/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Well Done, DICE — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums
Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Well Done, DICE

I started gaming on the Atari back in the early 80's and was hooked. Since then I have enjoyed many different consoles and games, mostly sports and shooters. In 2008 I was truly captivated by the original ME; the music, visuals, and unique approach left a lasting impression and I always hoped there would be another installment. After playing the game for a few hours last night and then reading some of the negative reviews this morning, I felt I should write a few words with the small chance the developers might run across it.

This is not a review per se, as it will be limited, but I'll just say that Catalyst is everything I hoped it would be and more.

The city is stunning and far bigger than I expected, as well as creatively designed. There were a few times that I had to stop and look around because I was so wowed by my surroundings; the colors are so **** vibrant and brilliant that even simple offices and buildings are exceptionally beautiful. The original had the same look but for whatever reason it feels much more pronounced in Catalyst.

To my surprise, I have enjoyed the character acting. It's rare to see games do well with this, but they do a good job of portraying the different personalities. The fine detail in the facial expressions really helps, in my opinion. Plastic is a trip, by the way :smile:

The additional stuff like the fully open world, side missions, skill tree, MAG rope, etc., adds to the overall experience in a positive way I feel, but there is one thing for me that has made the biggest impact and it is the reason I registered and made this post: the combat mechanics. I read review after review about the combat system being terrible and all I could do was wonder what game these people were really playing. The first time I put a ridiculous combo together, shifting around, dodging attacks, counter attacking, and finishing them off with a kick to the side of the face shattering their face mask I almost dropped the controller. I know the game is about running and I love it for that reason, but it is **** fun to beat the **** out of four guys and do it in such a fluid and powerful way.

At the end of the day I am only one voice but I just want to say thank you for the efforts you guys put into Catalyst; I am enjoying it thoroughly.

Comments

• Morgatron
    27 posts
    edited June 2016
    I agree completely, this game doesn't deserve the low scores it's getting. DICE needs to know that they nailed it with this one, and if the only way we can tell them that is through these forums, then so be it. I'm gonna write a review on these forums as well.
  • Morgatron wrote: »
    I agree completely, this game doesn't deserve the low scores it's getting. DICE needs to know that they nailed it with this one, and if the only way we can tell them that is through these forums, then so be it. I'm gonna write a review on these forums as well.

I posted one as well, figured providing some background and thanks to the devs would be a great way to show how the gen pop's reception of their game is.
  • Mildocjr wrote: »
    I posted one as well, figured providing some background and thanks to the devs would be a great way to show how the gen pop's reception of their game is.
    I'm typing mine up now, swing by later if you want to check it out. It will be very in depth, so get ready for some reading.
  • Mildocjr wrote: »
    Ok my review is posted on the general discussions, you should check it out.
  • Morgatron wrote: »
    Mildocjr wrote: »
    Ok my review is posted on the general discussions, you should check it out.

Will do here's minehttps://forums.mirrorsedge.com/discussion/2018/reply-to-welcome-to-mirrors-edge-catalyst#latest
  • Otchum
    39 posts
    edited June 2016
    I already wrote a direct message to Vincent, our community manager, to create a sticky thread where we could collect all of our reviews. To reply from him yet.
    As a European, it starts for me tomorrow.

EDIT: According to his twitter account, he his currently sick. Well, get well Vincent. And after that, we could really use a common review thread or subforum.
  • That'd be nice. I feel that the forums need more sub-sections, beta is out of it, and this is the place to go for all things Mirror's Edge.