/// This is an archived version of the official forums, which went offline in September 2017. Functionality is limited. Visit the Mirror's Edge Archive to learn more. ///
Hey, what are you doing here? — Mirror's Edge™ Catalyst Forums
Forum Closure and Move to Answers HQ - read more here!

Hey, what are you doing here?

Yes it is true, Mirror's edge is dead. The devs do not communicate with fans, refuse to update the game with a much needed patch, no dlc, and they gave up on the game half way through development and rushed the rest of it. And Dice can't judge me for saying all that because they distance themselves so much from the Mirror's Edge community...or what's left of it. I mean you have fans paying to get tattoos with the ME logo and Faith's arm tattoo, just imagine how **** a few of them must feel after they have played Catalyst. This was the chance to make Mirrors Edge the great game that it could of been back in 2008 but Dice blew it and I highly doubt EA is going to let them continue the franchise. I honestly do not want another ME game from Dice since the first one was "eh" and Catalyst was terrible, better off selling the game to another company and let them take a crack at it. But even with all that being said, I still can't deny the true fact that ME's concept is great. The red and white art style, parkour, female protagonist, futuristic city, it all works if you put the time and effort into making the game. Who knows what the heck was going on during dev time, maybe **** went to hay and EA forced them to push it out because too much time was already spent on it and it was far too late to scrap and start over. Most likely we will never know, but what we do know is this forum is here and it's not going anywhere. So i'm creating this discussion for any fans of Mirror's Edge that would like to chat about the game or anything else ME related. I have been checking up on this forum at least once every week since launch and I thought it would be a decent idea to just go ahead and finally make a discussion. See you around!

Comments

• Maybe there mega busy with starwars and battlefield but the game is epic i think they might be creating DLC who knows i hope so,
  • Hah. You only joined today and you already started saying about how dead this game is. It never dies. If you really love these type of games you wouldn't have to write about this. We still have hopes to make Mirror's Edge great. I find your lack of faith disturbing. *pun intended*
    I am Iman.
  • I made an account today, doesnt mean i havent checked on the forum before. I'm not here to argue with other players. If you feel this way then just tell me what you like about the game, it is a discussion after all.
  • Tetrabytes wrote: »
    Maybe there mega busy with starwars and battlefield but the game is epic i think they might be creating DLC who knows i hope so,

I just wish they would connect with us more, I still do not think EA will let them do dlc since the game is not making a lot of money. I mean, it was 12 dollars on the psn store because of the winter sale...
  • Tetrabytes wrote: »
    Maybe there mega busy with starwars and battlefield but the game is epic i think they might be creating DLC who knows i hope so,

I know you say it's "epic" but they could of done more right? I feel like the game was super short and the charecters were paper thin. I really liked Nomad and birdman but both of their appearances were super short in the game. Plus the map was a bit too tight, like once you got the grappling hook and moved to the next location it just got a bit clunky.
  • The game made the money expected. ME:C was more of a side game in the list DICE was developing, much liek the first game, it's highly experimental in some fields and required probably less people to work on it than their major game development.
    Also EA these years...
    I'm sure we'll see a new game announce in 4 - 5 years, but not much.

To develop a DLC they need to have quite an extensive player database and the game ain't showing great activities as of 2017.

They delivered what was promised, a game with all its pros and cons. Their hope on the extension of the game remained on the challenge run & beat L.E. you can create.
    I'm sure the more it'll progress over the year, the more we'll see a die hard community exchanging speedrun.
  • Grappas_Hammer
    2 posts
    edited January 21
    So yes, I also signed up just for this.

I don't get the fuzz. It's a singleplayer game that came out like 8 months or so (if I'm not mistaken). What do you expect the developers to do now?

Yes, the final mission was done rather carelessly. And the game surely isn't perfect.

But apart from that? According to Origin I spent exactly 60 hours on this game. I loved all of it. For me, it's probably the most fun I had in a game since Skyrim in 2011. Really hoping for another successor one day <3
    The game made the money expected.
    Could you give a source? That's great to hear!
  • So yes, I also signed up just for this.

I don't get the fuzz. It's a singleplayer game that came out like 8 months or so (if I'm not mistaken). What do you expect the developers to do now?

Yes, the final mission was done rather carelessly. And the game surely isn't perfect.

But apart from that? According to Origin I spent exactly 60 hours on this game. I loved all of it. For me, it's probably the most fun I had in a game since Skyrim in 2011. Really hoping for another successor one day <3

$60 and four years of hype it was a bit of a let down. But you guys need to explain what you like about the game so much, please i would love to know.
  • From my taste, there's a lot to like about the game.

First of all, it's the atmosphere, the "world" the game takes place in. Although there is not the kind of "exploration" you would find in a fantasy type of game, I always enjoyed just strolling around, especially when I just had a few minutes for gaming - Maybe just delivering a package, maybe just messing a bit with KrugerSec, not following the storyline, just fooling around and enjoying the stunning visuals, the music and the movement.

Which is second to none, I know of no other game which handles jumping, wallrunning and stuff from 1st person so well.

But I quickly found out that just clubbing people unconscious is no fun at all. The combat itself isn't done well. Running away and not getting hit is way more fun and could even have been great, just if Shock protectors and Sentinels actually had an AI that would follow you. I agree that, regarding to close-combat, there's much to be disappointed about.

For me, it's mainly the world and the story (except for the end) that got me hooked. I have spent hundreds of hours in other open world games like the "The Elder Scrolls" series. No missions that force me to do something, playing the game at my own pace. ME has very good and thrilling "quests", for the most part. Absolutely stunning graphics and different parts of the city that don't look, but actually "feel" and play differently. I was trying to learn about the "lore", like when does the game take place, how many people do live in the greylands, what is Omnistat up to, ...

There's a lot of room for improvement, but the game universe of Mirror's Edge got me hooked for several weeks and 60 hours. I will definitly replay this game in the future, just like I played the first Mirror's Edge for 3 times or so.

First of all, it's the atmosphere, the "world" the game takes place in. Although there is not the kind of "exploration" you would find in a fantasy type of game, I always enjoyed just strolling around, especially when I just had a few minutes for gaming - Maybe just delivering a package, maybe just messing a bit with KrugerSec, not following the storyline, just fooling around and enjoying the stunning visuals, the music and the movement.

Which is second to none, I know of no other game which handles jumping, wallrunning and stuff from 1st person so well.

But I quickly found out that just clubbing people unconscious is no fun at all. The combat itself isn't done well. Running away and not getting hit is way more fun and could even have been great, just if Shock protectors and Sentinels actually had an AI that would follow you. I agree that, regarding to close-combat, there's much to be disappointed about.

For me, it's mainly the world and the story (except for the end) that got me hooked. I have spent hundreds of hours in other open world games like the "The Elder Scrolls" series. No missions that force me to do something, playing the game at my own pace. ME has very good and thrilling "quests", for the most part. Absolutely stunning graphics and different parts of the city that don't look, but actually "feel" and play differently. I was trying to learn about the "lore", like when does the game take place, how many people do live in the greylands, what is Omnistat up to, ...

There's a lot of room for improvement, but the game universe of Mirror's Edge got me hooked for several weeks and 60 hours. I will definitly replay this game in the future, just like I played the first Mirror's Edge for 3 times or so.

Dying light has really good parkour, Mirror's Edge feels stiff. The combat is really bad and the fact that it stayed that way in the game from beginning to end and story missions required you to use it goes to show that dice just didn't want to go out of their way to doing anything about it. And it would of been okay if the game was $30 but it was full blown $60. Plus they announced the game way too early and then delayed it for 7 months and it came out to be bad. The exploration on console is bad because everything is rendering in so late, plus the massive dead zones in the joysticks make it hard to walk and slowly look around. Sure you could use low sensitivity but when actually playing missions you are better off with it set pretty high. That reveal trailer back in june 2013 should of never happened, it looks as if it is cg and with the title not yet being Catalyst it's obvious the game was still an idea at the time and was barely even developed yet. 2014's e3 trailer made it seem like the game had just started being worked on and with that small dev team it makes sense. But if they wouldn't have announced the game in 2013 and just left that small dev team to work on it then a couple years from now we could of had a much better game. It says "coming...when its ready" like yea right ****?

I suggest you take a look at this topic:
    https://forums.mirrorsedge.com/discussion/2719/revenue-analysis-suggests-1-7-2-million-copies-sold
    There are many reports that you can find here and there showing that EA was satisfied with the sales it did. The game probably didn't need as much money as their big title for the development and it sold rather well compared. It's no surprise EA is pleased about the sales.

I suggest you take a look at this topic:
    https://forums.mirrorsedge.com/discussion/2719/revenue-analysis-suggests-1-7-2-million-copies-sold
    There are many reports that you can find here and there showing that EA was satisfied with the sales it did. The game probably didn't need as much money as their big title for the development and it sold rather well compared. It's no surprise EA is pleased about the sales.

I wouldn't believe everything you read on the internet if I was you. This is the gaming industry we are talking about. The game released in may, for one week you could buy MEC on the ps store for 12 bux because of the winter sale that went down last year, only 6 months after the game released. Battlefield 1 sales were amazing and I absolutely guarentee you that game will not be 12 bux on the ps store 6 months from now, so please don't try to argue that the game was 12 bux because dice made all the money they needed on the game already. I don't want to say everyone here is in denial but if you purchased the game when it was on sale and just heard about it last year then of course you are not butt hurt about the games story and playability. But for someone like me that has been patiently hyped since 2013's reveal trailer and purchased the game for 60 whole dollars on launch day, i think i have the right to feel betrayed by the company. It said "when it's ready"....
  • You all need to think about the fact that they did not even make the game fans were asking for since 2008. No multiplayer, not a massive open world, no changable outfits, fans wanted a SEQUEL not a prequel, real time multiplayer races, and a day and night cycle. Yes it is true that there is a day and night cycle in MEC but it is terrible. It feels like once you beat the story it is stuck at night time for years and then once it is finally day time it only lasts two seconds. And they wont patch the **** game even with all the obvious bugs! It doesnt matter if they were happy with the sales or not, they can't go out of their way to patch it?? And they never speak to their fans, their fb page is dead.
  • Believing is the worst thing that can happen, knowing is much better.
    Laura Miele (EA Head of Global Publishin) gave an interview about several lines concerning what EA managed, what EA is doing and what they wanna do for the future. One of the topic discussed was Mirror's Edge Catalyst which she said pleased the board because it sold well. FACT.
    I won't give you the link so you won't have to "believe" but rather I let you search for it, it shouldn't be too hard.
    There's no need to be angry, things like DLC and such don't "comes out" suddenly out of the developers head. In case you didn't know in the post-2010 era, they are planned well ahead before the release of the game. If it wasn't the case, chances are we won't see a DLC and I think it was pretty obvious since the beginning. The game needs none. It's an open world with almost endless parkour possibilities. That's what the game sold you, if you want more story you just bought the wrong game I'm afraid.
    Their facebook page is not entirely dead but they seems to have retreat indeed. Fault could be that they had Really big things going on. In case you didn't know, DICE is also the developers of Star Wars Battlefront (which still has DLC being released to this day) and Battlefield 1 (which is also in very active development).
    Mirror's edge wasn't expecting the same population. It sold what it was supposed to sell. But it was never envisioned as a big leading game such as Star Wars and Battlefield. The community is far too small.
    If you want the whole story, let me remind you that the first Mirror's Edge flopped. Big time. Sure it became the classic hit everyone knows now but when it got released in 2008 the game just did not make its money back. The simple fact we got a sequel is just a miracle and you could bet they didn't take risk on this one. Investing little, refreshing the concept (Sci Fi city, modern tech, beautiful engine) and made it more casual so it would attract more people. It's also very likely why we didn't get DLC. Cos nobody would have bought them. Let's be honest, if they release DLC now, despite the fact you really want them, statistically, there are far greater chances that the DLC won't makes its money back.
    So yeah, the game sold, despite the mixed review.
  • Believing is the worst thing that can happen, knowing is much better.
    Laura Miele (EA Head of Global Publishin) gave an interview about several lines concerning what EA managed, what EA is doing and what they wanna do for the future. One of the topic discussed was Mirror's Edge Catalyst which she said pleased the board because it sold well. FACT.
    I won't give you the link so you won't have to "believe" but rather I let you search for it, it shouldn't be too hard.
    There's no need to be angry, things like DLC and such don't "comes out" suddenly out of the developers head. In case you didn't know in the post-2010 era, they are planned well ahead before the release of the game. If it wasn't the case, chances are we won't see a DLC and I think it was pretty obvious since the beginning. The game needs none. It's an open world with almost endless parkour possibilities. That's what the game sold you, if you want more story you just bought the wrong game I'm afraid.
    Their facebook page is not entirely dead but they seems to have retreat indeed. Fault could be that they had Really big things going on. In case you didn't know, DICE is also the developers of Star Wars Battlefront (which still has DLC being released to this day) and Battlefield 1 (which is also in very active development).
    Mirror's edge wasn't expecting the same population. It sold what it was supposed to sell. But it was never envisioned as a big leading game such as Star Wars and Battlefield. The community is far too small.
    If you want the whole story, let me remind you that the first Mirror's Edge flopped. Big time. Sure it became the classic hit everyone knows now but when it got released in 2008 the game just did not make its money back. The simple fact we got a sequel is just a miracle and you could bet they didn't take risk on this one. Investing little, refreshing the concept (Sci Fi city, modern tech, beautiful engine) and made it more casual so it would attract more people. It's also very likely why we didn't get DLC. Cos nobody would have bought them. Let's be honest, if they release DLC now, despite the fact you really want them, statistically, there are far greater chances that the DLC won't makes its money back.
    So yeah, the game sold, despite the mixed review.

You need very hard FACTS and PROOF that this game sold well, I wont take EA's word for it. And even if it did sell, it's like cod ghosts, sold well but got rushed back to the shelves fast af
  • I actually extremely regret making this post now because all i'm getting back is negativity. I try to read these comments as nice as possible but no matter what they seem like **** talking. I don't want to believe the community for this game is as bad as it seems but dang the first comment i got for this post was a slap in the face. Thank's guys, i wont be checking up on this post any more and I will not be coming back to this forum. I have been checking it tons since launch but no news from devs and none of you want to talk about the games story or the past game like I suggested in this discussion post so screw it. I'm sure it was my fault, maybe i shouldn't have gone all out with my opinion when making the postc and for that I apologize to anyone I offended.
  • Why would they lie about it? Publishers have no reasons at all to lie about their revenue. When a game fails to meet expectation by the way, they say it. I was so disappointed with SEGA's ALIEN: Isolation. I think it's a masterpiece. But publisher have been very open that the game did not meet the expectation and Developers were very pessimist towards the possibility of a sequel.
    When a game flop, you can be sure you would know about it. There are still plenty of people playing ME:C. My Origin's friend list is full of them. Sure it ain't as large as Battlefield or Star Wars but the community is here.

Then again, we could argue we never went to space and that NASA is creating is all a lie because "I haven't been to space" but I'd rather take NASA on this take (with caution of course everytime) than just be a reactionary guy to everything that is said.

The sales makes sense and EA reaction is very believable compared to all the data that lays around.
    Development cost of ME:C was somehow short compared to others DICE big titles so sales weren't expected to be the same. The prequel flopped terribly so they took the thing this time with a lot of precautions and spent probably less money on it and more in marketing. Sounds rational so far and yes, the game did sell I think, just look at how many twitch there were on day one, the amount of youtubers having it on their playlist. It's not like we are 10 people to have discovered the game. Plus on PC it's an EA exclusive that sells through their plateforme Origin. More income, less to spend in advertisement. It does make sense to be honest.

Relax, no need to be angry and there's a function to edit your post instead of multi-posting (top right gear symbol).
  • well to the OP ive created a time trial if you want to race me on mirrors edge its called { faiths cat walk } come and race me on my trial,mwahahaha
    Also i have only just started my mirrors edge journey this week and I was trying to help you as to your opening post

• ImUrFriend
    167 posts
    edited January 23
    Can we all get along and just play this lovely game? Go and beat some of the best Time Trials out there. Get going runner!
    I am Iman.

Dying light has really good parkour, Mirror's Edge feels stiff. The combat is really bad and the fact that it stayed that way in the game from beginning to end and story missions required you to use it goes to show that dice just didn't want to go out of their way to doing anything about it. And it would of been okay if the game was $30 but it was full blown $60. Plus they announced the game way too early and then delayed it for 7 months and it came out to be bad. The exploration on console is bad because everything is rendering in so late, plus the massive dead zones in the joysticks make it hard to walk and slowly look around. Sure you could use low sensitivity but when actually playing missions you are better off with it set pretty high. That reveal trailer back in june 2013 should of never happened, it looks as if it is cg and with the title not yet being Catalyst it's obvious the game was still an idea at the time and was barely even developed yet. 2014's e3 trailer made it seem like the game had just started being worked on and with that small dev team it makes sense. But if they wouldn't have announced the game in 2013 and just left that small dev team to work on it then a couple years from now we could of had a much better game. It says "coming...when its ready" like yea right ****?

Dying light is a good game, yes, but to me the parkour is somewhat tedious. Its a game that focuses around it, yes, but the parkour in dying light is very different to the parkour in mirrors edge, mirrors edge parkour alows you to be more flexible in the abilities you can pull off, if anything i think that dying light parkour is way more stiff. It compliments its open world yes, but if you were, for example, to put dying light parkour in the mirrors edge open world, it would fail constantly, because to me its a type of system only built for its own world, however mirrors edge catalyst parkour is more rewarding, and it is a system that can be used in multiple environments... I don't see the problem with its parkour, its combat may of been a slight let down for me but it was a swift quick experience when running through the city.

I respect your views though, its your opinion of course. I just think the game gets a hard time for what it is, the game isn't a fail, yes yes theres room for improvement and all, but every game is like that, every game has room for improvement, wether its a small amount or large amount of improvement...

Mirrors edge catalyst is almost like an experiment, in good time, i reckon we will see new things for its future...