/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
NVIDIA and AMD driver updates - Page 2 — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums

NVIDIA and AMD driver updates - Page 2

Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

NVIDIA and AMD driver updates

Comments

• ninemil
    218 posts
    edited June 2016
    Short google search turns up plenty of BSOD complaints in the time between the beta and the June 14th patch. Given how rare BSOD is now, particularly on Windows 10, I think you have your answer.

• the last driver update does not work mirror edge catalyst give me an error message that my drivers are out of date when i jest install the newest drivers.
  • The reason all of us are complaining is because there isn't even an option for legacy support. The PC I got had 2 5770s in crossfire, and they can run most games on ultra. Mirrors Edge ran fine on High, and then I updated and now I can't use my game anymore. I get that driver locks are for there for a reason, but why can't we have a workaroud to use at our own risk?
  • "I get that driver locks are for there for a reason"
    No, there is no reason.

Also just delete the initfs_Win32 file inside the Patch folder and the game should run, if your card works with the 15.12 driver version (since it did before, it will now).
  • KSA wrote: »
    "I get that driver locks are for there for a reason"
    No, there is no reason.

Also just delete the initfs_Win32 file inside the Patch folder and the game should run, if your card works with the 15.12 driver version (since it did before, it will now).

• zeraoo98
    130 posts
    edited June 2016
    Removed for violation of our Community Guidelines.
    Post edited by EAMod_Mike on
    f81c33dd99.png
  • NightRunner
    21 posts
    edited June 2016
  • zeraoo98
    130 posts
    edited June 2016
    f81c33dd99.png
  • Imaproshaman
    135 posts
    edited June 2016
    As I've said earlier: "I also have this problem! It seems a bit unfair that a game I waited 3 months for, and paid $60 for, is unplayable now. So you force update a game, don't fix the problem that the update was for, prevent a LOT of people from playing the game anymore, let alone even LAUNCHING the game in some cases, and then you don't even respond to the many, MANY forum posts about the issue? It seems rather unlikely that no one on the Dev team is monitoring the forums or even bothering to respond to them."

Okay, I realize that you said not to yell at Dice/EA, because it's not actually them. But, how is it that I can't play MEC at ALL yet I can STILL run GTAV??? MEC never lagged during gameplay, while GTAV does. Yet here we are. It just seems really dumb, honestly. It's probably too late for me to get a refund, anyways...
  • zeraoo98
    130 posts
    edited June 2016
    As I've said earlier: "I also have this problem! It seems a bit unfair that a game I waited 3 months for, and paid $60 for, is unplayable now. So you force update a game, don't fix the problem that the update was for, prevent a LOT of people from playing the game anymore, let alone even LAUNCHING the game in some cases, and then you don't even respond to the many, MANY forum posts about the issue? It seems rather unlikely that no one on the Dev team is monitoring the forums or even bothering to respond to them."

Okay, I realize that you said not to yell at Dice/EA, because it's not actually them. But, how is it that I can't play MEC at ALL yet I can STILL run GTAV??? MEC never lagged during gameplay, while GTAV does. Yet here we are. It just seems really ****, honestly. It's probably too late for me to get a refund, anyways...

You knew that your PC was below minimal requirements when you paid your money. You knew that it MIGHT or MIGHT NOT work, thus taking a risk. Now it's not working. You got no right to complain. If I eat a year old burger from Mac'D I can't go there and complain that I got stomach sick. They sold me a burger that's meant to be eaten within a day or two. I took the risk of having it on a shelf for a year.

Don't blame people that telling you "look, you need 650Ti / R9 270x or better and newer or we can't gurantee it will work". Then you shove it up your's granddads PC with "Radeon a la 2002" and want your money back... Ridiculous. Thy running it on a game boy and claim that the game does not install..
    f81c33dd99.png
  • You would have had a point if the game didn't work in the first place, but the Beta worked and the full game worked. It was only after the last update that it no longer worked.

Conclusion: There's nothing wrong with AMD cards, especially if cards that are extremely old can still run the game.

For the people that are actually having a proper complaint and want a solution, word is that AMD and DICE are working to getting this fixed, to get a warning rather than a complete lock-out.
  • zeraoo98
    130 posts
    edited June 2016
    You would have had a point if the game didn't work in the first place, but the Beta worked and the full game worked. It was only after the last update that it no longer worked.

Conclusion: There's nothing wrong with AMD cards, especially if cards that are extremely old can still run the game.

For the people that are actually having a proper complaint and want a solution, word is that AMD and DICE are working to getting this fixed, to get a warning rather than a complete lock-out.

You can't say it worked, when you did not conduct full testing on the game with test cases. Maybe something worked, but word is... a lot of people got BSOD and other stuff before the update. So I can't say it worked with your cards then. Doesn't matter if it worked or not. It's not guaranteed, thus not guaranteed. Period.

How hard can it be to understand. It's very good that your game worked for the given time, but you might as well get a BSOD and then come here telling how bad the game is, as it's crashes all the time. DICE does not want to mess around with old drivers, and they shouldn't. There for a valid requirement was put in place. All GPUs that are supported are supported. Yours aren't supported and never was. Go complain to AMD, they are to blame, not DICE or EA.

AMD are famous for bad support and drivers so I'm not surprised this happens.
    f81c33dd99.png
  • KSA wrote: »
    "I get that driver locks are for there for a reason"
    No, there is no reason.

Thanks man! Game works again after deleting this file... And I am happy.

And @zeraoo98 , AMD didn't lock the game... I have my AMD Radeon HD 5870 since 2010 and I still can play MEC on medium details at 30 fps. I understand that you are "nvidia fanboy", but all you have said about AMD is just a ****. I had Nvidia card just once. And it was definitely last time...
  • zeraoo98
    130 posts
    edited June 2016
    f81c33dd99.png
  • @zeraoo98 nVidia is good at convincing people that their stuff works when it doesn't.

Even DigitalFoundry fell for their nonsense. DF portrayed the GTX 970 as a superior card to the R9 390 in this game, because at Hyper Settings, the GTX 970 was beating the R9 390 significitantly. Ultimately, the GTX 970 was silently running at Ultra settings rather than Hyper settings.... When retested, guess what happened...

• i was also surprised to get an update for the game and suddenly it requested of me to update my drivers when before it worked just fine. anyway, i got the latest drivers for my R9 290x and the game ran fine afterwards. still running on max settings smoothly, no issues for me at least.
    but i did have noticed that after the update it needs longer to load the game and flickers a bit during loading which i never had before. but only during loading. never wile playing the game.

i should maybe mention that i use win 7 instead of 10.
  • metalrocks wrote: »
    i was also surprised to get an update for the game and suddenly it requested of me to update my drivers when before it worked just fine. anyway, i got the latest drivers for my R9 290x and the game ran fine afterwards. still running on max settings smoothly, no issues for me at least.
    but i did have noticed that after the update it needs longer to load the game and flickers a bit during loading which i never had before. but only during loading. never wile playing the game.

Remove settings file and redial all setting in game.
    f81c33dd99.png
  • @zeraoo98 nVidia is good at convincing people that their stuff works when it doesn't.

Even DigitalFoundry fell for their nonsense. DF portrayed the GTX 970 as a superior card to the R9 390 in this game, because at Hyper Settings, the GTX 970 was beating the R9 390 significitantly. Ultimately, the GTX 970 was silently running at Ultra settings rather than Hyper settings.... When retested, guess what happened...

I'm not telling AMD can't make functioning cards. I say that Nvidia has the best flagship cards, and their support (both customer support and driver support) is light years ahead of AMD.
    f81c33dd99.png
  • zeraoo98 wrote: »
    metalrocks wrote: »
    i was also surprised to get an update for the game and suddenly it requested of me to update my drivers when before it worked just fine. anyway, i got the latest drivers for my R9 290x and the game ran fine afterwards. still running on max settings smoothly, no issues for me at least.

thanks but as i said, its only during loading. to be even more specific; it happens only once wile loading for a split second. also yesterday it loaded faster. like it used to be.
    i guess the setting file is the "initfs_win32" i read earlier about.
    zeraoo98 wrote: »

thanks but as i said, its only during loading. to be even more specific; it happens only once wile loading for a split second. also yesterday it loaded faster. like it used to be.
    i guess the setting file is the "initfs_win32" i read earlier about.

I know what you mean. And no, setting file is located in Documents folder, in ME folder.
    f81c33dd99.png

I know what you mean. And no, setting file is located in Documents folder, in ME folder.

oh that one. to delete my profile. yeah, that certainly would do the trick. if things should get worse i may do it.

oh that one. to delete my profile. yeah, that certainly would do the trick. if things should get worse i may do it.

omg. You have the profile separate from settings file. Delete settings not save file.
    f81c33dd99.png

omg. You have the profile separate from settings file. Delete settings not save file.

no, the save and profile are in the setting folder.
  • zeraoo98
    130 posts
    edited June 2016

Step one. Open My computer
    Step two. Le click My Documents
    Step three. Open Mirrors edge folder
    Step four. Open settings folder
    Step five. Select PROF_SAVE_profile
    Step six. Click delete
    Step seven. Confirm deletion
    Step eight. Let the save file PROF_SAVE be as it is
    f81c33dd99.png
  • metalrocks
    192 posts
    edited June 2016

Step one. Open My computer
    Step two. Le click My Documents
    Step three. Open Mirrors edge folder
    Step four. Open settings folder
    Step five. Select PROF_SAVE_profile
    Step six. Click delete
    Step seven. Confirm deletion
    Step eight. Let the save file PROF_SAVE be as it is

lol. i did, but very rarely as you may have noticed.
  • Could someone walk me through how to delete the "initfs_win32" on Windows 10? I'm new to computer gaming and kinda lost.
  • zeraoo98
    130 posts
    edited June 2016
    Could someone walk me through how to delete the "initfs_win32" on Windows 10? I'm new to computer gaming and kinda lost.

Go to your MEC installation directory mine is at
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mirrors Edge Catalyst

Then open Patch folder and you see the file in there.

I recommend renaming it rather than deleting. In that case you will have a backup and game won't be able to find it, thus seeing it as "deleted".

Also, turn off game updating in origin so it won't be re-downloaded.
    f81c33dd99.png
    Could someone walk me through how to delete the "initfs_win32" on Windows 10? I'm new to computer gaming and kinda lost.

Go to your MEC installation directory mine is at
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mirrors Edge Catalyst

Then open Patch folder and you see the file in there.

I recommend renaming it rather than deleting. In that case you will have a backup and game won't be able to find it, thus seeing it as "deleted".

Also, turn off game updating in origin so it won't be re-downloaded.

Thank you!!:)
  • It worked! So far really choppy but it loaded up:)
  • It worked! So far really choppy but it loaded up:)

What's your PC specs?
    f81c33dd99.png