/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Mirror's Edge Spin-Off Idea: Good or Nah? — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

Mirror's Edge Spin-Off Idea: Good or Nah?

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Mirror's Edge Spin-Off Idea: Good or Nah?

I was thinking of a Mirror's Edge spin-off game that is largely like Catalyst in the sense of doing side missions and normal runner work like fragile deliveries but without a story. You would be a new and in-training runner who does runner things. The game would also have other runners but unlike Catalyst they actually do stuff, and they could be either NPCs or other players.

The game would tell the story of a new Runner who must be trained by Noah and do normal runner things, but there could be some other elements to spice the game up rather than being kinda bland. Catalyst did a good job with this but I feel like a pure Runner RPG/MMO/Simulation (whatever you'd call this) would be pretty fun. And Multiplayer could be a good thing for this game if you wanted to connect with other runners. There's two different possibilities of who the main character is. Either it could be about Icarus joining Noah's cabal, which would possibly allow a small story mode instead of having none, or you would be a new runner of your creation using a character creator coming in after Faith is arrested but before Icarus comes in.

The idea of it being a spin-off rather than a main series game is because 1) You don't play as Faith (I feel like an official ME game would require Faith to be the main character) 2) It would not be about fighting the tryanny (Kruger-Sec in Catalyst's world) which seems to be a common theme in both ME games and 3) The genre and gameplay style could be vastly different than the first two with the addition of multiplayer and other elements I've talked about.

I think this could be a fun game, and it would seem to cater well to the Mirror's Edge fans that would like to see some of these elements in a ME game like character creation (I know you exist, I've seen your comments in the Mirror's Edge 3 threads) and multiplayer. What do y'all think of this idea? Yay or nay?

Comments

• I actually really like this idea. I've always wanted to play as a runner of my own creation, and get to customise their appearance and name etc, like in Skyrim or Dragon Age. And carving out your own story while exploring Glass and doing missions sounds fun too. It would definitely give a chance for the developers to expand Glass and its citizens, allow you to go to ground level frequently, include many sub-stories and make NPCs able to interact with you. It would also be cool to meet other 'runners' from around the world, so competition on leaderboards and in races would be much more direct and engaging. It wouldn't be as big of a project as a game of the main franchise so it's definitely worth as a spin-off.
    Survival is overrated. You need to live a little too.