/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Can my PC run it? — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums
Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Can my PC run it?

Trad
2 posts
edited June 2016
Okay, dumb question. But I did try the beta and good god, it lagged and it crashed and I despaired as I tried to slough through the map. ("IT'S SO PRETTY" I screamed as I did my best.) I suppose there's been some optimization since?

Because honestly my computer's ... just about below the level of minimum requirements (I think? tech stuff isn't my forte), and I guess if I sacrifice quality for performance (i.e. low settings) it'd run somewhat smoothly? (dxdiag here)

Sorry if this question was dumb - I just really want to play this game.
Post edited by Trad on

Comments

• how can we help you if you don't post your computer specs?

already with them, it's hard to say, so without them, its nearly impossible..

But if you are under the minimum specs, don't expect the game run nicely at the minimum, but perhaps, with some tweaking, you will.. who know

bye, good luck
  • Trad
    2 posts
    edited June 2016
    @fraka
    Hey, thanks for chipping in. I did post my dxdiag in my first post, but since it seems that you just skimmed through it, I'll post it here again.

(dxdiag / specs)
  • ok sorry, my bad^^^ don't see it :)

i have looked in speed at them, i think yes you surely will run it, but you will have to lowering all the settings, and the problem is you get only 4g of RAM instead of 6g for the minimum, hope the game will not block you by not reaching the minimum requirement...

and this nobody knows.

++
  • You can play at something like 30FPS or something at low or medium at 1366x768, or even better framerate.
    My question is, do you have 4gb or 8GB?
    If you have 4GB of ram, forget it, it might stutter much more than you want and you should consider to upgrade (it's cheap)
  • Hi @Trad - have you checked out this post? http://www.mirrorsedge.com/news/pc-system-requirements
    Mirror's Edge Catalyst Community Manager

• fraka wrote: »
    ok sorry, my bad^^^ don't see it :)

i have looked in speed at them, i think yes you surely will run it, but you will have to lowering all the settings, and the problem is you get only 4g of RAM instead of 6g for the minimum, hope the game will not block you by not reaching the minimum requirement...

and this nobody knows.

++

I believe you can run, cause i have a laptop with a GT 740M, which is more weaker, and the only problem that i had with the beta, was the streaming assets being very slow, which i think that in the final version is fixed, and as well as the fact that your GPU might have better way to manage the memory so things get better.

Here's a proof:
  • You can play at something like 30FPS or something at low or medium at 1366x768, or even better framerate.
    My question is, do you have 4gb or 8GB?
    If you have 4GB of ram, forget it, it might stutter much more than you want and you should consider to upgrade (it's cheap)

Ah, 4GB. It seems likely that I might have to upgrade, then :neutral:

@Vincent0K Yes, I did. I tend to treat requirements as guidelines, really, because I occasionally get games that I can actually play smoothly despite lacking some of the requirements. Granted, I had to sacrifice quite a bit of quality in favor for performance.

Hm, I'll check that video out later. Maybe there's hope after all! :smiley:
  • forget it. you need a proper gaming rig to play this game at a good setting. just alone 4gb will do nothing for you. the game will stutter a lot, even when you switch everything to low. sorry but your specs will not run the game as you wish it to be. better save your self the trouble and play it on a console if you have one, or buy your self a good rig.
    your laptop is juts like mine, just good for surfing and older games. but running demanding software, not working.
  • Also, just throwing out there...

You can build a computer that's significantly more powerful than consoles at the same price point. (~$400-450.)

Depending on your current computer, you might be able to upgrade the power supply, ram, and add a graphics card for even less.
  • qreeves
    17 posts
    edited June 2016
    These settings (in "Documents\Mirror's Edge Catalyst\Settings\PROF_SAVE_profile") and a fixed-size 12GB page file will help (I've found that having less than this results in out-of-memory crashes). It doesn't look as good and stutters a bit when transitioning between areas (due to paging), but is playable (with the exception of cutscenes - which is a known issue scheduled to be fixed). I'd really suggest that you try the demo to see if the trade-off is acceptable.
    GstRender.AmbientOcclusion 0
    GstRender.AnisotropicFilter 0
    GstRender.AntiAliasingDeferred 0
    GstRender.AntiAliasingPost 0
    GstRender.EffectsQuality 0
    GstRender.LightingQuality 0
    GstRender.MeshQuality 0
    GstRender.MotionBlur 0
    GstRender.PostProcessQuality 0
    GstRender.ResolutionHeight 720
    GstRender.ResolutionWidth 1280
    GstRender.ShaderQuality 0
    GstRender.ShadowQuality 0
    GstRender.TerrainQuality 0
    GstRender.TextureQuality 0
    GstRender.ThreadMaxProcessorCount 4
    GstRender.TransparentShadows 0
    GstRender.UndergrowthQuality 0
    GstRender.VSyncEnabled 0

For reference, I have a Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.5GHz, 1GB GTX 650, 4GB RAM, Windows 10. Unfortunately the motherboard is so old it only supports 4GB of RAM max.

EDIT: I created a thread for a more thorough version of this: https://forums.mirrorsedge.com/discussion/1976/a-very-low-setting-for-pc-users
    Post edited by qreeves on
    Lead Developer for the free casual arena shooter featuring parkour, Red Eclipse.
  • I too am trying to decide if my laptop will be able to run it. However, I have the luxury of the fact that I have not bought my laptop yet so if necessary I can get a better model. I don't really want something specifically for gaming but I'm not sure if I will be able to run MEC. Specs down below:

http://qrq.itcs.hp.com/m/N9E13UANA/qr.do?cc=us&ll=en&jumpid=QR_PPS_N9E13UANA_Na
    Short version: Windows 10 Home 64
    8GB RAM
    AMD Quad-Core A-Series CPU
    Radeon R6 Graphics (up to 4.25 GB)
  • Just posting this as a general shoot-out to help anyone out there
    Here's my desktop specs:

AMD A10 7870k (GPU overclocked to 975 MHz)
    16GB RAM @ 2133 MHz
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit

With this hardware and the lowest settings possible on 1920 x 1080 resolution, I'm hovering right around 30 FPS without using an actual graphics card.
    This can be built for under $700 if you're interested in a new rig.
    Hope this helps
  • majic911
    4 posts
    edited June 2016
    Does anyone happen to know if MEC will run on i5-6300 HQ? I feel like it should but I just want to make sure. It has a GeForce GTX 960M GPU.
    Post edited by majic911 on
  • Dolnor
    19 posts
    edited June 2016
    Warning: If you have a low end system that runs the game on the LOW settings, don't attempt to change ANY graphical settings. If you raise even one to a medium setting, it will cause your system to hang and then crash when you SAVE it. When you restart the game, it hangs at screen load and then crashes...forever.
    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
      Application Name:	MirrorsEdgeCatalyst.exe
      Application Version:	1.0.3.46793
      Application Timestamp:	574f176a
      Fault Module Name:	MirrorsEdgeCatalyst.exe
      Fault Module Version:	1.0.3.46793
      Fault Module Timestamp:	574f176a
      Exception Code:	c0000005
      Exception Offset:	00000000035e5798
      OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
      Locale ID:	1033
      Additional Information 1:	4b16
      Additional Information 2:	4b161bd7e89b0dd146065a859318c749
      Additional Information 3:	7d20
      Additional Information 4:	7d20f9fa9e74a1446e337d22c446ccf8

To reset the settings back, delete the two files on your computer in:
    \My Documents\Mirror's Edge Catalyst\settings\
    PROF_SAVE
    PROF_SAVE_profile

This will give you a Sync error when you launch the game from Origin. Just click OK button.
    You'll be given an option to download your profile from the Cloud or from your local files. Choose the Cloud since that is where the server stored it.

This will cause the server to re-download your profiles to your computer, check to see at which level your video card can handle the graphics, set those settings, and you'll be able to play the game again after it loads.

TQQdles™
    Post edited by Dolnor on
    Member, The Older Gamers (TOG)