/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Come back! — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums
Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Come back!

I have a couple of ideas for content that might be added to the game or upcoming additions to the franchise.

1) Access to pre alphas and demos. Many people may be curious what the game was like in its infancy, such as myself and want to see all the different animations there were until they were threw in the scrap pile. It also interesting to see how the city changed and what happened.
2) A new district or extensions to old districts. As I have been running around glass(for 200 hours might I add) it has occurred that I know all of the routes, back alleys etc. So it would be nice if you added a new district which is a good size or extend some of the old ones, such as Downtown or Anchor. it gets a bit stale constantly running the same routes over and over again.
3) Story missions that occur inside the open world. Mark Brown did a great video in his game makers toolkit series(You can check it out here:) where he explains the advantages of an open world. He mentions that, in most missions, the area is sectioned off and you can't access it in free roam. This kinda defeats the point of a open world because the benefit of an open world is that you have created this beautiful world, but it is only used to practice parkour and to find hidden collectibles. I understand that some missions do force you to understand the world, but these are side missions, and are not utilized correctly such as the Beatrix Bloch mission, which has you running around planting bugs for something I don't remember. Which leads me onto...
4) The plot. The plot was downright terrible. So, instead of the plot focusing around Faith and being all serious, make it fun and interesting, such as Watchdogs 2, which benefited the franchise a lot. Another example could be Sunset Overdrive, though that was very much cartoony, which is not how mirrors edge should be set. I would highly recommend asking "IndustrialGamer" for ideas on a story as he seems to know how the story of mirrors edge should be. ( Channel link:https://www.youtube.com/user/IndustrialGamer?&ab_channel=IndustrialGamer)
And Finally
5) Make the game fun and awesome! Not very specific I know but the game lacks something. A certain charm that the first game gave to me and many others a lot of fun. It might have been the new introduction to the franchise, it might have been the interesting art style. It might have been the parkour. Heck for some people it might have been the combat(Which might I add, you improved a lot!). but after running through the game for 200 hours straight the game lacks life and depth. The freerunning is easy when it should be sort of challenging and the city is...kinda boring.

So I hope you took anything away from this. No one will probably read it but, I guess you could say I have Faith in the developers. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Great post! I wish we got some news from the devs about the games, an update would be amazing right now. I'm sure they'll do something eventually, but for now it seems like they're still focused on Battlefield 1. I want more Mirror's Edge! :tired_face:
  • ImUrFriend
    167 posts
    edited January 3
    Excellent content here mate. That Burnout Paradise related thing is absolutely true. The most important thing about this game is not just the story or its plot. But the core essence of the game itself which is being able to freely running around and NOT getting bored. Challenging other runners on the rooftops is excellent.. The NPCs in this game is far too darn boring to interact with and has no purpose but just asking you to deliver nonsense things to the recepient. Free roaming games has to be lively and interactive. Collecting relax boxes for me HAS GOT TO GO. It makes no purpose but just dropping Runner's kit. It's cool, but seriously tedious.

Catalyst is one of the only Free roaming-First Person, Free running, Action Adventure game in the Video Game industry (Apart from Dying Light obviously, but ME is not a survival game). And Free Roaming games, need to be more fun in it.

Oh speaking about free roaming.. Did you guys remember Need For Speed Underground 2? Can you remember what feature did it had? Yep you guessed it. You can check it out. :) Makes me wonder why on earth did DICE totally forgot about this.
    Post edited by ImUrFriend on
    I am Iman.
  • ImUrFriend wrote: »
    Oh speaking about free roaming.. Did you guys remember Need For Speed Underground 2? Can you remember what feature did it had? Yep you guessed it. You can check it out. :) Makes me wonder why on earth did DICE totally forgot about this.
    I am guessing "multi-player"? Or simply the absence of cars that the players can drive?
  • ImUrFriend wrote: »
    I am guessing "multi-player"? Or simply the absence of cars that the players can drive?
    Err kinda true. But close... What I actually meant is the absence of impromptu racing with other NPC racers. You can't challenge another runner to a Dash in Catalyst just like Faith did with Celeste in the Comic book.
    I am Iman.
  • B4BFN00b wrote: »
    I have a couple of ideas for content that might be added to the game or upcoming additions to the franchise.

1) Access to pre alphas and demos. Many people may be curious what the game was like in its infancy, such as myself and want to see all the different animations there were until they were threw in the scrap pile. It also interesting to see how the city changed and what happened.

Yes! This is something I would absolutely love, too!
  • testarff wrote: »
    B4BFN00b wrote: »

Yes! This is something I would absolutely love, too!
    I second this. Some of the cutscenes that didn't make it to the final game looked really interesting.
    On the topic of the open world, it was definitely more fleshed out than ME so they delivered on that front. I do agree that they could do more with the next game in the franchise, so fingers crossed.
    Survival is overrated. You need to live a little too.
  • MichaelT wrote: »
    Great post! I wish we got some news from the devs about the games, an update would be amazing right now. I'm sure they'll do something eventually, but for now it seems like they're still focused on Battlefield 1. I want more Mirror's Edge! :tired_face:
    THIS,,,