/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
REMAKE OF LAST GAME??? — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums
Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

REMAKE OF LAST GAME???

My theory is that this game is not a sequel but a remake because of the fact that you encounter Cat (Faiths sister)
in the first game and in the second Cat is Isabel Kruger in the second! see what I mean? (Also the city is way different!)

Comments

• please think about it
  • Bird_Of_Faith
    161 posts
    edited June 21
    Dice specifically stated that Mec isn't really a remake or even a sequel, its more of a rebirth they said of the franchise, so thats why Cat is different along with the city, they basically started from square one again, just keeping the mirrors edge feel and foundation...
  • Honestly, if EA made it possible with their games people could just mod ME1 into MEC, but DRM protection and all prevents modding.
  • Honestly, if EA made it possible with their games people could just mod ME1 into MEC, but DRM protection and all prevents modding.

Sonicnerd14, I believe that it would be a long time to get mods made for this game, if the DICE/EA or the Devs were to do so. That being said, I believe with the current DRM protection in place it's that the developers and publishers don't intend to do so for that wouldn't be part of their interests for the game.

I also believe that the game is the way it is because it has already been made and that it has a complete story.

I should say that we should respect the decision that EA/DICE and the Devs made already.

Besides that I liked the game the way it is....

The presentation and the gameplay were great and so was the story. Mainly, the thing that tipped me off was the User generated content and the open world. The fact that you as the player could create time trials and beat l.e's was great. We as players could challenge ourselves or other people to beat our time trials, which may help build a better community.

Having seeing everything and playing the game from beginning to end, there might be a third mirrors edge game in the works. However, I am not sure about the details, which I don't want to spoil for anyone.

That being said If they do make a third mirrors edge game, I fully intend to support the development team and the publishers to keep going. They have done a good job so far.

Secretwarf02

Sonicnerd14, I believe that it would be a long time to get mods made for this game, if the DICE/EA or the Devs were to do so. That being said, I believe with the current DRM protection in place it's that the developers and publishers don't intend to do so for that wouldn't be part of their interests for the game.

I also believe that the game is the way it is because it has already been made and that it has a complete story.

I should say that we should respect the decision that EA/DICE and the Devs made already.

The presentation and the gameplay were great and so was the story. Mainly, the thing that tipped me off was the User generated content and the open world. The fact that you as the player could create time trials and beat l.e's was great. We as players could challenge ourselves or other people to beat our time trials, which may help build a better community.

Having seeing everything and playing the game from beginning to end, there might be a third mirrors edge game in the works. However, I am not sure about the details, which I don't want to spoil for anyone.

That being said If they do make a third mirrors edge game, I fully intend to support the development team and the publishers to keep going. They have done a good job so far.

Secretwarf02

What do you mean you're not sure about the details?? Just asking Hahahaha, but i agree with what yoy said!!

Secretwarf02

Mirror's Edge was supposed to be a fun game. It is indeed a good one. The new Mirror's Edge team did a job well done even tho most of them were not involved in making the first one. (This is why I think Catalyst is not acceptable by some old school players.). But anyways, your short review of this game was one the most honest one I've seen.
    ^_^
    I am Iman.

Secretwarf02

I agree with you to an extent, but I really think that creating such a closed environment for a game like this is detrimental towards its longevity. I've enjoyed playing through ME:C the several times I have so far, and I plan to keep playing through it almost as much as I did the first, but I can't help but feel its missing something. Its got this open world with so much potential , I can run around in it, create numerous amount of challenges for myself and other players like you said... and yet it still feels like its missing something. At its core its missing some of the fundamental aspects that made the first game great. While the addition of the new social features and gameplay were awesome inclusions they got things wrong that could easily have been fixed with updates or patches. You know, the simple support features that most other games these days have, but yet it appears to DICE and EA that Mirror's Edge is too different. I have to say its true, but not true, and here's why.

You see, I think if the developers fail to want to give a game continued support after its launch that it should be up to players on how they can keep the games they love to play a float for years. If there is one thing that ME:C got right was that it improved and expanded on things that didn't allow the first game to reach its full potential. Actually, in some aspects, the first game should have been what this game is, but never quite turned out that way for one reason or another(Don't think we need to get into that back story). So when you think about this, and you see the things that make this game not so great in comparison to ME1. Now, you think.... well this is easy. All DICE has to do is support this game with great updates, more expansions to gameplay, and possibly more story content and then this game could be everything we wanted! Right? So you wait for over a year to go by, and nothing... not even a word. This makes me think, does EA even love this franchise, or DICE for that matter, which I'm sure they do because we wouldn't have this game if they didn't. However, from my perspective and probably others too it might not seem that way at first.

This all makes me think back to a good comparison I made before about a game that was in an all too similar situation, and a game with a similar concept, while technically a very different theme, this game is Dying Light. Seeing that Dying Light came out in early 2015, albeit to rather mixed, but mostly positive reviews. You would think, HEY, game did commercially well... that's god enough - devs forget support - and devs just move on to the next cash grab, right? No actually, a year later they came out with a pretty hefty story expansion. Which as a matter of fact improved a lot more than the games original **** ending that really seemed like a cash grab at a sequel, but the games graphics, gameplay, and structure as well. The funny thing is is that this game is still being supported with updates, and when I start looking back at ME:C the ultimatum is clear. Dying Light is the epitome of everything ME:C should be now, minus the zombies of course. Because if Deep Silver can do that DICE and EA can do it to, and the fanbase would reward them all the more for it.

Finally, this brings me back to the whole idea of making this game moddable. If DICE and EA doesn't feel like they should have to support something they've worked on for so long now, something has standard at this point like support with future DLC's, something fans have been asking so much since this game launched , then just let us dedicated fans do it for you! Another good example of this is Sonic Generation. It was pretty much revitalized on PC for a while when fans released a mod that brought over all of the day time stages from Sonic Unleashed (A game that wasn't even on PC to begin with), and in all of the glory of the improved engine and PC perks making it worth checking out this game again. Just think if this happened to Mirrors Edge, it would be almost like a revelation for us hardcore fans. A sort of revitalization of, what you could sort of consider, two dead games all over again. It doesn't even have to be content from an old game brought back to life on new technology. Just think about the opportunities of "Real Multiplayer", new gameplay experiences in general, new additions to level environments that weave everything together, and yet so much potential essentially wasted at this point.

I'll simply conclude with this. If DICE really are planning some kind of DLC this late like has been rumored for several months now, then I'd say its better late than never. Perhaps the DLC unexpectedly is being turned into an entirely new game that they just haven't told use about yet, who knows, even better. I just feel like them not keeping us in the loop in this point after the games release is kind of worrying. This is real similar to what happened with the first actually. Are we getting another sequel, are we getting DLC, is that TV show even still happening, is the franchise being rebooted again?! These are all things we should know sooner than 5 years later like with the first game, and if we can't get mods or DLC we at least deserve that.