/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
So, half of the map is in the beta?! - Page 3 — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

So, half of the map is in the beta?! - Page 3

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

So, half of the map is in the beta?!

13Next

Comments

• And I have a theory that all the rest of the city will be DLC content.

Just kidding, I'm still having high hopes and trying to get some answers.
  • DVDSpike wrote: »
    yXdu7G1.jpg

Here's the full city. The red section is the city area we get in the beta.
    Didn't one of the devs say you can "explore the whole city"? That implies that we'll be able to explore ALL of that which would be MIND BLOWING, and would make this game guaranteed GOTY. I'll try to keep my expectations in check, since it really doesn't seem possible for a map to be that big with as much detail as they're putting into it. However if DICE really wanted to surprise everyone and make something truly remarkable this would be a great way to do it, and this game has been in development a long time. If somehow we can explore this much, ALL open world games made after this will seriously have to step up their game.

• If you preordered the game on Origin you can check out the achievements already. According to the achievements there are only 4 main areas with side missions, Downtown, Anchor, Development Zone, and The View. Now this doesn't mention story missions, because those could be in select spots in the city.
  • Hey guys!
    There are still a few freerunning districts not yet revealed on that map, plus some missions that go outside the districts, but the entire map is not all available to explore freely

hope this helps! :smile:
    Level Artist - Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst
    I fight for the users!
  • zandolas
    10 posts
    edited May 2016
    We will have to reserve judgment until we play the whole map!
    Post edited by zandolas on
  • Thanks @LinneaHarrison , it's good to know what to expect!

It might be a good idea if the twitter account was more explicit about it. Some of those tweets have made it sound a bit like the whole 3D modelled area on the online map will be free-runnable, which could lead to some disappointment...
  • Otchum
    39 posts
    edited May 2016
    Dear Linnea,

First of all, thank you for the info.

Second, we know the The View is still to be revelead. But you wrote "a few" freerunning districts are not yet revealed, not "one"...I wonder how much of the map is actually explorable. 40%? 50%? 60%? More? Less?

And third: I would be lying to you if I said that your news would make me happy. Actually, I'm quite disappointed.

Just like mr_anslates post before mine wrote: Some dev's statements were indeed misleading!

But even without that, I think that whole map in itself was misleading. That whole thing is surrounded by water, so it actually would have made sense if the water was the natural border, don't you think?

Then, think about that:

When the map for The Witcher 3 was revealed, it was certain that the whole map was also explorable, wasn't it?
    When the map for Fallout 4 was revealed, it was also certain that the whole map was also explorable, wasn't it?
    Same for GTA, Skyrim, Watch Dogs etc. When a new open world game comes out, it is actually guaranteed that the whole of the revealed map is also fully playable. Name me one open-world-game that had it otherwise!

EDIT:
    Since this is an EA-published game, those missing districts could be added as costly DLCs, couldn't they? Hey, it's EA, they have a reputation to protect!
  • They've never said mirrors edge is open world, It's always been described as free roaming.
    They've never confirmed the map size, maybe aside from a few vague replies on twitter which were i fact actually addressing the marked sections of the map.
    would you presume the whole map is open world when they haven't commented on it at all?
    Doesn't seem at all misleading to me..
  • Otchum
    39 posts
    edited May 2016
    They've never confirmed the map size, maybe aside from a few vague replies on twitter which were i fact actually addressing the marked sections of the map.

Just "marked sections"?

https://twitter.com/mirrorsedge/status/733353840393641984

We are aware of the definition of the words "Whole" and "City", aren't we?
    Not so sure if these guys running the offical ME twitter account are...

• Otchum wrote: »

Just "marked sections"?

https://twitter.com/mirrorsedge/status/733353840393641984

We are aware of the definition of the words "Whole" and "City", aren't we?
    Not so sure if these guys running the offical ME twitter account are...

true, I must have missed that tweet tbh...
    Although It does mention showing only the anchor district, the wording is misleading.
  • Hey guys!
    There are still a few freerunning districts not yet revealed on that map, plus some missions that go outside the districts, but the entire map is not all available to explore freely

hope this helps! :smile:

So how much will be explorable?
    "I'm gonna' run."
  • So, as most of you have probably seen, i have made a few discussions about the map, i guess you could say to much. But i am happy to say that the map that is currently marked with names, are not the only districts to explore, there will be a few more districts, stated by a Dev. the whole 3D model is not explorable, but it was stated by the Dev that there is still a few more districts that haven't been announced and shown in the map, apparently, and that some missions will be out side the explorable areas, which is what some of you predicted. i know everyone wanted the whole 3D model to be explorable, but in a way i am happy that it isn't. because otherwise the map could of been overkill in size and to be honest, it is not easy making an open world, especially a city that consists of running on rooftops, it would of been awesome if it was actually that big, but like i said it wouldn't be easy. I know some of you will be disappointed about the map, but in all seriousness, you shouldn't be, because the map is still going to big, huge either way, and fun to run around in, i guarantee you at least you will get lost once or twice, probably more times... I reckon i will!!

Don't be disappointed, don't be sad, don't be angry, i'm not insinuating that you all will be like this, of course not. But i am grateful for Dice's team members for being honest and telling us this information. Either way the map is still going to be huge, and you will have fun!!!! i will have fun, the map will be big, just not every single part of it is explorable, i can accept that, Mirror's edge catalyst looks beautiful!!!
  • KSetay
    25 posts
    edited May 2016
    I'm not disappointed at all honestly. The only thing that I'm disappointed in is the lack of communication and clarification from the developers. There were multiple tweets and other posts that alluded to having the entire map be explorable. When they released the 3D map and said, and I quote

"The whole city will be explorable. Today we've only shown you the Anchor district, but more will follow."

It got my, and probably others, hopes up. If they had come out and said that that isn't the case, then I wouldn't care. Not that I'm disappointed in what they've created, just their way of presenting it. That's just my thoughts, tell me your guys'. I love these forums.
  • yeah i agree, they could've just communicated properly to us first up, but lets wait and see if there is more districts to be announced... i know that the View is up top, marked with "Regatta Bay" and "Ocean Pier" that's still got to get interactive information, so maybe they just haven't put the other, if there is anymore, districts in there yet, i'm fairly certain that what the Dev stated is entirely true, so hopefully we will see more districts added into the map...
  • Looks like I was right about the map. Now I am curious as to what the other "few districts" are (other than The View).
  • Teto
    137 posts
    I would have no problem to pay for DLC that allow free-roaming in areas where we can't at the release of the game... *wink* *wink*
  • On the wiki of the game, there is many infomations about the game and the background, from the official posts and also the comics Exordium.

For example, the city of Glass :

http://mirrorsedge.wikia.com/wiki/City_of_Glass

The districts listed here : Anchor / Anthom / Downtown / Crystal Garden / Greyland / Ocean Glass / Rezoning-Development zone.

The districts in bold are the districts appearing on the map now. So we can expect to see the other ones maybe !

• Benlo wrote: »
    On the wiki of the game, there is many infomations about the game and the background, from the official posts and also the comics Exordium.

For example, the city of Glass :

http://mirrorsedge.wikia.com/wiki/City_of_Glass

The districts listed here : Anchor / Anthom / Downtown / Crystal Garden / Greyland / Ocean Glass / Rezoning-Development zone.

The districts in bold are the districts appearing on the map now. So we can expect to see the other ones maybe !

Couldn't find the source to Anthom, but Crystal Garden is mentioned on one of the pages on the MEC website. Ocean Glass is The View which is on the Regatta Bay area. Greylands might be a mission only area.
  • Everyone is saying a bunch of stuff, and I'm not saying it's wrong, it's just that the map in the photo doesn't look even close to the current site map or the beta game map.
  • It might just be me, but I think the online map has been subtly updated. Now when I try to fly away from the central districts I reach a point where trying to move forward makes me slowly turn around (usually towards the shard). Is this happening for anyone else?

The areas I can easily explore now are the Development Zone, Downtown, Anchor, the ocean area that will surely be The View, and little bit of the shoreline opposite the View.

Note that it is still possible to get the camera to all areas of the map that were previously accessible, you just have to move backwards ;)
  • mr_anslate wrote: »
    It might just be me, but I think the online map has been subtly updated. Now when I try to fly away from the central districts I reach a point where trying to move forward makes me slowly turn around (usually towards the shard). Is this happening for anyone else?

The areas I can easily explore now are the Development Zone, Downtown, Anchor, the ocean area that will surely be The View, and little bit of the shoreline opposite the View.

Note that it is still possible to get the camera to all areas of the map that were previously accessible, you just have to move backwards ;)

There is an area north of Anchor and next to Development Zone that isn't marked and doesn't turn you around. But yes if you go too far it turns you around.
  • Otchum
    39 posts
    edited June 2016
    Yeah, I've noticed it too: The map has been updated and the camera roaming area has been reduced. That gives me some new hope because those two large skyscraper-districts right next to downtown and next to anchor can still be viewed before the camera comes to a halt.

Besides, I think the map looks better now with the water coloured like real water and slightly darker tone. Not so blinding like the previous version.
  • I can assure you that there'll be plenty for you Runner's to explore in the city of Glass.
    Mirror's Edge Catalyst Community Manager
  • Otchum
    39 posts
    edited June 2016
    Just confirmed via twitter: The game will have 6 "major areas"! ;)

https://twitter.com/mirrorsedge/status/738097824236244994

Now I keep my fingers crossed that the underground is not a "major area"...