chance. It was reported that sales of MEC met EA's targets, and the ending clearly hints at a sequel. Hopefully if EA have a good enough idea up their sleeve for a third game, and fans give enough support, we might see them focusing on ME3 after they're done with their bigger selling games.
    Survival is overrated. You need to live a little too.
  • Veldrin
    12 posts
    edited June 16
    ME1 focused on gameplay and especially pacing and trial and error.
    MEC focused on marketing. They see open world is the big ****, so they implemented open world.
    It destroys the pacing? Who cares! People want open world.

They see skill trees, upgrades, assassins creed ropes are the big ****, so they implemented this.

It makes pacing difficult, broken the gameplay? Who cares! People wanted this s***

Really. If you want an RPG PLAY AN RPG. For me MEC is generic. and if they do the same mistakes they did with MEC again for an probably coming ME3 i won't buy it.

Also the hipster stuff was annoying. I don't mind ALL THIS STUFF they did. But WHY on an existing IP. Why they did not created a NEW GAME. maybe call it parcour hiptster open world party.

But they lost the soul. They ignored their first game. It's like they were disappointed about their first game so they did everything other way around in MEC. But ME1 was a masterpiece. And actually they should know that.

I'm sad, that people seem to like MEC more than the original ME, since for me it is totally other way around. And only money counts. So a next Mirror's Edge probably will be again open world and full of special moves and skill tree stuff and hipster characters. This makes me sad. Since i wanted so badly a second Mirror's Edge with the same feel of the original. But i think that will never come true.
  • Veldrin wrote: »
    ME1 focused on gameplay and especially pacing and trial and error.
    MEC focused on marketing. They see open world is the big ****, so they implemented open world.
    It destroys the pacing? Who cares! People want open world.

They see skill trees, upgrades, assassins creed ropes are the big ****, so they implemented this.

It makes pacing difficult, broken the gameplay? Who cares! People wanted this s***

Really. If you want an RPG PLAY AN RPG. For me MEC is generic. and if they do the same mistakes they did with MEC again for an probably coming ME3 i won't buy it.

Also the hipster stuff was annoying. I don't mind ALL THIS STUFF they did. But WHY on an existing IP. Why they did not created a NEW GAME. maybe call it parcour hiptster open world party.

But they lost the soul. They ignored their first game. It's like they were disappointed about their first game so they did everything other way around in MEC. But ME1 was a masterpiece. And actually they should know that.

I'm sad, that people seem to like MEC more than the original ME, since for me it is totally other way around. And only money counts. So a next Mirror's Edge probably will be again open world and full of special moves and skill tree stuff and hipster characters. This makes me sad. Since i wanted so badly a second Mirror's Edge with the same feel of the original. But i think that will never come true.

I'm curious about what you mean by hipster characters? Do you mean the other runners?
  • Bird_Of_Faith
    161 posts
    edited July 23
    Veldrin wrote: »

ME3 needs to…

These are indeed things that made the first game work, but I disagree, me3 needs to keep the open world, the open world to me was particularly unique and fantastic because it was a new take on game design, they certainly could make it more alive and somewhat larger, but i think going back tolinear would not work at all... i think the element of new moves needs to stay, otherwise it would just get boring, a game has got to have content, not saying Mec doesn't, but if mec does the open world right the next time, i feel there is no way im leaving it...
  • my whishilist for ME3 is the same I had for MEC:

LINEAR challenging parkour game with better controls than ME1, fun extra modes, kicka$$ soundrack, decent cutscenes and a good story.
    Basically a more responsive ME1 with good cutscenes.
    as for the combat, I'm ok with ME1 even though the one in MEC was good but the magic shield was ridiculous.

and yes, I think people had issues with the combat in ME1 cause they weren't good or didn't want to git gud at it.
  • I Read some comments here and I thought I drop my ideas here.

So just played through Catalyst and I finished the first ME two times in the past, and I disagree to remove the open world aspect of the game. Yes, it's a trend now to make many games open world, but this parkour running game is made for that. While I am not a parkour guy, I totally can imagine that they roam the cities to find challenges and for this game that makes more sense then doing it level based.

Overall game is an improvement to the old one. Graphic is gorgeous and I had to use only medium quality. Loved the atmosphere. Combat is good, leveling was weird first, but the moves you had back in the old game, you can get it back pretty fast. As someone else said the open world aspect based on the big map is illusive. I hoped more space to run around and find stuff, but I understand that it's a lot of work. Also sadly there are places where you can only get once through the story and then never again.

A co-op/multiplayer type gameplay would be interesting. It's a bold idea, but what if in the next game you would be a custom runner, not Faith, with some character customization. Then in the story you co-op with Faith, helping each other getting through places where two people are needed. You would play the story not through Faith's eyes but as her nearest runner buddy. This mechanic would lay down the base for the multiplayer co-op plays while it won't make a cut that suddenly you are not Faith, or now everyone runs as Faith in multiplayer. And if you want it to do solo, you could call Faith as co-op AI buddy.
    Other version I could see is if in the next game, if Cat joins her, the co-op play could be that, one player is Faith, other is Cat.
    For co-op mechanic I can think of two idea right now. One is that to get to a higher place, using him/her hands/back as a step to get higher, then pulling him/her up to you. Using hands to fling your partner to a place.
    But I am sure real parkour running peeps could give a lot more ideas for that.

Another thing is that the side mission types are lackluster. It's always running against time(except the tower mode), when the whole runner thing in the world is about dodging visibility, to carry sensitive, light package without corporations noticing it through guards/cameras/drones.
    So there should be mission types where you have to find new routes to avoid detection, a more stealthy approach.

Also while the webpage/app player tag modify is something else, you shouldn't force people to use that when you could do it right in the game. The whole thing felt forced and an unnecessary resource wasting.

I hope there will be a next ME as I think it's one of DICE/EA's more prettier game jewels.
  • Bird_Of_Faith
    161 posts
    edited July 23
    killchan wrote: »
    my whishilist for ME3 is the same I had for MEC:

LINEAR challenging parkour game with better controls than ME1, fun extra modes, kicka$$ soundrack, decent cutscenes and a good story.
    Basically a more responsive ME1 with good cutscenes.
    as for the combat, I'm ok with ME1 even though the one in MEC was good but the magic shield was ridiculous.

and yes, I think people had issues with the combat in ME1 cause they weren't good or didn't want to git gud at it.

Well, the combat in the first game wasn't actually great at all, it was super clunky and slow and no real variety, and I've played a lot of the first game and the combat never really got better at all... but thats just my opinion... but still...
  • That's not your opinion, it's fact that the combat was objectively way more clunky in ME1
  • Sikboy1029 wrote: »
    That's not your opinion, it's fact that the combat was objectively way more clunky in ME1

Yeah, I agree. The combat in MEC is more smooth and fluid, and it requires less effort, somehow feeling more natural.
    That's not your opinion, it's fact that the combat was objectively way more clunky in ME1

Yeah, I agree. The combat in MEC is more smooth and fluid, and it requires less effort, somehow feeling more natural.

At first I thought it was a button mash fest. Until I've discovered that if you mix up different actions, you'll get different combos. And that was very nice.
    I am Iman.
  • I guess we'll have to move our discussions over to reddit seeing as how EA is closing these forums, disappointing.
    I guess we'll have to move our discussions over to reddit seeing as how EA is closing these forums, disappointing.

Have you got a link to the reddit thread?
    I want to tell myself I cant believe EA is shutting down this forum, but i can, its become SUPER inactive, im sure that many people played the game once then forgot about it, and really, most of the community just died out really...
  • Are they really going to shut down these forums? There's an entire treasure trove's worth of customer feedback they could use for the franchise- it would be such a waste.
  • Are they really going to shut down these forums? There's an entire treasure trove's worth of customer feedback they could use for the franchise- it would be such a waste.

I assume they have already taken in as much feed back as they can from the forum, i just think it might be too expensive for them to run considering theres only a small amount of people who check the forum anyway...