/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Those who get the game early, post your review here! — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

Those who get the game early, post your review here!

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Those who get the game early, post your review here!

Prev1
Hi guys,

I would like to get some reviews on how you find the game before I buy it, if the graphics are considerably better than the BETA, if DICE has listened to our feedback and applied some changes etc etc a overall game review of the final version !

Comments

• Red
    44 posts
    I have only played a little over an hour of the trial but I can confirm the game has been immensely optimized since the beta.

I have a single GTX 670 and I can play Medium settings 60fps compared to 30fps on low setting in the beta.
  • Red wrote: »
    I have only played a little over an hour of the trial but I can confirm the game has been immensely optimized since the beta.

I have a single GTX 670 and I can play Medium settings 60fps compared to 30fps on low setting in the beta.

Great!

My main concern was with the PS2 background and mid-range graphics from the Beta, not with close range stuff, especially the runners hangout, all of those were incredibly good looking.

@Red
  • I've watched some EA Early Access gameplay, and the graphics look absolutely incredible! :love:
  • Xorbius
    9 posts
    edited June 2016
    Anybody on the pc version getting stuff like ID_SCENE_2_RELEASE_WAKE_L28 or telling you that every button action is ID_TUT_1_BUTTON? This is driving me nuts...

plsw8o8.png
  • Xorbius: not getting the issue you described. I can confirm that the game runs amazingly with everything on ultra using a Nvidia 970 video card, i7 3820 CPU and 16 gigs of ram.

I am in two minds about this game. For the sheer rarity of having a game with an interesting female lead and a pretty interesting setting, I want to love this. And I admire DICE's decision for foregoing gameplay - an action game without guns is interesting in and of itself. On the other hand, I find the controls to be quite "loose" - have fallen to my death a number of times just because the game didn't respond to my controls.

Also, this game being open-world and along with the deliberate elimination of guns could mean that tasks and combat may get a bit "rinse and repeaty". I didn't participate in the closed beta but heard about criticisms that the world is a bit dead. I think it is still the case in the full game. Two hours in, all I see so far are occasional AI characters that just stand on rooftops and you can't interact with them. Things may change later of course.

I will probably still buy this but IMO this isn't exactly perfect.

• Xorbius: not getting the issue you described. I can confirm that the game runs amazingly with everything on ultra using a Nvidia 970 video card, i7 3820 CPU and 16 gigs of ram.

I am in two minds about this game. For the sheer rarity of having a game with an interesting female lead and a pretty interesting setting, I want to love this. And I admire DICE's decision for foregoing gameplay - an action game without guns is interesting in and of itself. On the other hand, I find the controls to be quite "loose" - have fallen to my death a number of times just because the game didn't respond to my controls.

Also, this game being open-world and along with the deliberate elimination of guns could mean that tasks and combat may get a bit "rinse and repeaty". I didn't participate in the closed beta but heard about criticisms that the world is a bit dead. I think it is still the case in the full game. Two hours in, all I see so far are occasional AI characters that just stand on rooftops and you can't interact with them. Things may change later of course.

I will probably still buy this but IMO this isn't exactly perfect.

What resolution were you playing at? 1080p, 1440p, of 4k?
  • nsmckinney wrote: »

1080p. I don't have my 1440p monitor with me at the moment but it should run pretty well (maybe not 60 FPS) on a 1440p GSYNC/freesync monitor. Nothing but a 1080 card will guarantee anybody 60 FPS in 4K in all modern games.

• nsmckinney wrote: »

1080p. I don't have my 1440p monitor with me at the moment but it should run pretty well (maybe not 60 FPS) on a 1440p GSYNC/freesync monitor. Nothing but a 1080 card will guarantee anybody 60 FPS in 4K in all modern games.

I was hoping to use an overclocked GTX 970 to run the game at med- high settings. (4k)
  • At medium settings, I think you should be fine. The game doesn't look that graphically demanding to me and appears well-optimised. It's certainly no Quantum Break (I am talking about the poor optimisation and developer ineptitude there).
  • Ash
    99 posts
    edited June 2016
    I just watched some early access gameplay on Xbox one and I gotta say, I am utterly disappointed with the graphics. They look exactly the same as they looked in beta. Same ps2 background and same ps2 buildings textures. I'm guessing it won't change on ps4. Apparently Dice focused on PC first.
    Too bad, they proved they can create a beautiful game on consoles (SW Battlefront), yet they failed here?
    Gameplay:

Skip to 18:06 and 1:23:36 for a view of the background.
    I just expected more. Older games look better on consoles... Not to mention we still don't have any reflections of Faith in the Mirrors whatsoever. In 2016? I mean... come on.
    "The Flow is what keeps us running... keeps us alive."
  • Kafar
    11 posts
    edited June 2016
    The "background" surely looked ugly in beta. Quick look down the street and all you see is some sort of PSX-level blocky cars moving around with pretty much no textures around

Pretty much same for the background buildings - "blocky stuff"
  • Xorbius wrote: »
    Anybody on the pc version getting stuff like ID_SCENE_2_RELEASE_WAKE_L28 or telling you that every button action is ID_TUT_1_BUTTON? This is driving me nuts...

plsw8o8.png

I don't have that issue , but i have wait to finish the download before start playing... perhaps it is that, that cause this issue?

by the way, the game is amazing, i just got some stuttering during cinematics, in the game it's pretty smooth.

i5 4670k / GTX 970 OC / 8 giga RAM ddr3 - high settings

That will be hard to wait to release when the trial will be over :)

good job DICE
  • So after some test on the graphics options to see if i have put the settings too high.... i can say NO.

The game suffering of some kind of desync audio / video with a "crackly" strange noise.

I got the problem in all the cinematics i have saw by now.

after that, in freerun or mission, the game is smooth and i don't encounter any bugs

Someone have this problem too?

++
  • play on a:
    intel 4790 3.6 ghz
    r9 290x 4gb ram
    16 gb ram
    1920x1080 resolution.

have set everything to ultra and it looks amazing. only few parts look blurry but background and all that look pretty sharp to me. the people look better, the extreme bloom is fixed, the reflections have improved a lot. faith looks way sharper now than in the beta when she looks at her self.
    besides some minor glitching i have encountered only with icarus, it looks great.

as for the game as such, i have played for over 4 hours and i love it. controls are good with M&K, the characters are memorable, the story is compelling, lots of stuff to do and to explore with its collectables, side missions and the stuff we know already from the beta like deliveries and disabling these towers after fighting off some ksec.

some challenging parts are there too like reaching a switch without triggering the alarm. have done only 2 but the second one was already tricky and i know it will get harder.
  • Lalivero
    10 posts
    edited June 2016
    Xorbius wrote: »

plsw8o8.png
    Hey Xorbius, sorry for the inconvenience, we'll look into it! Seems like your game doesn't know which localization to use and therefore uses the default strings. Can you tell me which language settings you used? Do you remember if you did anything out of the ordinary that could tamper with your language files like switching out the language in Origin or something? (That obviously shouldn't cause these issues but any info regarding that could help us! Thanks!
    Level Designer - Mirror's Edge Catalyst
  • Puting V-sync off cause major desync audio/video during the cutscene..

Hope that will be fix before release
  • Teto
    137 posts
    edited June 2016
    Ash wrote: »
    I just watched some early access gameplay on Xbox one and I gotta say, I am utterly disappointed with the graphics. They look exactly the same as they looked in beta. Same ps2 background and same ps2 buildings textures. I'm guessing it won't change on ps4. Apparently Dice focused on PC first.

And many thanks for that Dice.
    Don't get me wrong, Ash, I do understand how it can be disappointing for you. No offense, really.
    But as a PC gamer, I can't stand anymore to play with games that are downgraded due to consoles "compatibility".
    PC is leader for development ? Thanks a lot.
    Now, Dice, please patch consoles versions for a better experience.
  • Ash wrote: »
    Too bad, they proved they can create a beautiful game on consoles (SW Battlefront), yet they failed here?
    Gameplay:

Skip to 18:06 and 1:23:36 for a view of the background.
    I just expected more. Older games look better on consoles... Not to mention we still don't have any reflections of Faith in the Mirrors whatsoever. In 2016? I mean... come on.

Playing it on PC medium most of the time, but I can run Ultra just fine. It looks way better than the beta. Everything runs better too as it's much more optimized. My only issue is a desync of audio and video during cutscenes, and my v-sync is on :/

• Ash
    99 posts
    edited June 2016
    Teto wrote: »
    Ash wrote: »

And many thanks for that Dice.
    Don't get me wrong, Ash, I do understand how it can be disappointing for you. No offense, really.
    But as a PC gamer, I can't stand anymore to play with games that are downgraded due to consoles "compatibility".
    PC is leader for development ? Thanks a lot.
    Now, Dice, please patch consoles versions for a better experience.

I'm not saying they should've downgraded graphics on PC. I understand that high end PC is so much powerful than a console. I can't afford something like that so I decided, to buy ps4.
    All I'm saying is that some textures look really poor. We have 2016 and background and buildings textures look like taken from ps2 generation.
    We have so much more better looking games than Catalyst and yet, they run on consoles as well and don't have any problems with sloppy textures.
    "The Flow is what keeps us running... keeps us alive."
  • Is it possible to remap your controls now?

The beta didn't allow key remapping, and for players like myself... it made trying to play it a real chore.
    It's actually a deal killer. If I can't remap controls, I'm not going to pick it up.
  • Is it possible to remap your controls now?

The beta didn't allow key remapping, and for players like myself... it made trying to play it a real chore.
    It's actually a deal killer. If I can't remap controls, I'm not going to pick it up.

Yeah, it's possible now
  • Is it possible to turn off HUD elements like the reticle, the enemy health bars and the Focus Shield bar?
  • Is it possible to turn off HUD elements like the reticle, the enemy health bars and the Focus Shield bar?

You can turn off all the HUD except the mission waypoints. Yes, even those annoying enemy health bars :smile:
  • Mukar wrote: »
    You can turn off all the HUD except the mission waypoints. Yes, even those annoying enemy health bars :smile:
    Thanks for the confirmation, that sounds great! It'd be sad if the HUD-less look of the original wasn't possible.
  • Xorbius
    9 posts
    edited June 2016
    Lalivero wrote: »
    Hey Xorbius, sorry for the inconvenience, we'll look into it! Seems like your game doesn't know which localization to use and therefore uses the default strings. Can you tell me which language settings you used? Do you remember if you did anything out of the ordinary that could tamper with your language files like switching out the language in Origin or something? (That obviously shouldn't cause these issues but any info regarding that could help us! Thanks!

I haven't done anything with my origin. Origin Client Language is set to English US

Edit...
    I just now tried clicking the "i" next to the play button. I went to the game properties and it said English US there but I tried changing it to France just to see what would happen. It verified files and updated. After that was done, I went in to the game. All the text was exactly the same as before the change. Still English with the weird underscore messages everywhere. I closed the game and put it back to English US. Not sure what is going on, but it just will not change to a normal game no matter what I do.
    Post edited by Xorbius on
  • Otchum
    39 posts
    edited June 2016
    Question from a non-early accesser:

Can you also turn off the social content? A lot of people rightly complained about these annoying dashes and waypoints created by other players that flooded the map.
  • Otchum wrote: »
    Question from a non-early accesser:

Can you also turn off the social content? A lot of people rightly complained about these annoying dashes and waypoints created by other players that flooded the map.

The released game is supposed to allow offline play. I can't image them showing up with you playing offline. Otherwise there is an option to only show them from your friends. If you don't have any friends that play it, or only a few, it shouldn't be too big of a deal.
  • TwinB
    8 posts
    edited June 2016
    fraka wrote: »
    Puting V-sync off cause major desync audio/video during the cutscene..

Hope that will be fix before release

Yup the cutscenes are unwatchable on my PC. I really hope DICE's fixes this asap.
  • Xorbius
    9 posts
    edited June 2016
    I downloaded a fresh version of Origin and reinstalled it over my Origin and now my game is working normal, with no more weird text.
  • I'm playing the trial on Xbox. Runs great, much smoother than beta and I am loving the extra missions not included in the beta. Feels like the game really gets into its stride as you get further in - same goes for combat. Hoping my 6 hours of gameplay time in the trial doesn't end too soon! Will feel like a long wait until next week and the full release.