/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
MEC Review Scores — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums
Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

MEC Review Scores

Prev1
Here's an article with updating review scores. Seems to be a mixed bag.

https://www.vg247.com/2016/06/06/mirrors-edge-catalyst-reviews-round-up-all-the-scores/

The campaign looks to be only about 8-10 hours unfortunately. Regardless still excited to play!

Comments

• Mukar
    40 posts
    edited June 2016
    Don't trust the IGN score. That guy gave Alien: Isolation a 5.9... Alien: Isolation was an amazing horror game. I am surprised about Game Informer's low score though. In the end it's about where I expected. Mirror's Edge has never been and likely never will be the big franchise EA and DICE want it to be. It will always be a cult favorite. After all, those of us who truly like it tend to love it. As for myself I'm wavering between an 8 and a 9 depending on how the story plays out, because to me that's the only area it falls flat.
  • Mukar wrote: »
    Don't trust the IGN score. That guy gave Alien: Isolation a 5.9... Alien: Isolation was an amazing horror game. I am surprised about Game Informer's low score though. In the end it's about where I expected. Mirror's Edge has never been and likely never will be the big franchise EA and DICE want it to be. It will always be a cult favorite. After all, those of us who truly like it tend to love it. As for myself I'm wavering between an 8 and a 9 depending on how the story plays out, because to me that's the only area it falls flat.

I agree. Was a major fan of the first one and I'm sure this one will be no different for me.
  • Teto
    137 posts
    Metacritics about the game are average. about 60/100. It's not that bad, but it's not good.
    The problem here are not the scores, it's the general marketing which is just... nowhere. In my country, I tried to "hype" everyone on a forum, a big one. The answer for most of the guys was "no one talks about it, I didn't ever know that it's out tomorrow, So I don't want to play this game, I don't think it'll be fun".
    No marketing to say that running for 10 hours can be cools, races can be fun end so on. A disaster.
  • Well, the whole "marketing" was mostly directed to the people that awaited the game

But globally-wise - yeah, there was pretty much none. But on the other hand I doubt anyone would play it only cus he saw a promos - after all its rather specific game, probably not for everyone
  • Teto
    137 posts
    Don't underestimate the power of marketing.
    Look at Bioshock Infinite for example. There was a good marketing campaign and the game sold well, until people discovered that the game was not that good.
    Look at the star Wars Battlefront. Good campaign with the help of the new movie and freaking good gameplay trailers. The game did a ton of money and no one plays the game today, except on consoles, a little.
    And so on.
    Marketing should make people want to run during 10 hours, with giving the wonderful sensation of the run, and gamers would buy it, I'm sure of that. But they did nothing, showing only some story that we all know that's it's not the core of the game. The story of the first one was just a way to play in many environments. Story is not the most important thing in the game.
    It's sad. MEC could have been a good surprise like Doom and it will nothing but a game players buy on sales at 5 bucks.
  • Teto wrote: »
    Look at Bioshock Infinite for example. There was a good marketing campaign and the game sold well, until people discovered that the game was not that good.
    Look at the star Wars Battlefront. Good campaign with the help of the new movie and freaking good gameplay trailers. The game did a ton of money and no one plays the game today, except on consoles, a little.
    And so on.
    Marketing should make people want to run during 10 hours, with giving the wonderful sensation of the run, and gamers would buy it, I'm sure of that. But they did nothing, showing only some story that we all know that's it's not the core of the game. The story of the first one was just a way to play in many environments. Story is not the most important thing in the game.
    It's sad. MEC could have been a good surprise like Doom and it will nothing but a game players buy on sales at 5 bucks.

I strongly disagree with you on Bioshock Infinite, game was pretty freaking amazing.

It's true though marketing means a lot.
  • Teto
    137 posts
    Hey, I didn't say that it was bad, I loved it. But it had flaws (trashcan simulator :D ) and the fight/guns were sloppy. But it's not the subject.
  • Ok what the heck is going on. Sites opened up to users and the scores are at like, 1.3. What the heck?? The reviews attached, if any are just rambling seas of baseless hate without much "why." They don't even make sense. The whole situation doesn't make sense. I'm confused and angry right now because this is going to not only damage public perception of the game, but the sales and potential for more in the franchise as well.
  • So far id give the game 4/5 myself.
  • Otchum
    39 posts
    edited June 2016
    About these metacritic user reviews: I've scrolled through some of them and noticed that the lines are copied! Like this:

his game is a perfect example of how to f*** up an awesome concept. This sequel is worse than its predecessor in almost every way. Thanks EA, great job as usual.

That line is exactly the same in some of these reviews. Should tell you something about the seriousness of these reviewers. So I wonder: Is this a common behavior on metacritic or does someone (or some people) hold a specific grudge against the game?
    One reason there could be is the false rumour that Anita Sarkeesian would have worked on the game (again, not true!), and some still believe it. Not fair.
  • Seems like some group of haters just stormed Metacritic and gave it 0s.
  • Seems like some group of haters just stormed Metacritic and gave it 0s.

Happens on a lot games, kinda pathetic TBH.
  • Cole wrote: »
    Seems like some group of haters just stormed Metacritic and gave it 0s.

Happens on a lot games, kinda pathetic TBH.

Yea. Some people just want to see the world burn I guess. They might be giving the game 0s, but I am enjoying the game.
  • I just think these review sites are playing the wrong game, or they're playing it wrong.
  • Wow... from the IGN review:

Fun fact: you won’t see a single smile in this entire eight to 10-hour story campaign (more if you fill it out with sidequests)

Well here's another fun fact: faith smiles when she see's Noah for the first time and Noah laughs after he wins the game against Icarus. Birdman smiles a couple of times.

Mirror’s Edge Catalyst is sullen at best or angry at worst, and without a shred of humor...

Fun fact: they make jokes in it right after she gets out of juvie, and birdman makes a few jokes himself.

It gives Catalyst a bland look rather than the boldness brought by the primary colors of the original...

I feel as though this was written before the author made it to Anchor.

Catalyst feels barren of memorable spots like the first game’s crane or construction yard...

Because the Elysium building doesn't stick in your mind, nor does the Anansi building.

Beyond those, we’re expected to track down the inevitable truckload of collectibles stashed around the city, but that concept is a complete mismatch for a game built on constant movement and momentum. Most of these items are hidden in such a way that you’re forced to stop in your tracks...

Well they wouldn't be well hidden would they.

The author states he played the original game, but I don't remember but a handful of bags that didn't require me to stop and look for them. I'm sorry but if I had been in jail for while I wouldn't exactly be super happy either, I'd be a pretty cautious person around others like Faith is.
  • Idk about u guys but Im tired of people everywhere complaining about the combat system I mean, what's wrong with it? It's not bad you just have to learn how to play it... I made this montage and I'm sharing it everywhere for those who talk **** about the game. Mirror's edge is awesome and not deserves a 6/10. Plz share!

• Mukar
    40 posts
    edited June 2016
    Mildocjr wrote: »
    Wow... from the IGN review:

Fun fact: you won’t see a single smile in this entire eight to 10-hour story campaign (more if you fill it out with sidequests)

Well here's another fun fact: faith smiles when she see's Noah for the first time and Noah laughs after he wins the game against Icarus. Birdman smiles a couple of times.

Mirror’s Edge Catalyst is sullen at best or angry at worst, and without a shred of humor...

Fun fact: they make jokes in it right after she gets out of juvie, and birdman makes a few jokes himself.

It gives Catalyst a bland look rather than the boldness brought by the primary colors of the original...

Catalyst feels barren of memorable spots like the first game’s crane or construction yard...

Because the Elysium building doesn't stick in your mind, nor does the Anansi building.

Beyond those, we’re expected to track down the inevitable truckload of collectibles stashed around the city, but that concept is a complete mismatch for a game built on constant movement and momentum. Most of these items are hidden in such a way that you’re forced to stop in your tracks...

The author states he played the original game, but I don't remember but a handful of bags that didn't require me to stop and look for them. I'm sorry but if I had been in jail for while I wouldn't exactly be super happy either, I'd be a pretty cautious person around others like Faith is.

Again, that IGN review is a joke. There's something fishy about these review in general. Because they try really hard to find bad. Even those who praise it the entire time give it low scores. I also think metacritic.com needs to link to people's accounts to ensure they at least have the game before they can review it. It would stop the storm of malice.
    Post edited by Mukar on
  • Mukar, I'm not disagreeing with you on this, I'm just pointing out obvious things that if you had actually played the game you would have called out immediately. Same team! Same team! lol
  • Mildocjr wrote: »
    Wow... from the IGN review:

Yeah the IGN review is a joke.
  • Long time fan of Mirror's Edge here. Really loved the first one, and played it many times. As a graphic artist, the design and music is something that really sticks with me. There has been no game out there that looks quite like Mirror's Edge, and I love the cyberpunk feel of it all. When I wasn't running, I'd explore the environments and soak in the world. It's something I have loved about this game, and look forward to loving with Catalyst.

Haven't played the new one yet, but on my way to pick it up after work. Have been looking forward to this game for a long while now, and am really excited to try it. The screen shots and videos I've seen look amazing, and I can't way to see the glass city and many different locations within.

I agree, the reviews are all across the board - sometimes even inconsistent. At first I was annoyed and discouraged by this, but I think a lot of reviewers just don't get Mirror's Edge. Even the so-called fans who professionally review games for a living. And the user reviews are usually pathetic and harshly critical. That's just the era we live in I guess. We're all different, and sometimes a reviewer can attempt to shoe-horn everyone into their own notions of what something should or shouldn't be. Will have to post again my thoughts when I've had a chance to play the game for an extended period.
  • Mildocjr wrote: »
    Mukar, I'm not disagreeing with you on this, I'm just pointing out obvious things that if you had actually played the game you would have called out immediately. Same team! Same team! lol

I know, I was just reaffirming that the IGN review is a joke.
  • A lot of the accounts that gave catalyst awful reviews either signed up to give it a bad review or historically trash games. Why am I not surprised xD
  • epicFUZZ
    52 posts
    edited June 2016
    Cole wrote: »
    Teto wrote: »
    And so on.

I strongly disagree with you on Bioshock Infinite, game was pretty freaking amazing.

BioShock Infinite was rubbish
  • epicFUZZ wrote: »
    Cole wrote: »
    Teto wrote: »
    And so on.

BioShock Infinite was rubbish

I played that game in one sitting I was totally immersed.
  • When I beta tested MEC it was a fraction of what it was at release. It didn't even have fully functioning day/night cycles. Id have to say f you liked the first one but wanted a more flexible action : this is the game for you. If you want to get immersed in a futuristic world-this is it. There is replay value in this. My score 9/10. It can earn a 10/10 but a few bugs need to still be fixed. We had worries about the game-play getting old since there were no K-SEC patrols in the beta. On the terms of campaign I think 6-8 hrs is a reasonable length. <Please note I haven't completed it yet>
  • When I beta tested MEC it was a fraction of what it was at release. It didn't even have fully functioning day/night cycles. Id have to say f you liked the first one but wanted a more flexible action : this is the game for you. If you want to get immersed in a futuristic world-this is it. There is replay value in this. My score 9/10. It can earn a 10/10 but a few bugs need to still be fixed. We had worries about the game-play getting old since there were no K-SEC patrols in the beta. On the terms of campaign I think 6-8 hrs is a reasonable length. <Please note I haven't completed it yet>

Finished the story last night. It wasn't bad, but it was so cliche and predictable I figured out the twist and ending when the "Why we run" trailer came out a few weeks ago. The story was much longer than the first game and despite its being cliché, was much better than the first one.

Overall my rating still lingers between 8 and 9 because I'm really not sure xD
  • I haven't finished the game yet, but I'd give it a 8 or 9 as well, I just did the first mission in the View for reference, but no spoilers. I'll tell you when I picked up where the play first trial left off, I felt like ME:C finally kicked the on switch. It's been an amazing play through so far. I know you can play the missions over again but I wonder if there will be a New Game+ so you start off with all of your abilities on your next play through.
  • Antiversum
    35 posts
    edited June 2016
    To be honest, Dice can't story. They can graphics, they can sound, they might be the best at it but when it comes down to story CDPR is miles ahead of them, it's not even funny (and they bring garpichs and sound on top).

The story may be decent, not expecting more. There won't be characters with a lot of sides. If you expect this, you are wrong.
    And that issues like lag in cut scenes, this ugly traffic and popping up textures and bad textures all over the place are still in the game, it won't get high scores. And this will most likely be the last MIrror's Edge.
  • Hey Folks: Maybe it would be fair to consider the reviews in non-english countries as well. After all, their reviews are certainly no less professional.

As for Germany, some reviews are very uplifting:

PC Games: 85/100

Gamepro: 80/100

4players: 88/100 :)

Maybe it offers some comfort for you. It did certainly for me. Wunderbar!
  • Antiversum wrote: »
    To be honest, Dice can't story. They can graphics, they can sound, they might be the best at it but when it comes down to story CDPR is miles ahead of them, it's not even funny (and they bring garpichs and sound on top).

The story may be decent, not expecting more. There won't be characters with a lot of sides. If you expect this, you are wrong.
    And that issues like lag in cut scenes, this ugly traffic and popping up textures and bad textures all over the place are still in the game, it won't get high scores. And this will most likely be the last MIrror's Edge.

I can agree that the characters don't have very in depth backgrounds but comparing it to the Witcher series? That's a bit unfair because the Witcher story lines beat out just about every other game out there, lets compare apples to apples. Mirror's Edge: Catalyst would best be paired with something like Mafia or GTA (only cleaner and thank you for that Dice).

Lag in the cutscenes from what I've noticed has only affected older graphics cards, I haven't noticed any lag and my lowest frame rate has been 70 fps. The standard for games is the GTX 970 and AMD equivalent (290?). Attempting to run at a higher quality will cause lag.

I have yet to even care to see traffic because everything else makes up for anything street view from a distance. You are just asking for more lag due to processing. Still haven't seen any bad textures outside of beta, unless it's being limited due to a graphics card. As far as this being the last Mirror's Edge... I think Dice left themselves a lot of room to grow with all of the unused buildings in their map, I think this game has a lot more to do before the fire is extinguished and by the time the flame starts dying out once the game is completed, we will know more about the future of Faith and her place among gaming heroines.