/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
PC - Random low FPS/stuttering while playing — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

PC - Random low FPS/stuttering while playing

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

PC - Random low FPS/stuttering while playing

The issue I'm having is that while playing, the performance is really random and I experience FPS drops and "stuttering" while playing the game. If I turn on perfoverlay.drawFPS I can see the drastic drops. It's funny because I can even stand perfectly still in game, and I see it going strong at 70-90 FPS, and then suddenly see it down at 20-30 FPS, then back up, then down, etc. And it's worse while moving around. It makes the game almost unplayable.

I have an i5 CPU, 8GB memory, nVidia GTX 970, and I'm running Win7. Origin & Mirror's Edge Catalyst are both installed on my Samsung 850 EVO. I'm running the game in 1080 on my 120hz monitor in "Hyper" settings.

I've tried a lot of different things I've seen on other sites/posts, including dropping many of the in game graphic settings down all the way to "low" one by one to see if anything makes a major difference. That's especially annoying for all the settings that require a restart, thanks Frostbite. (Not sure how systematic I've been with dabbling with the settings but I think I've hit most of them.) I've tried increasing my page file on my C: drive to 5gb+. I've tried setting the priority of the game .exe in Task Manager to "High". I've made sure my nVidia Power Management Mode is set to "Prefer Maximum Performance". I've updated my nVidia drivers to the latest 375.70.

Nothing I've tried has fixed the issue.

It's so frustrating to run the new DooM at maximum quality (which, artistic style preferences aside, is graphically much more impressive than this) and be blazing above 120 FPS, and then deal with this **** from Mirror's Edge Catalyst. Can I return it if I purchased the game from BestBuy.com?

Comments

• no, you cannot request a refund for any pc game when purchased from a store.
    i have read a bunch of issues here and every time a nvidia card was involved. i just think these gtx cards have issues with the engine.
    what i also can think of that maybe your cpu gets too hot. i had it with black flag as well, that i had constant frame drops, regardless if my specs were above the recommended requirements. turned out that my cpu wasnt cooling the cpu enough, so i got a better one and it worked. maybe this may help you too.
    i personally had no issues what so ever with the game and i have an amd card.
  • nightcabbage
    3 posts
    edited November 2016
    My CPU temp is fine. I've had my computer off for a while, started it up and went straight into the game, and it still exhibits the framerate issues right away before it's had a change to climb in temp at all.

nVidia cards huh? Considering they have the biggest market share, you'd think EA would be paying more attention to issues like these.
  • true, because the first game i cant play whit physcX because its only functional for nvidia cards. so all the breaking glass, banner, etc are missing for me because amd cards cant support it. even today with my pretty powerful rig. but catalyst, no problems at all. so i assume it has something to do with the gtx cards. sorry i cant be of any help.
    just curious, is your cpu fan a standard one? because with black flag it also told me its fine but the game still ran like ****.
    i personally use this cpu cooler and it works great. http://deepcool.com/product/cpucooler/2013-12/7_481.shtml
  • nightcabbage
    3 posts
    edited November 2016
    The cooling solution is a secondary point only applicable if I'm having core temp issues. My CPU is not overheating. Thanks for the advice though.
  • Still having the issue. I've tried everything. THIS GAME IS THE WORST OPTIMIZED I'VE SEEN IN YEARS!
  • Have you tried doing a complete uninstall of your drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller? (http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html)

I've seen others with your problem and they fixed it by using that tool to completely clean out their drivers and install the latest version again.
  • I had a random FPS drop once (as low as 10 fps for about a second), but it hasn't reoccurred. I've noticed game UI messages about "network issues" (gesundheit) and I wonder if that could be related. I don't know how a network connection is relevant to a game like this, but those messages can't mean nothing. Just a thought.