/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
I know this is early but...DLC — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums
Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

I know this is early but...DLC

Prev1
This game would do great with some Pure time trials style DLC. Especially if social play is integrated into it providing people with a way to create their own dashes. And hey, since it was meant to be designed as Faith dreaming, you could even put the entrance to this area in the top bunk (that I'm sure everyone knows about) in the hub.

Comments

• Yes please, I miss those maps.
  • Lobby rooms for city exploration/running would be cool - just so you can see your friends and go running places together. No need for co-op story etc just showing your friends' position in the game :)
    "Yeah yeah I'm sure the birds are real impressed Faith, but once you're done showing off think you might concentrate on some actual work?!!" - Merc
  • If there's going to be Mirror's Edge Catalyst DLCs (most likely there will be), then it will be a pretty long time before I get my hands on the game as I would be waiting for Mirror's Edge Catalyst "Complete" Edition that consists of the game with all DLCs included.
  • Also, if you plan on including micro purchases, please include a pack (even if it is the same cost) of all or groups of the micro purchases, it's a bit insane with some games including 100's of micro purchases for simple things such as skins (COD anyone). I see a lot of probability that M.P.s could happen with runner kits and progression shortcuts, although these may bring in more money, in some cases it ruins the game. As a weak example, Evolve costs store price for an incomplete game, (ME:C is not an incomplete game) and had many M.P.s for characters, monsters, skins, weapons, etc. and it lost a lot of potential sales because of it. Another reason I say this, is that I'm a huge fan of ME and I really don't want to have to click thousands of times to buy all the DLC :smiley:
  • Guys seriously? We've just played the Closed Beta and you're already asking for DLC? At least wait until the game has been out for a few months... :/
  • Blayer98 wrote: »
    Guys seriously? We've just played the Closed Beta and you're already asking for DLC? At least wait until the game has been out for a few months... :/

Yeah, this was just a thought that I had while playing the beta, DLC has been mentioned, this is a thought for how it might be implemented.
  • Did you guys like the time trial DLC for the original Mirrors Edge? Or do you think it would be better with a story/compaign DLC (like the Left Behind DLC in Last of Us)? :)
    I loved the really abstract levels from the original Mirrors Edge DLC. It was great wallpaper material!
    Level Artist - Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst
    I fight for the users!
  • I'd say both, the pure time trials was great, and if Dice has DLC for the story... take my money.
  • I loved the artistics of the original, but I also love Faith... (Yes, I know she isn't real, don't worry) so I guess I'd like some story with it. But it could be something like Faith racing someone through some kind of competition through a series of maps, or something, with cutscenes if you win or not.
  • Yeah, bringing back the abstract levels into Catalyst would be amazing.
  • I think it would be a good idea to do abstract levels, but also campaign levels would be even more awesome. Maybe even making new areas on the map.
  • roadie
    2 posts
    edited May 2016
    I think DLC should be adding new explorable areas on the map. A DLC for some more explorable underground/ground level areas would be awesome (Like the subway from the original ME)
  • i hope there is no DLC. i dont need to waste my money for underground area. The game is the full game you can explore!
    aulodp866cd.png
    I am the combat master :V
  • Did you guys like the time trial DLC for the original Mirrors Edge? Or do you think it would be better with a story/compaign DLC (like the Left Behind DLC in Last of Us)? :)
    I loved the really abstract levels from the original Mirrors Edge DLC. It was great wallpaper material!

I personally believe in DLC. I loved the Mirror's Edge Pure Time Trials DLC and I'd happily play a similar concept on this one as well. What I think would be interesting, then, is if you make that DLC open-world as well. Say, put them together in a hub of sorts with the same kind of starting markers you have for the Dashes in the main game.

One last thing, it would be awesome if that DLC world would be accessible only from the top of The Shard when you access it the first time, so you get a bit of a warm-up before getting there ;)
  • I wouldn't say put all of the DLC at the top of the Shard, but instead make the DLC accessible where it makes sense. If all of the DLC is extra map areas, perhaps make a smaller transit hub with doors that lead to different DLC maps. If it takes her to a dream world (e.g. Pure Time Trials), put it in a sleeping area.

I hate comparing one game to other games but in the sense of DLC, Fallout 4 and the Witcher series by integrating DLC into the existing game so you don't have to switch modes to play the DLC. You just run to the area where it exists or makes sense to warp to where it exists. Other games like Dying Light, had a bad implementation where you have the Campaign and if you want to play The Following you have to play a completely different map that does not allow you to go back to the original story area. Don't get me wrong, the devs did great on Dying Light and even though the campaign maps were connected by loading screens and sewers, it was still good to know that each area could be played without having to go through a menu.

As a free running game, I believe that a user should be able to run from one side of the map to another side (DLC included) keeping the flow the entire way.
  • Duma
    2 posts
    edited May 2016
    This is a poor idea.
  • Teto
    137 posts
    edited May 2016
    I didn't like the original DLC, to be fair. For me it was something done quickly, in order to have just "the gameplay" to offer to gamers, skilled gamers for the most part, the others didn't like the look (I talk about guys I knew who played the first game).

BUT, I think it's not a bad idea, and could be fun if the runs are challenges that can be done in a "simulator" like Animus, and used by Faith for training. Like the combat simulator in the beginning of the game.

BUT, I'd prefer a lot missions or challenges inside buildings that we can't "visit" at the release of the game. I'm pretty sure that it's not possible to extend the city for performance reasons, but having fun inside buildings, for missions or just challenges would be much appreciated imho.

@Duma : You don't the idea, me neither. But think about this : DLCs mean people for them, mean a team on the game for many months, mean a game that is not abandoned by DICE after 2 or 3 patches... And I want a game that lives a long time, like The Witcher III.
  • I think a DLC introducing more areas would be quite cool. Personally, the Shard being accessible would be such an awesome feature.
  • Teto
    137 posts
    I think a DLC introducing more areas would be quite cool. Personally, the Shard being accessible would be such an awesome feature.

I think that the Shard is the last mission.

If anything I would love to get DLC that covered more back story of characters in the game. I'm not sure how much back story we're going to get now but to see why everyone became a runner would be something fun to explore!

While I do enjoy time trials occasionally I'm not sure if it's something I would pay for DLC wise.
  • I hope the game does well and they want to give us some dlc along with new features for free. MP races, time trials or just coop free roaming would be cool to add. It seems like it would be too much work to implement considering you can already see a friends footprints in game. Personally with my 30 hours in the beta its already my GOTY and I know I'll want more after I finish everything and play a ton of time trials.

That would be awesome with both!!!!
  • Teto
    137 posts
    Did you guys like the time trial DLC for the original Mirrors Edge? Or do you think it would be better with a story/compaign DLC (like the Left Behind DLC in Last of Us)? :)
    I quoted you, so maybe Dice will read that.

Reviews of the game in my country are a disaster. And I don't talk about youtubers (don't count) but journalists and pro sites. The story is a cliché, NPCs are bad, open-world is a joke, the rope kills the gameplay, and movements available via XP tree are just a shame. Me ? I don't care. I have what I wanted and for me it's a wonderful game far better and more beautiful than the first one. But I think that the game won't have many attention, and everybody already wait to play it at 5 bucks.

The problem here is that reviewers wanted a good action adventure game with parkour, and Dice gave us a parkour simulator with some elements of an adventure game.

Anyway. I think that one thing that could help the game to not die quickly would be DLC(s) with all map for free running. And buildings (inside and outside) for platforms, puzzles, challenges, secrets, missions, ...

I would pay for that. But does EA wants ? 'Hope so.

I would be more interested in a story based DLC. It would be interesting to explore a new area that has a different aesthetic. Maybe use an area on the outskirts of Glass or another city in Cascadia? It would be interesting to explore somewhere like Hale city; a harsher more brutalist exterior. Or, even the city of Val could be an interesting contrast to Glass.
    There is some really interesting areas/history described in the intel section of the site, it would be great to explore some of those elements.
  • Otchum
    39 posts
    edited June 2016
    I absolutely want story DLCs, no doubt! The 3D map of glass itself leaves plenty of undiscovered areas and districts to allow for that. After all, some lore and story is something Catalyst doesn't have enough imo. (But that's just me, for me, the story/main campaign can never be long enough)

Of course, the DLC area should be accessible via free roaming, not via menu click. That supports the immersion. Take the Dark Souls DLCs as an inspiration: You don't access the new areas by simply clicking on "start DLC" in the main menu, but instead you have to look for the access to the new areas yourself, in the game world itself.
  • Short game with no dlc announced, oh DICE i hope you have some big things up your sleeve otherwise alot of those metacritic reviews will still stand to be corrected. Something decent, not the "look at me i'm a social play element" excrement you feed us with. Either go all the way with solid multiplayer or lock it to full story driven single player, just something to correct your indecisive online/offline development for catalyst.
  • Short game? The only first-person game I've played recently that was longer than Catalyst is Alien Isolation.

Please give us a story DLC. The story was a bit short in Catalyst. And I'm dyeing for more narrative!!
  • I would love some story DLC :D
  • They should give us some tools in game so we can build our own trials and whatnot. I think GTA V did something like that, shouldn't be too hard right?