/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Anyone else turn Runner Vision to classic? (Beta) — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

Anyone else turn Runner Vision to classic? (Beta)

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Anyone else turn Runner Vision to classic? (Beta)

I'm loving the Beta so far, but one thing I really dont like is the "advanced" runner vision. It basically hand holds you through every small step. I had to turn it back to classic, which just highlights the objects on your path. What do you guys think of it? (or does it get less "hand-holdy" after a few missions?)

Comments

• I don't like it; I think it's for first time players. Anyone who played the last game will turn it back to classic. Classic is where it's at :) Besides, your can still send out the red pulse without switching to advanced mode (press right stick on XB1).
  • I played a lot of original Mirror's Edge, both with runner vision and without. Game is small so I didn't need those red objects to know where to run.
    I have a different approach in Catalyst. Game is big and open. I used advanced runner vision more times than I'd liked to admit, honestly. I just felt lost. It's not a bad thing, it's good, because finally we have this amazing city to explore. Although I lowered vision down to just highlighted object yesterday. It's not so bad. Sometimes highlighted objects are buggy and don't show up, which is a pain.
    "The Flow is what keeps us running... keeps us alive."
  • I turned it off I want to be free to explore and find my own way.
  • I have it on classic however for delivery for example you need the way shown for you. Basically you don't need any runner vision because you recognize the objects soon enough (always the same ramps, wallrides over a gap and so on) but I think this red highlighting belongs to the game and therefore I have it on.
  • I have the classic turned on, i don't like all the other guidelines that comes right up into your face, and when the game releases i might even turn it completely off.
  • I also switched to classic. I found the red guidelines were actually distracting. I find it way more rewarding to feel like I was discovering the route on my own. Even if it took more tries. The one main problem I had is the way points weren't visible, so without runner vision on I lost track of even which direction to go. Particularly on delivery missions. I need an arrow or something which always orients to the waypoint so I can always at least be heading towards it and not just burning time reorienting myself.
  • Yeah i switched to classic immediately, the city is designed really well and I've never gotten lost, i'll probably turn the whole thing off to be honest when playing the retail release, Faith don't need no beat-link!
    We call ourselves Runners. We exist on the edge between the gloss and the reality: the Mirror's Edge.
  • Immediately.
  • I used to play with Runner Vision on in the first game purely because I thought that the red accents looked great, now I found myself doing the exact opposite.
    I first switched it to Classic expecting a similar effect being reproduced and when I got the red digital effect instead, I simply turned it off.
  • FaithConnors
    133 posts
    edited April 2016
    I have it on Classic at the moment. I may turn it off later. I can always spam Alt if I need a red trail ;p btw...don't get lost...
    "Yeah yeah I'm sure the birds are real impressed Faith, but once you're done showing off think you might concentrate on some actual work?!!" - Merc
  • I have it on Classic currently, but playing without it is really fun.
  • I like the new runner vision, if you don't like it, just turn it to classic. :hushed:
  • brinstar
    18 posts
    edited April 2016
    I prefer the new one to the Classic edition, and I played the heck out of the first game.
  • As echoed above, I prefer the Classic runner vision to the new one. Most of the time I don't use it at all; I really only ever use it for finding the delivery drop points or billboards- which aren't particularly helpful, anyway...
    Red 1 - Still can't into Handy Shortcut - How to proper wall jump?
  • I prefer it at classic or off. Full is too cluttered on the screen for my liking but I am happy that the option is there in case first time players want it.
  • 1st thing i did when booting up the game for the first time, going to options and turning that trash completetly off, yet still game tries to hold my hand...
  • Being fairly new to the franchise, I enjoy using advanced runner vision to get back into the "flow" of free running. I notice after playing for a few hours that the advice of the freerunning tech became less and less intrusive as I caught a natural flow. It's really got my mind racing seeing the ideas behind the technology that EA and DICE are using in this gameplay.
  • I'll be interested in seeing how the other ones look. For example, one of the preorder runner visions is one where a yellow blur shows you the fastest ways to get from point A to point B. I think the unlockable ones are good for training but I think I'll be turning it off once I get my "sea legs".
  • My guess would be that owners of "Mirror's Edge", myself included, like this set to classic or off. But EA and Dice are smart to have this advanced option so the newer players don't get frustrated.